Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

Just finished at Memphis - great place, highly recommend it.  We flew the Duchess - my impression was that's the only plane they do ATP in; never heard anything about flying a Comanche.  Overall the gouge is pretty good and the 2ish hours of academics we got the first morning was sufficient to clean up anything that was missing or unclear in the gouge.  If anyone wants further info or the gouge, let me know.

I did the ATP in the Twin Comanche at Downtown Aviation.  If you need recent gouge, PM  me. 

BL - YOU WONT FEEL OVER-PREPARED walking out to the airplane, but you will be prepared.

If you show up prepped, should be a smooth first day, and on the second day...you will fly the airplane to the standards of the ATP practical.  If you're a semi-proficient mil pilot you SHOULDNT have anything to fret about. It was the right place to go for the money...$1950 for the ticket including the DPE fee. 

My prep was about 10 hours on the front end, and then 3 hours on Day 1 after the first flight. 

wow that is cheap. how many hours of flight time did that include? I just finished up at cobra kai. great program that includes 6 hours in the barron (4 practice and 2 for the checkride) but more expensive than downtown. I felt ready when I checked as you get to fly the profile twice and sandbag another couple times. (

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the ATP in the Twin Comanche at Downtown Aviation.

Well there you have it.  Did they give you a cranium's up you'd be flying the Comanche?  Reason I ask is we were never told either way and naturally assumed it was the Duchess since all of the gouge from multiple sources (including Downtown) was Duchess only.  Would have sucked to show up Day 1 and find out we'd studied the wrong stuff for 6-9 hrs.  Mostly curious for future dudes - should they be prepared for either due to a scenario of one breaking the day prior to showing up and the other being spared in for their ATP.

Well there you have it.  Did they give you a cranium's up you'd be flying the Comanche?  Reason I ask is we were never told either way and naturally assumed it was the Duchess since all of the gouge from multiple sources (including Downtown) was Duchess only.  Would have sucked to show up Day 1 and find out we'd studied the wrong stuff for 6-9 hrs.  Mostly curious for future dudes - should they be prepared for either due to a scenario of one breaking the day prior to showing up and the other being spared in for their ATP.

When I received the confirmation email with my training dates, Corey specifically told me I would be flying the Duchess and included study materials. As the date gets closer, I plan on confirming before I spend a lot of time studying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downtown sent out Piper Twin specific gouge and notified me well in advance (3 months).  I then followed up about a week out to confirm.  Big picture, the gouge will be extremely similar between the duchess and the twin Comanche, other than different V speeds and the Twin being fuel injected. 

I felt like the GK on day 1 was a bro check to see if I actually cared enough to study prior...they are doing a review to make sure you are indeed the knowledgeable aviator they believe you to be due to your military flying background.  The ATP tabletop portion covered a diverse area of information, but I wasn't asked anything about a light twin or the Piper that I didn't know from the gouge or the Instruction given day 1.  Study the gouge, and get a copy of "Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot," this book is your one stop shop for all things you want to learn quickly in an easy to read format.

If you are willing to show up prepared with a positive attitude, and take their program seriously while remaining humble--this is your place to go.  I was flying with a 22 yr old getting schooled like it was day 1 of pilot training on the first day.  I chair flew the stuff she taught that night, stressed appropriately until the alcohol kicked in, and went to bed early.  Day 2 = ATP in hand, and happy happy happy.  I repeat, you will NOT feel over prepared, but you will be prepared for the check ride.  Not a walk in and walk out with a ticket kind of place, but I am confident they can get you where you need to be.  Rest assured, if you need additional time in the light twin, they will provide it or even recommend it to you.  IF they recommend it, I'd suggest you take it...if they don't think you need it...go to the check ride.

PM me if you want more info, happy to help.

wow that is cheap. how many hours of flight time did that include? I just finished up at cobra kai. great program that includes 6 hours in the barron (4 practice and 2 for the checkride) but more expensive than downtown. I felt ready when I checked as you get to fly the profile twice and sandbag another couple times. (

It was about 4 hrs total, 2 flights including the checkride. 1536 plus 400 for the DPE fee.  I stayed at the Navy lodge 20 minutes up the road, good rooms for $80 a night.  Drove over on a Tuesday, left DT at 1 o'clock on Thursday to drive home.

The guys ahead of us planned on the Duchess but it broke for a day, and they flew the Piper. The evaluator focused the ground eval accordingly, and other than a few V speeds, didn't ask them Piper specific questions (other that it being slightly better performing and fuel injected, there isn't much difference). One of them asked for, and received, a .8 practice ride in the Piper. Both passed their checkrides day 2.

Due to the break, we flew our practice flights and checkrides on the same day. No issues there either.

Caveat: I'm a prior MEI and my partner was a MC-12 guy, we weren't too worried. The two ahead of us were Viper/35 dudes. They were stressed...but we all walked out with equal ATPs.

[...] I was flying with a 22 yr old getting schooled like it was day 1 of pilot training on the first day.  I chair flew the stuff she taught that night [...]

Pics or didn't happen....

Edited by Jughead
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2015, 5:09:46, yankeetango said:

Stumbled on an outfit that is just north of Baltimore, Middle River Aviation. It's close to home and the price seems fair. They've got a Grumman GA7, nice looking airplane. Anybody have an after action report on this place?

Buddy did it with them and said it was a quick 3 day program. Was $3,900. Honestly I'm right in the middle distance wise between them and Action multi(also 3 day program) and Action is $1,200 cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

All - don't ask for or send information via PM in this topic, unless for some reason you're worried about the information being shared.  It defeats the purpose of this thread if the information is being shared one-on-one.

• Upvote 2