Vance AFB information

HerkDerka

On 10/23/2018 at 8:51 AM, HeyWatchThis said:

Hey guys....got a buddy heading to Vance on a short notice PCS (moving in either December or Jan). He will be bringing a wife and 3 kiddos.  The oldest will start kindergarten next year.  He isn't a flyer so short commute for early go's not as big of a deal vs coming in as an IP.  Any gouge on neighborhoods to look at, avoid, etc?  Any other info updated info on the area is appreciated.

Thanks!

Surprised no one has responded. Any house with the zip code 73703 is good, avoid like the plague anything with 73701. Even if you find a good house (there is minor crossover) you'll have a more challenging time reselling it due to the zip code difference. Everything in Enid is 15 minutes away, and you can hear trains from everywhere. 

I used Courtney Colby as a real estate agent. I liked her and would recommend. I think she has a team now, and friends on FB have used her realtors. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the right spot for this question, so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong box, but I have a few questions about UPT housing; specifically switching from unaccompanied to accompanied (Reserves). I'm also non-prior service, so I'm a little further behind the curve with how everything works, as well.

I'm headed to Vance after OTS, so I guess this question isn't particular to Vance, but maybe there are some Vance-specific pointers someone might have.

Anyway, I've got some considerable BITs/ADs in my orders, as well as SERE in between PCS-ing to Vance and my actual UPT start date. My wife and 8 month old kiddo will be staying back in NYC due to her work and she won't be finished with it until 2 days before my RNLTD. But, they will certainly be able to join me before my official UPT start date.

First question: I gather I'll be doing a partial DITY PCS move to Vance and staying in the dorms before going TDY to SERE? I'd heard that it's possible to move into housing (we were planning on staying in on-base housing when she gets there to be closer to other families in the same boat), but I think there's too much time in between me arriving and them joining me. Not to mention, I'd rather ensure I can utilize the waiver to get the higher NYC rate to cover my bills there over losing it due to living in a house on base before they arrive (if I would by moving out of the dorms).

Second question: Is it considered to partial DITYs if I move myself there in March, then move her and my son later in May? Any pitfalls or things to watch out for doing this?

Third question: I'm guessing RNLTDs are pretty set in stone and I won't be able to push that, so to avoid a packing/driving frenzy of nearly 1,500 miles from NYC to Vance in less than 2 days, I'm going to have to pack everything early and move a few days before they'll be able to fly down and join once she's done with her work. She can just stay with friends for a little, so that's not a huge deal, but we'd all be going separately (again) and I'm not sure how that'll work.

Last question (for now, I guess): all of this is dependent on housing availability and when I could get a house on base. Will I just talk to the housing office when I get there about hammering all of this out?

I am sure I'm missing a lot of stuff in here, but that's what I've got kicking around so far. Any input you might have in going through this or hearing others stories of doing similar would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time!

On 1/4/2019 at 2:09 PM, FDNYOldGuy said:

Not sure if this is the right spot for this question, so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong box, but I have a few questions about UPT housing; specifically switching from unaccompanied to accompanied (Reserves). I'm also non-prior service, so I'm a little further behind the curve with how everything works, as well.

I'm headed to Vance after OTS, so I guess this question isn't particular to Vance, but maybe there are some Vance-specific pointers someone might have.

Anyway, I've got some considerable BITs/ADs in my orders, as well as SERE in between PCS-ing to Vance and my actual UPT start date. My wife and 8 month old kiddo will be staying back in NYC due to her work and she won't be finished with it until 2 days before my RNLTD. But, they will certainly be able to join me before my official UPT start date.

First question: I gather I'll be doing a partial DITY PCS move to Vance and staying in the dorms before going TDY to SERE? I'd heard that it's possible to move into housing (we were planning on staying in on-base housing when she gets there to be closer to other families in the same boat), but I think there's too much time in between me arriving and them joining me. Not to mention, I'd rather ensure I can utilize the waiver to get the higher NYC rate to cover my bills there over losing it due to living in a house on base before they arrive (if I would by moving out of the dorms).

Second question: Is it considered to partial DITYs if I move myself there in March, then move her and my son later in May? Any pitfalls or things to watch out for doing this?

Third question: I'm guessing RNLTDs are pretty set in stone and I won't be able to push that, so to avoid a packing/driving frenzy of nearly 1,500 miles from NYC to Vance in less than 2 days, I'm going to have to pack everything early and move a few days before they'll be able to fly down and join once she's done with her work. She can just stay with friends for a little, so that's not a huge deal, but we'd all be going separately (again) and I'm not sure how that'll work.

Last question (for now, I guess): all of this is dependent on housing availability and when I could get a house on base. Will I just talk to the housing office when I get there about hammering all of this out?

I am sure I'm missing a lot of stuff in here, but that's what I've got kicking around so far. Any input you might have in going through this or hearing others stories of doing similar would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time!

General caveat - I’m not an expert on every question you have but I’ll try and throw some bones your way. 

1) Regardless of when your spouse moves, yes you should be able to move directly into base housing and not be subject to dorm life. That’s exactly how it played out for me when I moved and my wife later joined me due to her work. If your records show you being married that’s what they look for (regardless if she moves at that time or not). As far as you moving and then going to SERE, it just depends on what your orders say. If it has you PCSing to Vance with a date prior to SERE then yes it sounds like the plan is for you to move and then go TDY from Vance. You should not have to ever live in the dorms though given you’re married. You said something about a waiver? Not sure what you’re referring to but once you PCS any housing allowance you’re receiving will then change to the rates at your new (Vance) location....assuming this is what you’re getting at. 

2) I would ask this directly to your TMO office to make sure. I believe you could do it that way but you’re going to have to investigate. 

3) RNLTDs are NOT set in stone. If adjusting your date is advantageous to your family then explain the situation you your commander. If it makes sense, and won’t screw up follow on training, then your CC can certainly make changes to those dates through AFPC. Again, just go ask the question. 

4) I would not wait till I got there. Call the housing office and start getting a feel for how close to capacity they typically run. Especially going into that time of year, they should be able to give you an idea of what to expect. You won’t know the final answer till it’s closer to move time.  If they are full at that time then you’ll be able to go offbase to find housing. Have a plan for either case. 

Hope this helps a bit. Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

To follow on to my previous post, I’m moving to Vance this summer and looking for info on base housing. I’ve read this entire thread but looking for any current info. I’m an 0-4 with a wife and two kiddos. I’ve looked at housing’s website but it doesn’t offer a lot of data. Looking for general info: housing age/condition, size, management, general experience, etc. 

Thanks in adavance for any help. 

@MooseClub, thanks for the great input! I am sure a lot of it will be dependent on my personal situation and require me talking to the housing office, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

1 hour ago, MooseClub said:

You said something about a waiver? Not sure what you’re referring to but once you PCS any housing allowance you’re receiving will then change to the rates at your new (Vance) location....assuming this is what you’re getting at. 

So, from what I gather, if I’m unaccompanied as Reserves, I can apply for a BAH waiver since my rate where my family is/HOR is because it is higher than I’d get at Vance. It takes awhile (~10 weeks after applying for it) to get approved and paid for it from what we were told, but it is an option. 

I understood it as they wouldn’t give me a house on base AND still pay the higher HOR BAH, unless it was within a set amount of time (30 days, maybe) before they’d arrive, so I’d have to stay in the dorms until closer to when they’re going to arrive. 

1 hour ago, MooseClub said:

RNLTDs are NOT set in stone.

This is good to know, too. If I could squeeze a few more days, I could hold off on her work end date and we could go together. 

Then again, it might be easier to do the DITY myself and send them via plane, but I’m not sure how that changes things. 

Anyway, to your second post, it seems like they’ve got some new houses on base down there, which is nice, and I’ve heard they’re the nicer ones of UPT bases; if not a bit small 1200sf/3 beds. Management companies are always bad, it seems. 

Moved from Vance a few months back (spent 5 years there) and I didn't live on base but quite a few friends did, so I'll be speaking on what I saw.

The married UPT houses (with great exception) were nothing special, 2-3 bedrooms with garage and/or carport.  Decent sized, but not huge.  All houses have their own back yard that is medium sized, lots of parks and a few dog parks on base though to help mitigate this.  The base is small so you can walk to pretty much everywhere you want pretty easily (read drunk stumble back from the club).

There are 2 blocks or so of newer housing, no idea who those go to (besides the obvious O-6's), had a pair of friends from UPT who lucked into them but besides that pretty much everyone else I knew lived in the standard older house.  Maintenance seemed okay, never really heard any complaints about it.

@MooseClub, if you're an O-4 I would live off base.  Vance is small so there isn't a lot offered on base for the family.  Reasonable housing can be found pretty much anywhere North and West of the base (avoid everything east of Van Buren).  Anywhere in town is at most a 10-15 minute drive or less. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

Moved from Vance a few months back (spent 5 years there) and I didn't live on base but quite a few friends did, so I'll be speaking on what I saw.

The married UPT houses (with great exception) were nothing special, 2-3 bedrooms with garage and/or carport.  Decent sized, but not huge.  All houses have their own back yard that is medium sized, lots of parks and a few dog parks on base though to help mitigate this.  The base is small so you can walk to pretty much everywhere you want pretty easily (read drunk stumble back from the club).

There are 2 blocks or so of newer housing, no idea who those go to (besides the obvious O-6's), had a pair of friends from UPT who lucked into them but besides that pretty much everyone else I knew lived in the standard older house.  Maintenance seemed okay, never really heard any complaints about it.

@MooseClub, if you're an O-4 I would live off base.  Vance is small so there isn't a lot offered on base for the family.  Reasonable housing can be found pretty much anywhere North and West of the base (avoid everything east of Van Buren).  Anywhere in town is at most a 10-15 minute drive or less. 

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

On 1/6/2019 at 3:22 PM, FDNYOldGuy said:

@MooseClub, thanks for the great input! I am sure a lot of it will be dependent on my personal situation and require me talking to the housing office, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

So, from what I gather, if I’m unaccompanied as Reserves, I can apply for a BAH waiver since my rate where my family is/HOR is because it is higher than I’d get at Vance. It takes awhile (~10 weeks after applying for it) to get approved and paid for it from what we were told, but it is an option. 

I understood it as they wouldn’t give me a house on base AND still pay the higher HOR BAH, unless it was within a set amount of time (30 days, maybe) before they’d arrive, so I’d have to stay in the dorms until closer to when they’re going to arrive. 

This is good to know, too. If I could squeeze a few more days, I could hold off on her work end date and we could go together. 

Then again, it might be easier to do the DITY myself and send them via plane, but I’m not sure how that changes things. 

Anyway, to your second post, it seems like they’ve got some new houses on base down there, which is nice, and I’ve heard they’re the nicer ones of UPT bases; if not a bit small 1200sf/3 beds. Management companies are always bad, it seems. 

You're correct re: Reserves and living in the dorms, I'm collecting BAH for where my wife is while living in the dorms (without any BAH deduction). You'll get Vance BAH from Day 1, and in a month or three you'll start getting BAH for wherever your family is, plus the difference retroactively.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello all, I'm headed to Vance for UPT soon and considering housing options. I recently had a guy tell me that O-3s and above cannot be forced to live in the dorms. He, a single O-3, was assigned a house (to himself...?!) on base and seemed to like it. Can anyone corroborate his statement? I've also had a couple recommend that I (single O-4) live in the dorms anyway to foster class cohesiveness. I'm not stoked on that idea but haven't ruled anything out. I've gotten recommendations for the Esplanade apartments off base as well, though looking on my own, the Edgewood Arms is closer and gets decent reviews. Any info/advice welcome.

1 hour ago, Splash95 said:

Hello all, I'm headed to Vance for UPT soon and considering housing options. I recently had a guy tell me that O-3s and above cannot be forced to live in the dorms. He, a single O-3, was assigned a house (to himself...?!) on base and seemed to like it. Can anyone corroborate his statement? I've also had a couple recommend that I (single O-4) live in the dorms anyway to foster class cohesiveness. I'm not stoked on that idea but haven't ruled anything out. I've gotten recommendations for the Esplanade apartments off base as well, though looking on my own, the Edgewood Arms is closer and gets decent reviews. Any info/advice welcome.

Definitely know more than a few Captains, and a Maj, that lived in the dorms at Vance. AD and Guard/Res, so definitely a mix. Although I think the Guard/Res folks did it because they were firing BAH money back home to families because, for some reason or another, us Guard/Reserve folks didn't get charged for the dorms at all where AD folks did get dinged for 98.69% of their BAH.

I lived in the dorms briefly while the fam was back home/I was at SERE and they were a mixed bag. My room was okay, but there are definitely horror stories of mold/humidity problems (the contractor installed the dehumidifiers wrong then went bankrupt...yay), bad AC (not fun in OK summer), and broken water lines flooding rooms.

I moved to a house on base when the fam came down and enjoyed it, but I'm just a lowly 2LT so the BAH burned for the house was less than I could rent something comparable off base; you'll be in a different boat because they'll be charging you O-4 BAH, which is quite a bit higher than I was getting and makes it less attractive.

Are you considering roommates or that out of the question? You might be able to get a spot on base with some roomies, get the benefits of living close and with other folks, and not burn all your BAH, if so. 

Dorms or base housing, the convenience is awesome, you'll have tons of folks from your class and other classes as neighbors, and it's nice to be able to go to BBQs/get boxed at friends' houses/go study/etc. and just have a short walk home. The pool and gym are nice and close to housing or dorms, as is BX/Commissary, and you can be at the squadron in 3 minutes, which is priceless on 0430 show days or night weeks landing at 2100. Downsides are that it'll maybe feel a little bit like prison because you will leave base less, you'll be surrounded by UPT reminders (I was on T6 inside downwind and it was not always awesome to be hearing planes going over; especially night weeks), and if you do have a bunch of friends off base and go drinking there, the Ubers can't get on base to drop you off if you take one home. The walk to the dorms from the front gate sucks with the load on.  

As for apartments off base, Esplanade is nice and has a lot of UPT studs there, so you'll likely have hangout friends. But, there also seems to be emails every few months coming out from leadership saying the management there is pissed at UPT studs for partying too hard and destroying the pool or something. Could be a pro or a con for you, depending. There's also Toscana, which is about 15 minutes from base, and will have it's fair share of students (and a few IPs) living there. Never heard of the Edgewood Arms or of anyone living there, so can't really speak to that, but the fact I never heard of anyone living there might also be telling. 

22 hours ago, Splash95 said:

I've also had a couple recommend that I (single O-4) live in the dorms anyway to foster class cohesiveness

This may be the stupidest thing I've read all day.  No one cares where you live, in fact in my whole class (nearly 30 people) only 1 person lived in the dorms.  Plus the dorms are tiny and suck.  So don't live in the dorm.  Go get an apartment or a house off base (or on base if you want).  

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Looking for some guidance here. Guard hire and heading to UPT soon.  My wife will be staying back home for training since she has a great job.  She'll move with me when I get to my final base.  I know there are obvious cons to the dorms but between the convenience of being close and not having to purchase furniture, I'm leaning towards UOQs.  Few questions:

1) Is living in the dorms an option if married or are you forced to either live in a house/off base?

2)  If I do live in the dorms, will I get BAH at all?  I've heard you'll get the difference of Enid single BAH and your permanent residence dependent BAH but on here I've seen you'll get full BAH.

Thanks for any info you guys have

2 hours ago, Flash57 said:

Looking for some guidance here. Guard hire and heading to UPT soon.  My wife will be staying back home for training since she has a great job.  She'll move with me when I get to my final base.  I know there are obvious cons to the dorms but between the convenience of being close and not having to purchase furniture, I'm leaning towards UOQs.  Few questions:

1) Is living in the dorms an option if married or are you forced to either live in a house/off base?

2)  If I do live in the dorms, will I get BAH at all?  I've heard you'll get the difference of Enid single BAH and your permanent residence dependent BAH but on here I've seen you'll get full BAH.

Thanks for any info you guys have

1. You can definitely live in the dorms if married. 

2. I didn’t get charged to live in the dorms for the ~2 months I was there before fam joined (had BITs and SERE before UPT start) and “got” BAH for fam back home. I put it in quotes, in that you’ll have to apply to get the waiver, which takes months to get approved. During that time they’ll pay you Enid BAH, until you’re approved. So, if your expenses are high, be prepped for 4-6 months of getting ~$1000/mo Enid BAH. 

23 minutes ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

1. You can definitely live in the dorms if married. 

2. I didn’t get charged to live in the dorms for the ~2 months I was there before fam joined (had BITs and SERE before UPT start) and “got” BAH for fam back home. I put it in quotes, in that you’ll have to apply to get the waiver, which takes months to get approved. During that time they’ll pay you Enid BAH, until you’re approved. So, if your expenses are high, be prepped for 4-6 months of getting ~$1000/mo Enid BAH. 

Awesome thanks for that.  Did you have to apply to get the Enid BAH?  And did that waiver go through finance at Vance or your unit?

No applying necessary; you’ll get Enid automatically because they’ll PCS you there. They’ll pay you Enid BAH until the waiver goes through, then they’ll debit all the Enid rate all back out and pay you your home BAH rate for the previous months missed as a lump sum and then just pay you the new rate going forward. Kind of a PITA, so just make sure you’re prepped with some extra savings to ride the bumps.

I don’t know how the Guard works since I went Reserves, so I can’t really answer how the waiver flows. I’d guess through your home unit, since they own you. You’ll be able to do zero with Finance at Vance, since they own no part of anyone not Active Duty. 

• Like 2