Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

Any of you fighter types out there bothered to talk to your FSDO about a 'special need' for getting fighter Sim hours approved by the FAA? 'Special need' was the term he recommended I use, as it garners more attention from the FAA. It could mean the difference between a lot of us getting a restricted vs. full-page atp, based on hours. I spoked to mine, he seemed interested in raising that request to the next level, would entail a FSDO coming out to certify your sims, but seemed easier that one would think. Anybody tried this before?

To count time in a simulator (or "flight training device"), the device must be approved by the FAA under part 60. There's a whole FAA national program around certifying simulators: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/nsp/

It's likely possible to get fighter sims approved, but I don't realistically see it happening. How are you going to answer "Why should we have FAA-certified sims for our tactical trainers?" when the OG asks? You'd also have to get the sim operator contracts modified as the FAA requires a qualitiy management program.

The FAA process to get sims approved: relatively straight forward. The Air Force process to get "FAA approved" sims: insane and not needed to meet our mission.

The restricted auto become a full when you hit 1500 TT. Even if you're short now at the time of doing your ATP checkride, I'd be really surprised if you didn't hit 1500 TT by the time you finished your 10 yrs ADSC and were able to go to an Airline. No way I ever see the AF letting the FAA come in and certify any fighter sim.

Chang, where are you applying? Need to get you on the special lists...

Just try and fix any little part you can for big blue, those that saw a tipped balance to out do not need your advice.

ps, 50ish FSDOs, 50ish interpretations. You know those pesky bureaucrats...

Busted, not true for a simple overseas PCS. Notice all of the qualifiers throughout the regulation (always includes the statement, "...and was assigned to a U.S. Armed Forces operation..."). Don't count on this regulation saving you unless you've deployed from an overseas assignment.

It's not just a 6 month extension, it's an extension to 6 months after your return date. And it works for overseas assignments too, not just deployments.

That checks. You have six months from the end of the calendar month you return. You have to have been on a operational deployment for it to count per the FSDO office I talked to and my evaluator. I just brought a copy of my CED orders.

I just finished my ATP practical at Tulsa Community College this weekend.  Great experience (I am a B-1 guy)!

It's a small aviation department-- they fly a little Piper Seminole.

I spent $1905 on flights/instruction + $600 DFE fee.

I also spent about $280 for 3 nights at a hotel + around $100 in gas there and back.

All very well worth in, IMO>  I arrived Wed night.  Thurs 1200 - 1730 was ground school - nothing earth shattering.

I flew a 2.9 on Friday.  I flew a 1.3 later Fri to clean up a couple things i sucked at on ride 1 (felt super comfortable/ready).

I flew a 1.9 Saturday morning for my checkride -- walked out the door just after 11am.

Edited by BonedRiver

Update - Downtown Aviation: Memphis

Last week me and a few other guys from work all went to Memphis to knock out our ATP. As advertised, their examiners are now charging $400 instead of the $300 they used to charge. That being said, this is still money well spent.

No one from my group took their checkride with Doc because he was out of town, instead we all flew with a lady named Karen. She has the right sight picture and not being guaranteed to fly with Doc should not dissuade you from going to Memphis. Everyone passed with no issues.

Cost directly correlates to your flight time + examiners fee. From my group we varied between around $1650 to $1850.

One final note, if you're still on the fence, I recommend you call today. They're scheduling people for next April now, so I'l let you math majors figure out how much time that leaves before the written tests start expiring.

Cheers!

Anyone have information on the "Boston guy"?  I have his name/number...  left multiple messages, but he has never picked up and doesn't return calls.  Any best practices on how to get ahold of him?  Email address?  Does he even do ATPs anymore?

Anyone have information on the "Boston guy"?  I have his name/number...  left multiple messages, but he has never picked up and doesn't return calls.  Any best practices on how to get ahold of him?  Email address?  Does he even do ATPs anymore?

He's a unicorn, the only dude I knew of who did the program said it was awesome. But he left a message and waited for a response, which came within a week or so. I don't know what sort of magic 8 ball he uses to pick dudes, but with everything it's luck, timing, and luck.  

He's a unicorn, the only dude I knew of who did the program said it was awesome. But he left a message and waited for a response, which came within a week or so. I don't know what sort of magic 8 ball he uses to pick dudes, but with everything it's luck, timing, and luck.  

Be careful with this guy.  He got busted a few years back and got decertified due to shady practices. The FAA was looking to go after some his customers and decertify them as well.  

Just sayin'

Be careful with this guy.  He got busted a few years back and got decertified due to shady practices. The FAA was looking to go after some his customers and decertify them as well.  

Just sayin'

source?

He was still giving checkrides CAO last year per this thread...

Edited by Champ Kind
  • Upvote 1

Just sayin'

You sure you're not confusing him with Harry Bishop from NJ, who was fined and placed in jail, are you?

They've got a Grumman Cougar, nice looking airplane. Anybody have an after action report on this place?

Why do you want a single-engine ATP?

Grumman Cougar.jpg

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Doing mine with a buddy at Higher Power. I doubt the 9-11 GI bill transfer lasts for my kids to see it... And if so, at least it doesn't eat up the whole thing. Plus a 737 type is almost a guarantee hire at SWA for a nice backup plan.

Doing mine with a buddy at Higher Power. I doubt the 9-11 GI bill transfer lasts for my kids to see it... And if so, at least it doesn't eat up the whole thing. Plus a 737 type is almost a guarantee hire at SWA for a nice backup plan.

Great, now we get to hear more platitudes from Butters.