Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

1 hour ago, DINO said:

Anyone had any experiences with MIL2ATP in NC recently? Heard mixed reviews

Recently did my ATP through there and was very happy.  The instructors are retired fighter types and have a good handle on knowing what you'll need to watch out for if you're a fighter or military type.  I have zero complaints about the program and would highly recommend it.  The main examiner that they use seems like she could be a little quirky but taking 15 minutes to talk to someone that has recently checked with her will set you up for success.  The biggest thing about the examiner is that she doesn't like cocky military pilots, and she's had a couple scare her during landings.  However, all of this is a non-factor if you show prepared and humble.  Her ground eval is a non-factor if you show prepared and that's how you set the tone for the check ride.  After the ground eval and especially the first 5 minutes of the flight I really tried to be professional and set the tone right and I could visibly see her relax, and from that point on I probably would have had to have done something really stupid to fail.  From then on she kept on speeding up the profile to get it over with.  So, Mil2ATP is great.  The examiner is very fair if you show prepared and with a good attitude.  Should be standard ROE for a military pilot so no one should have anything to worry about if you go there. 

• Upvote 1

Recently did my ATP through there and was very happy.  The instructors are retired fighter types and have a good handle on knowing what you'll need to watch out for if you're a fighter or military type.  I have zero complaints about the program and would highly recommend it.  The main examiner that they use seems like she could be a little quirky but taking 15 minutes to talk to someone that has recently checked with her will set you up for success.  The biggest thing about the examiner is that she doesn't like cocky military pilots, and she's had a couple scare her during landings.  However, all of this is a non-factor if you show prepared and humble.  Her ground eval is a non-factor if you show prepared and that's how you set the tone for the check ride.  After the ground eval and especially the first 5 minutes of the flight I really tried to be professional and set the tone right and I could visibly see her relax, and from that point on I probably would have had to have done something really stupid to fail.  From then on she kept on speeding up the profile to get it over with.  So, Mil2ATP is great.  The examiner is very fair if you show prepared and with a good attitude.  Should be standard ROE for a military pilot so no one should have anything to worry about if you go there. 

I know a lot of people that have used them and this checks with all the reviews I've heard, I start with them very soon so I'll update as required.

On 3/30/2016 at 3:38 AM, badasspilot said:

If anyone is in/willing to travel to the Little Rock area to complete their ATP, send me a message.   Very military friendly program.  

Post the info in the thread.  I'm sure there are several people that are interested.

The part most people are concerned with...cost:

Airplane: $350/hr x 6hrs(including checkride) = $2100

Instructor: $400

DPE: $500

Total: $3000

Dates/Times are very flexible but most people typically enjoy fly, fly, check over 3 days.  

The flights will be in a Cessna 310 and will be flown out of North Little Rock Airport (KORK).

Batting average is 100%.

PM for more details/scheduling info.

www.mikejones.aero

Edited by badasspilot

10 hours ago, badasspilot said:

The part most people are concerned with...cost:

Airplane: $350/hr x 6hrs(including checkride) = $2100

Instructor: $400

DPE: $500

Total: $3000

That's cheaper than most places are going to cost you at this point.

On 4/2/2016 at 6:34 AM, Toro said:

That's cheaper than most places are going to cost you at this point.

This.

I had 3 flights then a check for my ATP, but I ended up weather cancelling one ride and pressing to the check anyway because I've got a pretty extensive GA background and felt comfortable in the mighty Apache.

My IP was $40/hr, the DPE was $350 total, $250/hr for the airplane. 9.4 hours total (including the check ride) so I managed to squeek in right at $3k but I'd say that's more of an exception than the rule.

Anyone have school recommendations for the southeast? Looking at FL, GA, MS, AL specifically. Thanks!

Sure...try reading the first 38 pages of this very thread. You'll find all the info you seek.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Insubordinate & Churlish said:

Is there a reason people don't go to the "big name" schools like ATP Flight School or US Aviation Academy? I ask only because they're VA approved, and I have Post 9/11 GI Bill I could use for it. 

For ATP Flight School, only their ground school (ATP CTP) is VA approved.  The flying portion is not.  It says very explicitly on their website, I even called them to make sure.  If you want to find a place where you can use your post 9/11 GI bill, go to this website: http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchInstitutionCriteria.do;jsessionid=qtMbSxQFpzyL7GpnQrtnNGv6G9CGQQvb2YqM9Cvw3vB2pv2lXhfJ!-1531379871 and use the dropdown to select flight training then pick the state.  You then have to drill down to find which exact programs are approved (CFII, ATP SE, ATP ME, commercial, etc...). THEN (and this is the important part) you have to actually call the school and ask them if they have an ATP ME VA approved course.  Just as an example in my state (CA) there are 9 schools that are VA approved for ATP ME, and TWO, I repeat TWO that actually offer that training.  As a side note, you MUST have your COE and a current class 1 to start training.  Good luck, I still haven't done mine but will start training in a couple weeks.

Just curious:

If you haven't done the ATP written yet, are you planning on paying out-of-pocket (or burning GI Bill) for ATP-CTP or are you expecting an airline to pick that up?

Unless you want to work for a regional, it might be tough considering applicants to majors all bring with them a completed atp.

Just curious:

If you haven't done the ATP written yet, are you planning on paying out-of-pocket (or burning GI Bill) for ATP-CTP or are you expecting an airline to pick that up?

In that case, get hired by a regional with no training contract. Complete the ATP-CTP, get some 121 time, and keep your apps in at the majors. I would only pay the $$ out of pocket if I knew I had the hours to go straight to the majors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a good contact email for Memphis Downtown?  I'm downrange right now so my hours don't really coincide with theirs, plus the wifi calling is shitty here.  I can't seem to find an email address on their website.

Edited by BADFNZ

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a story about a fatal ATP checkride accident yesterday near Little Rock.  DPE killed, student (also a C-130 pilot?) apparently survived with injuries.  Any KLIT bros have any other info on the examinee's condition?  Hoping for a quick recovery...  

Story Link: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/may/05/small-plane-crashes-north-little-rock/

Edited by RTB