?s on logging flight time

Guest truthbringer

looks like they changed their pricing model on Nov 8th. But, I would not trust the website, go to the App Store and see what it's priced at. From what I can see on Coradine's FB page, it will be a one-time purchase and then free upgrades for life. I got it when it was free (immediately after the new version was released), so I guess I'm lucky.

Yep, much to my disappointment. It's now a subscription only product. And while you can still have access to your current data if you stop your subscription, you can't add any more flights. Not happy about the change because I've already spent a lot of money on the current version which is quickly going to become obsolete and useless. iCloud syncing on the old version (if you already paid for it) no longer works if you upgrade to the newest Mac OS. And gets no more support from Coradine.

I recently downloaded MyFlightbook for iOS but haven't had a chance to really use it. I don't think there is a desktop client, so it may not be robust enough to handle an entire career of military flying, but seems like a reasonable free alternative for light civilian flying.

Too bad about the LogTen Pro pricing. I use a simple excel spreadsheet with columns for every 781 category and it's has served me well enough.

Yep, much to my disappointment. It's now a subscription only product.

not true. If you stick to the desktop version only, then it's a one-time fee and free upgrades for life. You only pay a subscription if you want to integrate with iOS devices.

not true. If you stick to the desktop version only, then it's a one-time fee and free upgrades for life. You only pay a subscription if you want to integrate with iOS devices.

Sorry, yes, it's subscription if you want to use anything besides your desktop. But since the ability to sync with my phone was a major selling point when I bought it (use the phone to log flights), this new version is a fail. For me. YMMV. $50 a year on top of $180 to buy the new desktop and mobile versions on top of the hundreds I've already spent on the current version just to keep my current functionality is...annoying.

well I came in only when Pro was released (few months ago), and I got it for free (desktop), so I don't have complaints, as I don't currently have any $$ sunk into it.

Damn, that's awesome. L10 Pro is a great program. If you don't want the mobile stuff and got it for free with no subscriptions, that's a great deal.

ZuluLog is a pretty sweet website with quite a bit you can do for free. The paid stuff is even better and is somewhere around $60 a year I think.

Question on logging instrument time...

I heard the technique that when shooting approaches, even if in VMC, some guys will log instrument time. You can debate all day whether that qualifies as "operating the aircraft solely by reference to instruments." Can I see the ground? Yes. But am I navigating based on what I see on the ground? Not at all. I am flying solely based on what I see in the HUD, so IMO I am flying only on the instruments.

I log about .2 per approach and the SARMs folks don't seem to have an issue with it.

Anyone have any words on this?

ZuluLog is a pretty sweet website with quite a bit you can do for free. The paid stuff is even better and is somewhere around $60 a year I think.

Question on logging instrument time...

I heard the technique that when shooting approaches, even if in VMC, some guys will log instrument time. You can debate all day whether that qualifies as "operating the aircraft solely by reference to instruments." Can I see the ground? Yes. But am I navigating based on what I see on the ground? Not at all. I am flying solely based on what I see in the HUD, so IMO I am flying only on the instruments.

I log about .2 per approach and the SARMs folks don't seem to have an issue with it.

Anyone have any words on this?

The way it was explained to me was this is the difference between IMC and Simulated IMC on the 781. IMC means I can't see outside, simulated means I can see but I'm using instruments to conduct the approach. All that regardless if it is in the sim or in the jet. So technically you can log IMC time in the sim and Simulated IMC in the jet.

Then again that instructor could just have been wrong.

If you're using instruments to navigate, it's instrument time (simulated if not actually in IMC or unaided night like Breckey pointed out). Flying a SID without ground references is instrument flying. I've logged plenty of instrument time across sorties that don't involve a single approach.

If you're using instruments to navigate, it's instrument time (simulated if not actually in IMC or unaided night like Breckey pointed out). Flying a SID without ground references is instrument flying. I've logged plenty of instrument time across sorties that don't involve a single approach.

Same. Unless I'm flying VFR (including executing tactical maneuvering within a restricted military operating airspace) I log it as instrument time even if I can see the ground. If it's at night and my NVGs aren't on, it's Instrument time. If my NVGs are on, then it's NVG time, but not both. There's no column on my 781 for "IMC" time, just "Instrument" so that's what I log. Class A airspace = Instrument. SID/STAR = Instrument. Radar Vectors to an ILS = Instrument. On my average 1.3 SEAD sortie I log 0.5 of Instrument time just going to and from. If I'm doing that wrong, so is everyone else in my squadron. If it's at night, then it's 0.5 Instrument and 0.8 NVG. Also, I don't care about going to the airlines so I'm not sure it matters at all I just like to be accurate in my records.

IP time vs MP time is a whole different animal...

Slander, you & Brabus are saying two different things. Key word in definition of "Instrument" is "require"--if conditions *require* the use of instruments, then it's instrument time; in other cases when you maintain attitude* via instruments (but conditions do not *require* doing so, i.e., when it's not IMC), that's "Simulated Instrument." If you "just like to be accurate" in your records, you should be logging Sim Inst for the conditions you cite (when not in IMC). Airspace classification is irrelevant IMO, but accomplishing an instrument procedure (SID/STAR/IAP) definitely meet the definition of Sim Inst (or Inst if in actual IMC).

(Deliberately not touching the "night = instrument" argument, that's been beaten to death both in the AF & FAA definitions--with no convincing answer either way.)

*Note, it's not how you navigate that determines your instrument status, it's how you maintain attitude.

• 3 years later...

Blast from the past.....anybody ever tried/had any luck submitting a DD Form 149 to the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records to have some stuff in your flight records changed(meaning from 6-9 years ago that the HARM office said can't be changed)?  Back in the day as a good ole LT, you can imagine how the overwhelming flight records review goes as you stare at all the flights you used to get as a young guy in the sqd and you say, "yup looks good."  Or was that just me?  Now as I try to clean it all up, i've discovered some penciled in screw ups from the HARM office back then literally miscounting hours by a couple and adding flights and sims(when the actual number is less than their math) with pencil too because their calculator math was better than the computer?!?!  Anyway, as I mentioned at the top, anybody had any luck?  If so, how long does it take-ish from submitting the form to the record being allowed to be updated and keeping the form in there?  I literally need a couple pencil changes to the pencil changes.

You might be asking why, prolly not, but if you are, it's cuz things just don't add up right.  For future employment, I know they aren't looking that closely at the records, but I also don't want to be the rando record they do take a close look at and things don't add up.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Thoughts are that (1) if you're OCD and want it fixed, go for it.  I get it.  But (2) don't do it for the airlines' sake  They're simply not going to look at it that closely.  If they do question you on a penciled-in 2.3 discrepancy, it's to see how you react, not to actually question your hours.  I handed the panel 4 logbooks (AF, Navy, electronic, and early civilian).  Counting the application, they could have compared numbers from 5 sources.  There's no way they all added up.  Didn't hear a word about it.

Do you have a source document (that's not a personal logbook) proving the correct times? If you do, it's a pretty easy process assuming your HARM office is willing to help. If you're already out, it might be harder to find a HARM that is willing to do it quickly. If you don't have a source document, our can show that the originals have an error (as in times don't add up), you won't be able to change it.

I was able to correct 60 hours that we're missing from when I was a copilot- same thing as you, new flyer that hadn't been told how to do a proper records review, and didn't discover the error until making my logbook for the airlines.

If you don't have a source document, our can show that the originals have an error (as in times don't add up), you won't be able to change it.

HARM office had me fill out 781s to match the time written in my personal logbook that was not reflected in my flying records.  They had no issues with it being the only source.

• Upvote 1

Thanks ya'll, appreciate the responses.  3 of the 4 problems lie within simple math that doesn't add up, so hopefully they can just change it in their system and "initial the change" cuz that is usually the key to making it ok.  I've never seen a pencil change to the pencil change, but such is life.

• 5 months later...

So I never saved my Aviation Training Jacket when I completed UPT.  The ole total student time shows up on my flight records, but zero breakdown for T6/T38 sorties and time.  Anybody know if the registrar at UPT bases keeps a record for X amount of time of all grads(talkin 10 years ago)?  

I know I could just put the total time in there as student/dual on some airline apps, but again no breakdown between the two types.  I'm not concerned about the handful of hours of solo time, but moreso accurately reflecting the time in each aircraft and the sortie numbers.  Cheers.