FC1 Physical Information

Guest Ragansundowner

How can I get a FC1 scheduled?

Also, would the FC1 count as a civilian flight medical?

Thanks for your help,

Sven

Guest ColMustard

Call your local recruiter, they'll setup the physical and all the paperwork that goes with it.

Guest bammer35

If you are out the AF, then see the above post. If you are on active duty then you can schedule with flight medicine.

Although the FC1 is more difficult than the FAA, the FAA does not take AF physicals nor vice versa. Good luck.

Guest navobd

FC1 will not count as a civilian flight physical unless the flight doc administering the physical is an FAA AME.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hokie00

I got my Flying Class 1A exam done at Andrews AFB, Maryland. My dilated cyclo exam came out to -3.25L and -3.75R, and I got 20/200 for visual acuity. whew on the border line.. what a relief. I passed the depth perception tests (I took this several times at MEPS and at civilian ophthamalogist and I never had a problem with depth perception tests. fortunately)and everything except my refraction should be good to go. My refraction has been stable for about 6 years at around -3.5 each eye. I'm 27 years old. Ok anyways, here are my questions.

1) I had some cavities and the dentist at the base qualifed me for FCII. This wont be a problem as long as I go to a private dentist and get the cavities fixed and have the proper documents faxed in, right? Do I need to get the cavities fixed before my packet can get to the Surgeon General? (I was recently laid off and I dont have dental insurance anymore. I should have taken care of this while I had insurance)

2) I searched through all the old posts, but I can't find much info on excessive refraction waivers for navigators. The consensus seems to be that as long as its within -4.50, they will get you the waiver without much grief. Is that correct? I dont know if thats an urben legend or not.

All feedbacks/advices GREATLY appreciated. F16MD and other valuable contributors who give out monumental advices, I'm thanking you ahead. :D

Guest laurendenise28

Hi,

I had to get my cavatites taken care of before they would send my paperwork anywhere since it was a class I physical. I am surprised they did not tell you the same...I'm no expert, thought, but I though cavaties not taken care of were a DQ for a class I. Also, if I remember correctly you should get an automatic waiver no problem with your refractive error. Good luck!

-Lauren

Lauren's right about cavities being DQ for the IFC-1. When I took my physical it turned out that I had a couple. The next day I scheduled with a civilian dentist; $500 and an hour later i had the fax lines humming with a letter signed by the DMD. I asked several different people at the base hospital who the letter should be sent to and I got a different answer each time so I just sent it to all of them to better my chances of it (sooner) getting in the right hands.

Ask your dentist to be specific in his letter, i.e. which tooth numbers had cavities and were fixed, as well as your SS#.

So yes, as much as it sucks, you'll have to just bite the bullet (somewhat literally) and shell out the scratch to get yourself "healthy" in hopes that the muddy river of your paperwork will soon begin flowing upstream again.

Yah, the whole dental thing sucks before Active Duty. Back in the day, they wouldn't commission me until I had all of my wisdom teeth pulled (at my own expense).

Guest F16PilotMD

Holes in your teeth are DQ for IFC-1A. If they send your package (sts) to the SG, it will get denied...so they won't. You have to get the holes filled.

I know nothing about nav eye waivers. Sorry, been with single-seat fighters my whole life.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ragansundowner

I wasn't sure if this should go under the General Discussion or Aviation Medicine forum, so I just figured I'd toss it here.

I got my FC1 completed back in January of this year. At the time, my recruiter told me everything looked good and I would probably have it approved and receive an OTS class start date by mid-march. It's now the beginning of may and I'm not even sure if the FC1 has left the base I originally took it at to go to Randolph. My recruiter seems a little reluctant to return phone calls and I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to find out where the physical is right now and how long things are going to take.

Always ready to hurry up and wait, hehe.

-R.S.

Guest jassayag

I had the same problem when I took my FC1. My recruiter still didn't take me seriously back then and was obviously more interested in handling his enlisted applicants than me. What I did was I called the clinic at the base that I had the FC1 and I hounded the tech there until I could get a straight answer. As it turned out, my FC1 had been sitting for a few MONTHS waiting on a re-examination, which I'm convinced they weren't going to tell me about. Once that was done, I called the tech at the clinic about twice a week until he said that it had been sent out. After that, I called about once a week or every two weeks until it came back with the approval. I know what you are going through so I feel your pain. Be proactive about it, but be sure you are still respectful to everyone over at the lab. Just start out by asking where the packet is, when it got sent out, how much longer before it gets certified. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Guest EZ206PILOT

I had almost the same exact experience. You have to let the technicians know that you are serious. However if you over step the line, your physical might disappear. Just be cautious but firm.

Guest kack

I had an FC1 for OTS application. OTS did not woek out so I am enrolling in gradute school and ROTC. I was hoping I would not have to go through another FC1. Just curious how long it will be valid. Thanks

Guest kack

thanks for the response. I also have a PRK waiver. Now when the FC1 expires will I have to go through a complete physical to keep it updated?

Guest F16PilotMD

As long as nothing has changed, it's just a paperwork drill to re-charge your IFC-1 and waiver. Not completely painless but it should not be a problem. You won't magically lose your PRK waiver. I would work WAY in advance so you don't expire...easier to recharge before you expire. ~6 months lead time but talk to the flight docs.

Guest birddog

I passed an Army FCI physical earlier this year and am going to take the USAF FC1 soon. What are some of the differences between the two?

Guest EZ206PILOT

From what I heard they are the exact same tests, so I would check to see if you even need to take it again.

Guest birddog

That logically makes sense to me as well, but you know as well as I do it was not administered by the USAF and therefore they probably don't want anything to do with it. However, as you mentioned it is worth checking into. Thanks for the info.

Guest HueyPilot

I had an Army FC1 on file (I was an Army aviator on active flying duty, and every other year you get an FC1 in the Army), and the USAF wouldn't accept it, so I had to get another one done.

Government beauracracy at it's finest.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AKROTC

Hey all,

I'll be at Columbus for UPT in about 3 weeks. However, I'm not starting class until Nov 4. My FC1 will be 3 years old in August, and I know you need a current FC1 and FC2 to start UPT. So, what's the deal? Are they going to make me retake an FC1 and do an FC2 as well? Or will they just give me an FC2 like normal to augment the FC1? Or maybe an FC1 to cover both? I'm hoping since I'll be there and inprocessed and just 2 months from class start when the FC1 expires that something can be worked out. I'd rather not go through that again.... Any help is appreciated!

Guest F16PilotMD

I would talk to the people at CBM NOW and ask them if you can get your FC2 before August. I don't know who you should talk to anymore. There used to be an "incoming students" office for people in your shoes...get there before you start UPT...don't know what the situation is now. From a medical standpoint there is no reason why you can't get a FC2 early so your IFC1 doesn't expire. If they let your IFC1 expire it just means more work for them and makes no sense.

Guest AKROTC

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll be working in the transitions office at Columbus when I get there in 3 weeks. I'll be sure to get an FC2 scheduled ASAP. I just wasn't sure if my IFC-1 ALSO had to be current in order to start UPT. From what you are saying, it sounds like once the FC2 is complete, it then aguments and updates the IFC-1. Thanks again!

Guest F16PilotMD

Oh, I missed the question....

I believe that if you get a FC2 before your IFC1 expires, you are good to go. You shouldn't need both. In fact, several folks will not be able to pass an IFC1 anymore but they can pass a FC2. Most common reason is vision. Lots of guys will get glasses during that initial physical at UPT. No problem.

Having said that...yours is an unusual situation. AETC doesn't always handle those with the utmost of common sense. Beware and ask them early.

• 1 month later...
Guest hokie00

I got a call on the way to work today from my FC1A Point of Contact. I couldn't answer the phone but he left a message saying that my physical is now "complete" and that he is trying to get in touch with my recruiter so that the package can change hands. (my POC is out of the office for the day since and that is why I'm posting. Looking for a quick answer).

When you say the physical is "complete", does it mean the flight doc has finished writing up the aeromedical summary and now it is ready to be shipped off to AETC for approval,

or does it mean that the physical HAS COME BACK from AETC approved?

As far as I understand it, the recruiter picks up the flight physical package AFTER it has been approved by AETC and the only thing left is to get the candidate assigned an OTS date.

Am I correct? By the way, I had my initial physical 3 months ago. I had to go back couple more times because they kept forgetting to schedule a complete test and finally all tests have been administered and all documentations have been gathered about 7 weeks ago.