Vance AFB information

HerkDerka

If you're on Facebook check out the 71 STURON Spouses page for a start. Otherwise try to get together with the other spouses/girlfriends of the guys in your dude's class. We have a bunch of married guys in my class and all the wives hang out together. Then again some classes have very few married dudes and their wives have no one to hang out with... So they hang out with our class spouses as well

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

My thoughts regarding living on-base verse off-base at Vance.

I lived in the dorms for about one month before moving off-base, midway through phase I (academics). The dorms are okay, but you're living in what amounts to a hotel suite for 13+ months. Kitchen, appliances, bedding, carpet and bathroom are all clean and serviceable, but not much else can be said for them. The dorms are older, so they're not as nice as they could be. Any furniture in the room can be taken out at your request; I would suggest bringing your own desk, as the desks they provide are pretty small. Each room is provided with a storage locker in the center part of the building. The locker is approximately 4'x4'x4'. The pro of living on base is the convenience. However, I think the cons greatly outweigh the one pro. There were frequently maintenance shenanigans with dorms (flooding, HVAC system straight up fails, ongoing construction). Further, you're living in a small space. The kitchen/living room/bedroom are all open to one another, and then you walk through the closet to get to the bathroom. However, I think the biggest negative is the fact that you essentially are paying $891 (O-1 no dependents BAH rate in Enid) to stay there.

I moved off-base about two weeks before the flight line began. It would not be impossible to move once you have begun flying, but it would definitely be difficult.

I moved to a three bedroom house off-base with two other guys in my class. After paying rent and utilities, I pocketed ~$250 most months. I didn't live that far north of base (Vance sits at the southern border of Enid), so while I had a "commute" every morning, a 10 minute drive from my door to the student parking lot was not bad at all. You have more flexibility off-base: you can keep a gun at your place, people can visit more easily, you don't have to worry about getting back on-base after a night out. And you make money doing it. The majority of the guys in my class lived off base.

Edited by Insubordinate & Churlish

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like I'm missing something here Port Dog...

Is there an actual option to just live off base on BAH? I was under the impression all single officers will live in the dorms if they aren't to capacity...so did you just get lucky with capacity filling up? They didn't just say "you're already living in the dorms, stay"?

It depends. If you arrive around the time all the recent Academy grads show up, the dorms can't handle everyone, and they issue a blanket statement allowing you to move off base (thus receiving BAH) right away. If the Academy rush has quieted down, you put your name on a waiting list to move off base. As a reference point, I arrived in January, and was on the wait list to move off base for about a week. Call the Cherokee Inn. The staff is helpful and knowledgeable on this topic.

Edited by Port Dog
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Not sure if this is the right thread / subforum but figured I'd try...

I will be going to Vance for UPT Phase 1+2. My wife and I will have a newborn at this point and we have been playing with the idea of bringing my mother in law to live with us to help us support the UPT lifestyle. Can anyone speak to Vance housing rules or AF rules regarding having family living on base or sharing our housing? My concern is making sure we could get my mother in law an ID and whatnot.

She has to be your legal dependent to get an ID card, legally reside at your on-base house, shop at the commissary, etc.  So unless you have legitimate reason for her to be your dependent, then no, this will not work in a legal sense.  That said, you can get here base passes for X days (not sure what the max is at Vance) and she can obviously come stay with you often, but I wouldn't count on her being there for 100% of UPT.

I'll also add I cannot imagine having your in law live with you is a good idea during UPT, regardless of baby.  It'll be a stressful year and you don't need mom in-law making it more stressful - she will, no matter how good of a relationship you have.

Edited by brabus

On base housing is small. A decent size living room, a very small kitchen, and three small bedrooms. For us the larger was our bedroom, the second one was an office/place for me to study, and the other a guest room, just to provide you a reference to think about how an extended stay would work out. Also I had several friends with newborns or have a baby during UPT and family would come out for a couple weeks but never much longer.

UPT is a tough but great time, you'll make lifelong friends that will help you and your family get through it. The wives usually stick together and help each other.

Edited by Fuzz

It'll be a stressful year and you don't need mom in-law making it more stressful - she will, no matter how good of a relationship you have.

This.

My mother-in-law is a wonderful person and we get along great.  Shes from outside the U.S. and when I was in T-6s she came and stayed with us for about 3 months.   I wouldn't do it again.  She was great, and having her there helped in some ways, but the little bit of time you will have you'll want to spend with your wife and kid.   It really put a lot of extra stress on my wife and I that could have been avoided.

As for her staying on base.  I talked to base housing and the AF counterpart when my mother-in-law was coming and its possible to have her stay with you to "visit", having her live there is a flat out "no" with no exceptions other than her qualifying as a dependent(some sort of condition where she can't care for herself and you provide all of her care).  Having my my wife's mom stay with us required all sorts of special approval and it was only a long term visit and it was almost denied. That being said, if you are set on having her come down here the only option you really have is to live off base.   As for the passes to get on base, what we did for her mom was have them issue them a month at a time, and you could just keep renewing it.  You have to provide info to the visitors center ((580) 213-5528) though so they can do a background check before hand.

I can tell you though (in fact my wife insists that I tell you) that the spouses network at Vance is one of the best you'll find.   They really take care of their own.  Its actually quite awesome.

This.

My mother-in-law is a wonderful person and we get along great.  Shes from outside the U.S. and when I was in T-6s she came and stayed with us for about 3 months.   I wouldn't do it again.  She was great, and having her there helped in some ways, but the little bit of time you will have you'll want to spend with your wife and kid.   It really put a lot of extra stress on my wife and I that could have been avoided.

As for her staying on base.  I talked to base housing and the AF counterpart when my mother-in-law was coming and its possible to have her stay with you to "visit", having her live there is a flat out "no" with no exceptions other than her qualifying as a dependent(some sort of condition where she can't care for herself and you provide all of her care).  Having my my wife's mom stay with us required all sorts of special approval and it was only a long term visit and it was almost denied. That being said, if you are set on having her come down here the only option you really have is to live off base.   As for the passes to get on base, what we did for her mom was have them issue them a month at a time, and you could just keep renewing it.  You have to provide info to the visitors center ((580) 213-5528) though so they can do a background check before hand.

I can tell you though (in fact my wife insists that I tell you) that the spouses network at Vance is one of the best you'll find.   They really take care of their own.  Its actually quite awesome.

She did make good food though!

• 2 months later...

I'm at OTS right now and have orders to Vance in early January for UPT. Does anyone have advice on housing? Based on the market I'm thinking about buying, are there any areas to stay away from? Also, those who have stayed on base, good/bad experiences? Any advice is appreciated. 

I wouldn't bother buying unless you plan to be a FAIP... You're only going to be there for a year and a half or so.

Are you married? If so the family housing is not bad. We lived on base and had a lot of fun while we were there, mostly because there were a bunch of other married couples in our class that lived on base plus the dudes in the dorms, so we had cookouts and parties all the time within walking distance.

If you're single, I'd consider living off base a little more strongly only because the dorms are pretty small so you could get a lot more for your BAH, especially if you have a roommate or two.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't bother buying unless you plan to be a FAIP... You're only going to be there for a year and a half or so.

Are you married? If so the family housing is not bad. We lived on base and had a lot of fun while we were there, mostly because there were a bunch of other married couples in our class that lived on base plus the dudes in the dorms, so we had cookouts and parties all the time within walking distance.

If you're single, I'd consider living off base a little more strongly only because the dorms are pretty small so you could get a lot more for your BAH, especially if you have a roommate or two.

Pretty much this.  On base is nice if you are married, on base sucks bad if you aren't and are used to freedom. On base in the dorms do bs room inspections and threatened to CR folks if they leave the coffee pot plugged in twice in a row or some similar crap.    

Off base, stay on the North side of town.  South end is kinda dirty.  All in all though, Vance is a great little base.  I liked it.  There is a nice archery range east of town you can get signed up for at Bills and there is an indoor archery range near the base as well, although indoor is pricey.  

Mama Titas for mexican, Jumbo for sushi, Waukomis for Coffee,the artisan pizza joint downtown, and Turkey Creek for BBQ.  Callaghans is ok, but gets old after a while.  

Mama Titas for mexican, Jumbo for sushi, Waukomis for Coffee,the artisan pizza joint downtown, and Turkey Creek for BBQ.  Callaghans is ok, but gets old after a while.  

True and also Octavio's downtown for more good tacos, the Chinese takeout place next to Jumbo, and Flamingo's for awesome burgers. I think the Italian place downtown is Napoli's; their pizza is pretty good but that's about it IMO.

For bars, yeah Callaghan's has probably the best beer selection but it does get old. Crappy's is a pretty cool dive bar, and if you go with a group you can take over the back room which has pool and darts. Captain's Quarters is another armpit which is pretty fun to get loaded at when it's open. Scooter's for late night disgusting drunk ladies, which you'll have to check out at least once. Both strip clubs in town are shitholes so don't go sober.

The good liquor store in town is Proof. Also get your hair cut at Blue Jay.

That sounds like a lot of suggestions but I think we pretty much covered everything there is to do in Enid!

If your class isn't a bunch of d-bags than there's plenty of opportunities for fun while you're there.

On 12/5/2015, 6:12:52, spaceman said:

True and also Octavio's downtown for more good tacos, the Chinese takeout place next to Jumbo, and Flamingo's for awesome burgers. I think the Italian place downtown is Napoli's; their pizza is pretty good but that's about it IMO.

For bars, yeah Callaghan's has probably the best beer selection but it does get old. Crappy's is a pretty cool dive bar, and if you go with a group you can take over the back room which has pool and darts. Captain's Quarters is another armpit which is pretty fun to get loaded at when it's open. Scooter's for late night disgusting drunk ladies, which you'll have to check out at least once. Both strip clubs in town are shitholes so don't go sober.

The good liquor store in town is Proof. Also get your hair cut at Blue Jay.

That sounds like a lot of suggestions but I think we pretty much covered everything there is to do in Enid!

If your class isn't a bunch of d-bags than there's plenty of opportunities for fun while you're there.

Five80 for coffee.

And I would repeat UPT, from Day 1/Phase 1, to be able eat at Mama Titas again. 

Edited by whall85

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Possibly a long shot but does anyone have pictures of what on-base housing looks like for a married O3 no kids. It's hard to believe the Vance Hunt page has nothing considering that is the most important reason to have a website.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Does anyone have the latest gouge on housing options in Enid they'd like to share? What are the odds of me getting off base as a single guy with no dependents, best places to live off base, apartments, side off town?

I will be reporting there next month so i'm trying to figure out what I should do regarding housing. My hopes are to get off base so I can move my gf down with  me.  How realistic would this be?

Thanks in advance for any input.

With the oil crash, there are actually a lot of rentals available. Check ahrn.com and homes.mil for examples.

As for a single dude w/no dependents, it entirely depends on dorm capacity. Typically, unless residency is above 95%, you get dorms (and no BAH.) Unfortunately, the AF only views people as single, or married. Girlfriends are irrelevant. 

However, working 12+ hour days 6 days a week, going solo isn't a bad thing. Unless your SO is a nurse or teacher, sometimes local jobs can be challenging to come by... so if she's got a good deal going for her at her current location, it might be worth keeping her in her current spot.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I will be reporting to vance come the end of March. I'm married but my wife is staying in charlotte. I've already planned on living off base and see there is a newer apartment complex there that seems pretty nice. I was planning on bringing all my hunting equipment thinking I could get out a few Saturdays during the seasons.  

What's the weekly grind like at vance? Is it 5 12s and weekends off or is there zero down time.  Everyone I've talked to went to other upt bases and usually had the weekends off but used Sunday afternoon to prepare for the next week.  

All input is welcome and thanks in advance.

@Vixty

Former FAIP who just left Vance here, so I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Weekly grind varies, but in general it's 12hrs a day + several more hours studying/prepping at home.  During Academics (slack-ademics really) it's 8ish hour days of classes and some sims.  Once you hit the flight line it's 12hrs per day 5 days a week plus your study time (as mentioned before).  Phase 3 is similar, usually with a little more free time during the week (think 10hr days) since you already have the basics down.  Weekends are yours except during XC's (usually 1 per phase).  Your friends are correct, usually Sunday around 3ish is when people start getting together to study.  If you're bringing your hunting gear there are some good spots around Enid for Deer hunting, quite a few of the IP's hunt so you shouldn't have any issue getting good gouge from them on where to go.

Sounds like you've got a decent game plan so far.  The apartments you're referring to are pretty nice, they are a little expensive so if you can find a roommate to lower the cost, do it.  Stillwater is a good time and is about ~1 hr away.  OKC is good time, Bricktown is overrated (as a married dude I didn't really enjoy the clubs there), but Mid-Town with Fassler Hall and the food truck court/McNellies is pretty on point.  Tulsa is ~2hrs away but has some solid downtown action in the Blue Dome and Brady Districts with many hotels nearby to crash at.

If you have any questions about Enid or what to expect feel free to PM me, good luck!

• 9 months later...

Hey guys....got a buddy heading to Vance on a short notice PCS (moving in either December or Jan). He will be bringing a wife and 3 kiddos.  The oldest will start kindergarten next year.  He isn't a flyer so short commute for early go's not as big of a deal vs coming in as an IP.  Any gouge on neighborhoods to look at, avoid, etc?  Any other info updated info on the area is appreciated.

Thanks!