Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

I might be one of the last guys still trying to use an expired ATP written and I may be out of luck, but I was wondering if any of you have had any recent successful experiences?
I know several on here, such as Busted and Snuggie, who've clarified with their respective FSDO's that the SFAR pertains to both deployments and overseas assignments, but I've called two offices in my local area and both are pretty adamant about interpreting "Armed Forces' operation" as the former and not the latter.
Does this just come down to me calling every FSDO until I get the answer I need?  Or is it the DPE's that I need to convince?  I figured they're attached to the local office, so I'd need to eventually persuade both, but I'm not the smartest FAA dude and wasn't positive on how the relationship worked.
If I need to go to somewhere like Tulsa for the practical and then OKC because that's the only FSDO that'll accept the paperwork that's fine. I'm wondering - if I find a school/DPE willing to work with me elsewhere in the country, can I go to my local office and say here you go or will they give me the same rejection they did on the phone?  I may be overthinking this.
Anyhow, I tested Jul '14, PCS'd overseas Nov '14 and I'm just now moving back.  Life kinda got in the way and I was never able to get stateside and take the practical  

I will be in the same boat. But the SFAR seems clear to me.

The avg FSDO guy doesn’t understand the difference between deployment/OS so I plan to have a memorandum stating I “was assigned overseas as part of a military operation” which is vague but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Myself and at least a couple others have used Del Sol in ABQ and an examiner in Farmington with no issues. It’s kinda pricey (~$3500 w/o travel/lodging) and the instruction lacking. But the checkride is fair and none of us have had issues. PM with your email and I’ll send you all the gouge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, isuguy1234 said:

U can check in with “Retz” here...

https://m.facebook.com/cfsaircraft/

Chennault Flying Service will help u out,  just verified. Not sure where u r, but his op is in North Las Vegas. There r others like u

Thanks for the info and IP demo of the never briefed, rarely practiced flip-phone, T9-word-degraded BODN post.

Guys, thanks for the responses.  It helps to know there are a few still out there going this route.  I was somewhat discouraged after the first two FSDO's laughed me off the phone. 

I'd heard the Memphis gig shutdown.  I could be wrong.  I'll check it out and also give Del Sol and Retz a look.  Thanks for the point outs.

MooseClub - I haven't heard any OKC-specific recommendations, but closest to the area that I know dudes have already mentioned is TCC.  I believe Andrea Pharris is the one to call for scheduling.  If the OKC FSDO is accepting the SFAR with no questions, I was going to try and also give them a ring.  I'll see what they say.

Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with somewhere in Oklahoma to do the practical?  

Oklahoma Aviation (flying out of Wiley Post) has a great airplane and Bret Wyatt is a decent instructor. It is expensive training though since the 2011 Baron G58 rents at $775/hr wet.

The gal at TCC (Tulsa Community College, flying out of R.L. Jones), as mentioned above, is also good. I don’t remember the pricing there.

For the OK area, do your practical in Wichita Falls, TX with James McElvain. No reason to use any other DPE.

7 hours ago, eindecker said:

I'd heard the Memphis gig shutdown.  I could be wrong.  I'll check it out and also give Del Sol and Retz a look.  Thanks for the point outs.

I had a buddy very recently go through Downtown Aviation in Memphis for his Practical. 2 day trip and he’s done. Cost was reasonable as well. 

• 5 months later...

Know several fighter bros who went through Cobra Kai in Wichita Falls with great things to say about them.  Maybe not the cheapest option, but sounds like a place that understands where fighter guys are coming from/going and will get you what you need.

• 2 months later...

Several years old gouge, but circa 2016 skywarriors was using some power douche DPEs...mil guys hooking left and right. I went to downtown and had a great experience - length and cost of course were right and the instruction/exam was good...they have the right sight picture for mil pilots getting ATPs. 

Hopefully skywarriors stopped using those DPEs,  it worth some further research before you commit to that option.

Edited by brabus

On 4/30/2019 at 1:37 PM, brabus said:

Know several fighter bros who went through Cobra Kai in Wichita Falls with great things to say about them.  Maybe not the cheapest option, but sounds like a place that understands where fighter guys are coming from/going and will get you what you need.

I got mine at Cobra Kai.  Recommend.

• 1 month later...

I am also returning from an overseas assignment and am looking to take the ATP checkride under the old system.  I am now at Dover...any recent experiences/recommendations for places around the east coast?  I contacted CTI at Memphis this morning and am waiting on a response.

Thanks for the help.  Cheers. 🤙 

Edited by doubleu
still hungover?

I am also returning from an overseas assignment and am looking to take the ATP checkride under the old system.  I am now at Dover...any recent experiences/recommendations for places around the east coast?  I contacted CTI at Memphis this morning and am waiting on a response.
Thanks for the help.  Cheers.  

Memphis is east coast? If you’re willing to go that far, check out Downtown Aviation in Memphis. Haven’t heard much about them recently, but when I went there it was very military friendly. Not easy, but got the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk