Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate

SUX

Anyone have any actual contact info for this "guy in Boston" that does ATPs? Searched through this whole thread and internet and haven't found so much as a name.

Though not "the guy," I've heard good things about Action Multi in Groton, CT

Send me a PM with your background info, and I'll give you his e-mail. Warning....it's been a few months since anyone I know has been able to get ahold of him. Not 100% sure he is in business still.

Warning....it's been a few months since anyone I know has been able to get ahold of him. Not 100% sure he is in business still.

I've heard several stories of an East Coast ATP being shut down by the FAA, and certificates being revoked due to failure to comply with FAA standards during the checkrides. In addition to the random peeps, I was also told this by our local FSDO. Anybody heard about this?

I've heard several stories of an East Coast ATP being shut down by the FAA, and certificates being revoked due to failure to comply with FAA standards during the checkrides. In addition to the random peeps, I was also told this by our local FSDO. Anybody heard about this?

You mean other than Harry Bishop a couple years ago? He's now in prison (what a joke) but nobody had their licenses revoked as far as I know.

There was also this guy:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/bishop_safety_inspector_faa_sentenced_jail_payment_206569-1.html

As a former AF dude, he milked other rated guys out of checkride fees at $300 a pop. Thankfully, nobody had to do a recheck.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't $300/checkride a steal with regards to getting an FAA checkride from a designated examiner pilot? Back like 15 years ago, I paid $250 per checkride for my private and my instrument. I thought the standard was like $350 per checkride now.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't $300/checkride a steal with regards to getting an FAA checkride from a designated examiner pilot? Back like 15 years ago, I paid $250 per checkride for my private and my instrument. I thought the standard was like $350 per checkride now.

This guy was a federal employee who should be giving check rides for free as part of his federal service. DPEs are sanctioned by the FAA to give check rides at a rate of their choosing. There are a few FAA GS types at each FSDO who can give check rides, and it's illegal for them to charge. Most mil dudes probably assumed he was a DPE vice a FAA guy and happily forked over $300.

Edited by Dupe

I am not sure if the guy in Boston is doing them any longer, no one seems to be able to get in touch with him. He is an elderly guy, early 70s if I had to guess. If you can get him, best deal out there. It is on the level, you accomplish everything required per the PTS for the checkride. He just uses a different philosophy on how he conducts the checkride and it is tailored for military guys.

• Upvote 1

I took the advice of others on this forum and got my ATP with Downtown Aviation in Memphis, and I'm very glad I did. I HIGHLY recommend this place. Your IP is an TN Guard C-17 pilot and the examiner is a retired Army surgeon. I can't say enough good things about these guys. I was in and out in 2 days and paid under $1500 for everything. You get a few hrs of ground school and 1 training flight followed up by a check ride the next day. They treat us military types like professional aviators and not like student pilots, consequently, they save you a lot of money by not wasting your time on unnecessary training. They are quite busy, for good reason, so if you're interested, call ASAP to get on their schedule 901-354-3001.

• Upvote 1

There was also this guy:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/bishop_safety_inspector_faa_sentenced_jail_payment_206569-1.html

As a former AF dude, he milked other rated guys out of checkride fees at $300 a pop. Thankfully, nobody had to do a recheck.

He didn't "milk" rated guys. As the article states, the word got out that $300 was the going rate. Guys were happy to pay it and he was happy to accept. If you didn't pay him, you still got your ticket. No one wanted to be the first person to test that technique, for fear he might stop doing the checkrides. When I flew with him, I didn't "tip" him until I already had my temp in hand, so the fee wasn't a requirement.

You mean other than Harry Bishop a couple years ago? He's now in prison (what a joke) but nobody had their licenses revoked as far as I know.

He got sentenced to 366 days in 2012, so I don't think he's still behind bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He didn't "milk" rated guys. As the article states, the word got out that $300 was the going rate. Guys were happy to pay it and he was happy to accept. If you didn't pay him, you still got your ticket. No one wanted to be the first person to test that technique, for fear he might stop doing the checkrides. When I flew with him, I didn't "tip" him until I already had my temp in hand, so the fee wasn't a requirement.

He got sentenced to 366 days in 2012, so I don't think he's still behind bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you call a government official accepting payment when he knows it's illegal to do so? Maybe "milking" isn't the right term. How about corruption? This is like the fire marshall taking a tip after a successful fire inspection on a new building....

Has anyone tried to use their regular USAF tuition assistance for an ATP certificate? At say Kirtland or Eglin? Might you have considered using it for the new ATP ground course requirement? The new ATP ground course should have a start/stop class date.

AFI36-2306, 13 AUGUST 2010,

*5.3.2. . Base Aero Club programs that are accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the US Department of Education <inserted question: FAA recognized?> and they have specific term start and end dates.

*5.4.2.5. Flight courses are eligible for Mil TA when provided by an accredited program or institution and they have specific term start and end dates.

5.4.2.1. Guidance regarding lower and equal level of education to one already attained (paragraph 5.5.6.) is waived for certificates/licenses, not to exceed the master’s level.

5.4.2.2. No more than a maximum of the annual 1-year cap shall be used toward completion of a single certificate/license over an Air Force career.

For example, Eglin AFB's Aero Club is a certified 141 school.

This it? http://www.faa.gov/education/student_resources/schools_universities/

Or this? http://www.aabi.aero/

"Although flight schools fall into two basic categories, Part 61 or Part 141, there is a third category that bears serious consideration by prospective pilots, particularly those planning a professional piloting career: nationally accredited pilot training institutions. Accredited flight schools must meet rigid standards of accountability for virtually every area of operation and must apply to an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education."

Has anyone ever taken the ATP written while deployed? Or know if that is even possible? Would really like to get it done before 1 Aug, but this whole being deployed thing is getting in the way...

Hey folks, I'm wondering if ya'll can help. (I'm an ignorant f*ck-up when it comes to FAA stuff...)

I'm in the middle of a PCS, and I want to take the ATP exam to extend the timeline for my practical. Problem is: my PPL certificate/card is nowhere to be found. I may have lost it, or the movers might have packed it. I dunno.

I hear you need to provide your PPL number to take the ATP test, but how does one find that? The FAA website isn't very helpful, claiming that I need to request a new airman certificate by mail (WTF...it's the 21st century), and ain't nobody got time for that.

Is there a number to call or a website I can use to expedite a new cert or get my number quickly? I'd really appreciate the help!

Hey folks, I'm wondering if ya'll can help. (I'm an ignorant f*ck-up when it comes to FAA stuff...)

I'm in the middle of a PCS, and I want to take the ATP exam to extend the timeline for my practical. Problem is: my PPL certificate/card is nowhere to be found. I may have lost it, or the movers might have packed it. I dunno.

I hear you need to provide your PPL number to take the ATP test, but how does one find that? The FAA website isn't very helpful, claiming that I need to request a new airman certificate by mail (WTF...it's the 21st century), and ain't nobody got time for that.

Is there a number to call or a website I can use to expedite a new cert or get my number quickly? I'd really appreciate the help!

You can do it online......

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/logon.asp

After I logged on, one of the available choices was to request a replacement card.

Thanks, but I don't know my certificate number (one of the required fields to register). Any way around that you know of?

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

EDIT: Well, I'll be damned--just tried it myself, looks like they've stripped off the certificate numbers. Sorry, this is how I looked up my own number a few years ago....

Suggest you use the "Contact Airmen Branch" option on that page and ask the question....

Edited by Jughead

Thanks, but I don't know my certificate number (one of the required fields to register). Any way around that you know of?

I know it's an obvious answer, but have you tried calling OKC and asking them? You may have to play twenty questions to convince them that it's you.