Baseops Forums
Guest ecutch

Palace Chase info

great info thanks!

can i set an official date of seperation (end of my ADSC this december)? Would that even do anything?

not against deploying, but def against deploying for a non flying gig to be a power point useless ranger.

That’s probably your best shot. If I recall, the reg says they have to have you home around 30-60 days before your final out (don’t quote me). I would stockpile leave and also use terminal leave to fence you in even more. I believe you can apply for separation up to 1 year out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1

great info thanks!
can i set an official date of seperation (end of my ADSC this december)? Would that even do anything?
not against deploying, but def against deploying for a non flying gig to be a power point useless ranger.

My In Service Recruiter said I could not have a set date of separation while applying for Palace Chase. I wanted to hedge my bets same as you, to avoid a 180. So you’ll have to choose one or the other, I believe. Also the built up leave probably won’t protect you because they’ll just make you sell it back instead of letting you take it as terminal.

So you can roll the dice with PC and maybe be out in June and have terminal prior to that. Or you can set a separation date for December which might buy you an even earlier 180 day to meet the timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My In Service Recruiter said I could not have a set date of separation while applying for Palace Chase. I wanted to hedge my bets same as you, to avoid a 180. So you’ll have to choose one or the other, I believe. Also the built up leave probably won’t protect you because they’ll just make you sell it back instead of letting you take it as terminal.

So you can roll the dice with PC and maybe be out in June and have terminal prior to that. Or you can set a separation date for December which might buy you an even earlier 180 day to meet the timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good gosh. Sucks to hear that things have gotten worse since I left. I’m rooting for you! I still think PC is your best option though.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I submitted the PC and it’s going up thru the wickets. I have an intent to hire letter from the attached reserve sq. 

Im hoping whoever sees the PC package sees that they’re not really “losing” me, but gaining me in a different capacity. 

• Like 2

A lessons learned I'd like to pass on from my PC process:

The medical approval process for the Reserves / Guard is a lot longer than you'd think.

BUT, it is fairly easy to get your "1288's suspense of 60 days after tentative approval" extended. Just talk to your ISR and I ended up getting mine extended an extra 30 days. I was sweating it pretty bad with the nightmare of them cancelling my PC if I busted the suspense.

Is there more to do beyond getting the 422?

Also, I haven’t gotten official word from AFPC yet, but I can see in CMS that mine has been approved. 

11M, asked for 6 months off, submitted 30 Dec, had intent to hire letter submitted with package. Longest single part of the process so far was getting the Wg/CC signature on the 1288

The medical portion was probably the easiest of the entire process, at least with me.  You schedule an appt with your SHPE, he/she will then schedule you a couple appts, and when those are complete, you'll get your 422.  Pretty straight forward.

Couple questions if anyone can help.  Our local base policy requires our 1288 to be routed via an eSSS up to our Wing Commander.  In that process it sat for about a month and a half.  Group Commander decided to tag me with a 6 month deployment while it was sitting on his desk.  Wing Commander recommended Disapprove and put in the comments that I am filling a deployment billet and would not be eligible for my 6 month PC request (deployment takes me right to the end of my commitment).  Two questions...1) Are they likely to disregard the deployment comments because of the "Exception for Aircrew" policy as I've seen in previous posts?  2) Should I include an MFR that points to that regulation (as well as the timeline of events for routing of my 1288 showing I had applied for PC before the deployment).  Follow up to that...if so, how can I upload an MFR after my CMS case has left the base?  Thanks for any help!  

Been hearing rumors of a 2 year PC getting approved out at Travis...?

Also, do you need to include the intent to hire letter with the PC paperwork? I assume not required per se, but would definitely be helpful (especially if asking for a good chunk of time off)?

Anything near 2 years is likely PC off a PCS or additional school ADSC. No chance in hell thats off a UPT ADSC. The letter could help sway the O-6s at SAF/PC, but it’s not required as far as I know. 

5 hours ago, brabus said:

Anything near 2 years is likely PC off a PCS or additional school ADSC. No chance in hell thats off a UPT ADSC. The letter could help sway the O-6s at SAF/PC, but it’s not required as far as I know. 

Rare indeed, but I've seen it done. Hell, the guy I refer to got 3 years off it! Unicorn sample for sure (medical poor mouthing regarding dependent who needed out-of-state care was the stated reason). What's more, same guy managed to separate from the ARC with a monumental PC balance waived too, a few years after he'd secured employment at a major.

The reality is that the guy was a squeaky wheel at the end, and the unit was more than happy to let him go, especially as someone willing to leave a reserve retirement on the table anyways.  BL, 100% chance of not getting what you don't ask for I suppose. 

Wow, that’s crazy! Though I still think your average AD pilot (who doesn’t have a significantly compelling reason) won’t have a chance in hell of getting that much off UPT. Managing expectations...

WheelsOff, for what it's worth, below is a quote from the PC office regarding inclusion of a hiring letter and some some of the other mandatory documents.  Apparently some get kicked back just for minor errors (like dates not matching).  This isn't all the documents required but info about the ones that typically are missing or cause a hiccup in the application.

"Intent to Hire letter from gaining unit showing tentative position (optional but highly encouraged)"

"AF 2631 Palace Chase Statement of Understanding (witness & mbr dates must MATCH)"

"Wet/digital signed justification memo (SAF PC will look at this)"

• Like 1