Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

Calm down there cowboy! There have been and are operations that trade cash for ATP. They were always referred to as "Mil Friendly", that is why I stated that. Your version of "Mil Friendly" is 90 of the flight schools in existence. You can tell really quick if the instructors at a flight school have some chip on their shoulder for mil guys... If they do, don't go. At the end of the day, no schools wants their students to be failing check rides. So, they will not send you to your check unless you are ready to pass.

Edited by Butters

I just got my ATP/737 Type from Higher Power and can't begin to say enough good things about them. The course for the 737 NG cost $11,100, which was conveniently just under the annual cap for the GI Bill (though it looks like the price may be going up since their acquistion by All ATPs). You do need to pay upfront, and they estimate reimbursement from the VA will take about 3 months. The first week is ground school and you should expect to be very busy; my typical day consisted of eight hours in the classroom, 2-3 studying with my classmates, and another 2-3 on my own. That said, they do an excellent job preparing you for the oral exam. For the sims, I was fortunate enough to be paired with another student, meaning I got the benefit of seeing everything twice (if you don't have a partner, they pair you with an instructor and I believe you only get to do one sim from the right seat). You get a total of 5 sorties in the left seat, followed by the checkride. By the second day of sims, we were practicing the entire checkride profile, plus some additional V1 cuts. As with the oral, they do a great job prepping you for the checkride, and it should be a breeze for any military pilot.

That sounds terrible, and terribly expensive. Enjoy your type rating, though!

For what it's worth, I did my 737 Type/ATP with Higher Power as well. It was a tough program. I've done 3 121 Initial Training programs since and they were a walk in the park compared to Higher Power. Higher Power does more than just get you a type/ATP. It prepares you for the 121 world very well. That said, I'm sure many do well without Higher Power.

That sounds terrible, and terribly expensive. Enjoy your type rating, though!

Not at all. I just got a check for$11,100, so the only out of pocket costs were $700 for a hotel, 2 weeks of leave, and gas for the roundtrip drive from San Antonio to Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well... not exactly "free". It does prevent you (or your dependent(s) from using that portion of your 9/11 GI Bill on any other type of education.

Well, it will be free for me... I do not need to use the remaining amount for anything and I just checked the web site and it turns out like with most things you can't take it with you when you die. Wife has plenty of degrees and a GI Bill of her own. Kids are still in the Foster System and we have not adopted them yet. Don't feel like signing a 4 year commitment when I have 20 months left. Also, State Foster kids usually have no issues getting scholarships, which is how I personally think people should pay for school anyway. If you can't find someone (not family) to pay for you, you probably don't need to go. Just my .02 dollars.

Working on getting a class date with K&S Aviation is Seattle. Only slightly negative comment I heard about them was a Navy guy that said he had some trouble getting reimbursed form the VA. He did admit it was several years ago and he was the first person to go through on their VA funded program. Only good comments since then.

Well... not exactly "free". It does prevent you (or your dependent(s) from using that portion of your 9/11 GI Bill on any other type of education.

Then again, that's assuming the 9/11 GI Bill is still around in 15-20 years for myself/spouse/kids to use.

Does anyone know how to generate the Letter of Eligibility to use at an ATP school?

I'm in VONAPP, generating an Education Benefits form (Form 22-1990) and then it asks me which of the following I'd like to use:

Post-9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 33;

Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty, Chapter 30;

Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP), Chapter 32;

Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve, Chapter 1606;

Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP), Chapter 1607.

I select Post 9/11, and it wants an effective date and a notice saying all these other events are irrevocable.

Anyone done this before? Is there an easier way? The Education Center on base was no help and said it is all done through the VA. I'm still AD, looking to have Uncle Sam pay for the ATP program.

Edited by xaarman

I just did this, however I was under Montomergy GI Bill and selected to switch to post 911. It does say onece you switch over you can never go back. So, are you under the M GI Bill? If so keep going and they will send you your eligibility letter.

Edited by Butters

I joined under the MGIB (and paid into it) and have not touched anything regarding either GI Bill since.

Are you saying keep going on the 22-1990 and select the MGIB? I was hoping to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill if I ever separated - no kids/wife right now though.

I joined under the MGIB (and paid into it) and have not touched anything regarding either GI Bill since.

Are you saying keep going on the 22-1990 and select the MGIB? I was hoping to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill if I ever separated - no kids/wife right now though.

Ok, then you are in my boat!

Do switch to post 911, it will pay 100%. M GI Bill only pays 60%. So it will give you warning saying you are switching to post 911 and you can go back. Keep filling out form. If you already know the Part141 ATP COurse you are attending put it in. I didn't and left it blank. Once you submit in a few weeks your letter shows up.

Edited by Butters

Calm down there cowboy! There have been and are operations that trade cash for ATP. They were always referred to as "Mil Friendly", that is why I stated that. Your version of "Mil Friendly" is 90 of the flight schools in existence. You can tell really quick if the instructors at a flight school have some chip on their shoulder for mil guys... If they do, don't go. At the end of the day, no schools wants their students to be failing check rides. So, they will not send you to your check unless you are ready to pass.

Do I not look calm to you?

I was merely correcting the use of mil friendly from rubber stamp to bonafide when it comes to this outfit. You do like bonafide when it comes to your aviation training, right? I think so since you're about to invest 6x as much.

I'm scheduled with Downtown in June. Does anyone have ground eval study gouge?

E-mail them and ask for the study materials. It should include stuff like typical systems GK, checklist, light twin specifics, and typical profiles.

Out

Edited by disgruntledemployee

It's on the bottom right of the 4 boxes available after checking Post 9/11, and I have to check something. Did you see a different screen when you registered?

Ok, now I see it, was looking at it before on my phone. No, you check Chapter 30 MGIB. You are saying as of this date I elect to stop Chapter 30 and go with 33. The no other benefits would be checked if you never bought into MGIB. Man they make this complicated.

Edited by Butters

Did you fill out all of your school info? It wants the dates I graduated high school, all colleges, and all jobs I had before I joined the military? It also says to upload supporting documentation?

Anyone else go through this mess? It's for the VA Form 22-1990.

Edited by xaarman

Did you fill out all of your school info? It wants the dates I graduated high school, all colleges, and all jobs I had before I joined the military? It also says to upload supporting documentation?

Anyone else go through this mess? It's for the VA Form 22-1990.

Put in the school info, high school to masters. Did not put any jobs before military. No supporting docs. Somewhere in the instructions it says not to upload anything except in rare circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

So for anyone who has to go through this process, it is a process. They sent me the wrong form.

Called them up, the VA said that the Letter of Eligibility was sent out two days after I got my current letter (dated 10 Mar 15) and to stand by and the actual Letter of Eligibility should be arriving in the next few days.

On the plus side, I called 800-827-1000, hit option 2, didn't like what I heard, hit 0 for representative, then 3 for education benefits, and someone picked up after 30 seconds. That was nice.