Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

To a certain extent, we're in competition here; but most of us should be a near guarantee hire if we do what we need to. I would give anything to talk to a current member of a hiring board of a legacy. So far, every single senior pilot, retired pilot, retired airline exec, etc have advised me that based on my experience, I'll get picked up. However, my brother-in-law is a pilot for a major airline, and he points out that none of the advice I've received is from someone that faced a board in the last... 20 years. He recommends I get my type rating along with my ATP practical. I still don't know if I really need it, but I'd rather spend another 8k and have the peace of mind, especially if it means another couple months on the payroll where I recoup that money anyway instead of sitting at home freaking out.

That being said, I don't know what type to get. Airbus versus Boeing, etc. I'd like to fly a 767 or similar size aircraft. Most of all, I want to be hired right away once I can start applying. If anyone has guidance or insight, holler, but so far I have not heard anyone suggest one type rating versus another. This morning I am calling more of these schools and continuing to educate myself before pulling the trigger.

Some of you know me, so PM me or email me and we'll discuss more.

I find it hard to believe that having any particular type rating is going to be what gets you hired. Over half of my interview group were about to retire/get out after 10 years, and only two had type ratings. One was a retiree that wasn't getting called so he went to the regionals, the other had a 737 type from flying the C-40.

If you're retiring and are not getting calls from the majors, I would check out the regionals. Once you finish training, go in and check 121 experience and I would bet you get called quickly. It's crap pay but I wouldn't expect to do it long...call it an investment in the future. The guy in my interview group that went the regionals had less than 25 hours with the company when was hired. I'm not a retired guy but I went to the regionals as well and had ~100 hours when I got called. Something to consider.

NOTE: Unless you're targeting SWA.

Edited by SocialD

If you're retiring and are not getting calls from the majors, I would check out the regionals. Once you finish training, go in and check 121 experience and I would bet you get called quickly. It's crap pay but I wouldn't expect to do it long...call it an investment in the future. The guy in my interview group that went the regionals had less than 25 hours with the company when was hired. I'm not a retired guy but I went to the regionals as well and had ~100 hours when I got called. Something to consider.

That describes my experience exactly. Are you currently flying? For reasons I don't fully understand or agree with, the airlines place an enormous premium on currency. The guys I've seen hired directly off active duty are those who get their apps in in time to interview while still actively flying. In my case, I waited and did not get the call from the Legacy carrier I'd targeted, or any of the other "destination" airlines I'd applied to. I did get offered a job at two Regionals; fortunately, I also got offered a job at a Major (non-Legacy) in time to wave off my Regional class date. I kept my app updated--and, within two weeks of updating with ~100 hours of 121 time, my phone rang for the interview I'd wanted all along.

No guarantees, and YMMV--but, if you get to the end of your military career and are not flying, I know (and know of) several guys in the same boat as me, where a little 121 time (in addition, of course, to a solid mil resume) went a long way. Good luck.

Edited by Jughead

Guys those two posts are the most solid advice I have pretty much ever heard. Thank you.And I second the currency thing. I do keep hearing that.

Straight from the hiring manager at one of the big three to me personally:

"If a candidate doesn't have 100 hours in the last 12 months, and a first class medical within six months, we don't even see their app."

Take heed guys. Read the min requirements for each airline and make sure you meet every one. The upside is once you meet those wickets, your app magically reappears on their end. Good luck, you will get a call but you have to keep updating and networking. It's hard work, but you'll be rewarded handsomely.

To a certain extent, we're in competition here; but most of us should be a near guarantee hire if we do what we need to. I would give anything to talk to a current member of a hiring board of a legacy. So far, every single senior pilot, retired pilot, retired airline exec, etc have advised me that based on my experience, I'll get picked up. However, my brother-in-law is a pilot for a major airline, and he points out that none of the advice I've received is from someone that faced a board in the last... 20 years. He recommends I get my type rating along with my ATP practical. I still don't know if I really need it, but I'd rather spend another 8k and have the peace of mind, especially if it means another couple months on the payroll where I recoup that money anyway instead of sitting at home freaking out.

That being said, I don't know what type to get. Airbus versus Boeing, etc. I'd like to fly a 767 or similar size aircraft. Most of all, I want to be hired right away once I can start applying. If anyone has guidance or insight, holler, but so far I have not heard anyone suggest one type rating versus another. This morning I am calling more of these schools and continuing to educate myself before pulling the trigger.

Some of you know me, so PM me or email me and we'll discuss more.

Don't we all dude.

"If a candidate doesn't have 100 hours in the last 12 months, and a first class medical within six months, we don't even see their app."

Take heed guys. Read the min requirements for each airline and make sure you meet every one. The upside is once you meet those wickets, your app magically reappears on their end. Good luck, you will get a call but you have to keep updating and networking. It's hard work, but you'll be rewarded handsomely.

I have heard that too, but I have also heard second hand that folks have been hired at Delta after not flying for 3 years due to a staff tour or something. I have never met anyone who was not in flying status prior to interviewing, so it sort of goes without saying that you should try to get several hundred hours in the past year. But for those who are not able to log those 100 hours, I would say to still apply. The worst that could happen is that they don't email you for the interview. The best that could happen is that your date of application acts as a tiebreaker down the road between two guys in the same scoring band after they rack and stack the applications.

Also, a few of us put some time into revamping the gouge that was out there for the Delta interview. So if anyone has an interview coming up with Delta, PM me with your email and a brief description of your background (to eliminate trolls/spammers) and I can share the link with you for the updated Delta gouge.

Finally, I was told by multiple internal sources that the key to getting an interview at at Delta is a clerically perfect application (no employment or address gaps, no mistakes in the education section, and current First Class Medical and Passport) and strong recommendations from within the company.

PM if anyone has any questions about Delta.

That describes my experience exactly. Are you currently flying?

I'm a Guard guy, still on my initial UPT commitment, so no currency issues for me.

That's shitty, since the medical is good for a year for anyone under 40. I can tell you that this is NOT the case with DAL. My medical was 9 months old when I received the invite.

Finally, I was told by multiple internal sources that the key to getting an interview at at Delta is a clerically perfect application (no employment or address gaps, no mistakes in the education section, and current First Class Medical and Passport) and strong recommendations from within the company.

I'm not sure "strong recs," are necessarily a requirement. I only had a few junior FOs and a new hire. The rest is right on. Have a few people run through your app and check it over for you. It's amazing what another pair of eyes will catch.

Say again? SocialD is absolutely right that if you are under 40, the Class 1 is good for a year. AirlineApps and GPC both ask for your exam date and the expiration date, so why would anyone need to make it arbitrarily more restrictive? What is this, the Air Force?

Perhaps it's easier to apply the most restrictive discriminator to everyone and pare down the applicants than it is to filter the apps for two different age groups. It sucks, but I'd get one every 6 mos, even if you're under 40.

This could very well be the case, but it's a database. A simple line of code would easily fix this. If this is the case, that's pretty shitty of them to do without posting that info on the website. But as I said in my previous post, I was given a DAL invite with a medical that was 9 months old.

My interview was 11 months and 15 days after my last First Class medical date. The HR guy in the interview even said something like "you are cutting it close with your First Class Medical date here." So obviously the computer doesn't cut you off if it is more than 6 months old and you are less than 40.

Ok,I am not trolling or being a dick. Imagine what the requirement would be if there wasn't a pilot shortage.

At the major level, there isn't a pilot shortage. I haven't heard of any empty seats in new hire classes from the majors...

At the $30k/year regional level, there is more demand for ATP-rated pilots than supply. That's not a shortage -that's just economics.

The GAO had much the same view last winter: http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/661243.pdf

Edited by Dupe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pensacola was awesome! I finished there about three weeks ago. Very professional program.

PM me if you want details on Sky Warrior Inc.

Just called Sky Warrior Inc in Pensacola, and they are wide open after mid-Feb 2015 so far.

ATP written complete as of last summer, but I haven't yet had time to do the ATP practical.

I'm thinking mid-March of this year. Does anyone know of any great (and Mil-friendly) schools in the Western US? I'd like to knock it out during a long weekend, if able...