Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

Does anyone know anything about this reg: FAR 61.39 (c ) (2): " An applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate with a rating other than those ratings set forth in paragraph (b) of this section may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant is employed: (2) By the U.S. Armed Forces as a flight crewmember in U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test and has completed the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the pilot certificate and rating sought."

I ask because I have about 400 hours total time (Commercial, Instrument, Restricted Multiengine). I'm starting F-16 B-Course this fall, but I don't think military flying alone will get me another 350 hours in 24 months. I'm guessing the F-16 won't qualify under "military air transport operations", but it's worth a shot...if so, it seems like a no-brainer to take the written ASAP, since then I'll have as long as I want to build enough time to take the practical and get a Restricted ATP at 750 hours. If not...might still be worth it, and try to make up the difference renting a Cessna or something?

For reference, the applicable part of Paragraph (b) referenced above states: "An applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating or an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane type rating may take the practical test with an expired knowledge test only if the applicant passed the knowledge test after July 31, 2014, and is employed: (3) By the U.S. Armed Forces as a flight crewmember in U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test and has completed the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the pilot certificate and rating sought."

Edited by Archa3opt3ryx

Definitely take the written. If you end up overseas after B-Course (pretty good chance), you actually get an extension from the FAA on the two year thing, i.e. you can take a practical with an expired written so long as this is accomplished within 6 months of returning to CONUS from an overseas assignment. This data verified by two separate FSDOs. It is highly likely you'll have 750 total (combined, not Viper) at the end of your first assignment, easily will have it if you deploy. If you get a CONUS assignment, you'll still likely make it within the 2 year req if you deploy/do the Nellis grind. This of course assumes another shitstorm of sequestration doesn't hit and put you at 100 hrs/year.

Edited by brabus

Don't forget to include your ~200 hours from supt. doesn't count for shit in the Air Force...but perfectly valid flight experience for civilian totals!

Yep, that ~400 hour number includes UPT/IFF.

Definitely take the written. If you end up overseas after B-Course (pretty good chance), you actually get an extension from the FAA on the two year thing, i.e. you can take a practical with an expired written so long as this is accomplished within 6 months of returning to CONUS from an overseas assignment. This data verified by two separate FSDOs. It is highly likely you'll have 750 total (combined, not Viper) at the end of your first assignment, easily will have it if you deploy. If you get a CONUS assignment, you'll still likely make it within the 2 year req if you deploy/do the Nellis grind. This of course assumes another shitstorm of sequestration doesn't hit and put you at 100 hrs/year.

Thanks for the info. Any chance there's a memo floating around with that OCONUS policy in writing? I just inevitably see myself in 3-4 years with an expired ATP test trying to convince a FSDO that I can still take the practical... Edited by Archa3opt3ryx

• 2 weeks later...

For those that have taken the written, can you bring anything into the testing center like a calculator/phone or equations for some of the questions? I'm sure it varies on the testing center used but figured I'd ask.

I'd love to take my iPad in with Sheppard Air on it but I'm sure that's frowned upon.

Thanks.

no, you get a whiz wheel, and a kmart calculator. Dont sweat it, just memorize the shepp air memory aid and youll be fine.

Not only can you only bring the bare minimums, but they made me turn on the calculator and flip it over. You will not be able to use anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the masses...is there any way to take the written while deployed to a location without a testing center capable of administering the exam? I was schedule for the test earlier this month, went on a short notice TDY that was only supposed to last a couple days and ended up being at least a month in everyone's favorite shithole.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I think there's some sort of provision for deployed folks to get your foot in the door before the deadline. All rumor and conjecture on my part though.

I emailed some chick at the FAA and she said there are no extension waivers...running out of options

I emailed some chick at the FAA and she said there are no extension waivers...running out of options

PM me, we just got someone certified as a proctor at my location.

If you're at the Deid they just started offering it...

Apparently there is only one guy/gal who can proctor it, and they are booked up through the end of the month. But we had a guy manage to take it with about 2 days notice, so if you are there and need to take it, you should call the BPC ed center right now.

Gents,

I'm just finishing up UPT and I was wondering about the necessity of having my commercial, instrument (w/ME add-on) and Beech 400 type ratings PRIOR to taking the ATP written. I have heard a TON of conflicting reports -- some folks are saying that anyone can take the written, and some are saying that the post-UPT Mil Comp test (effectively netting me a commercial license) should be done prior to taking the ATP written.

Those same folks who push for the Mil Comp tests are saying a grey area exists with FAA ATP practical examiners. Apparently, some examiners will NOT honor an applicant's written test, if they see that the commercial license is earned AFTER the ATP written test is taken. Others say the timeline doesn't matter. Can anyone offer any clarification on this?

I took the written several months ago and the only rating I had was a PPL. So to answer your original questions, no - you don't need any ratings in order to take the ATP written or practical. I might be wrong on this but the content of the practical may be different if you don't have any other ratings (e.g. - you'll have to fly a Vmca demo).

Your second paragraph confused the hell out of me, but if you plan on getting an ATP, I'm not seeing any reason at all to get a commercial before hand. Assuming, of course, you meet the hours requirements for an ATP.