Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

Just found out my second PC application was approved. I'm an '06 Herk nav and got just under a year of ADSC left. I heard that's the magic number. But with the VSP, half the Herk community is going to up and vanish before our eyes, so who knows...

On my way to Cheyenne!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any info if mobility pilots have been approved for Palace Chase? I have 3 years of ADSC left. I'm an MWS IP about to be sent to a non-flying job that wasn't remotely on my updated ADP, just a "must fill" billet. I want to fly and have the freedom to explore other career opportunities.

• 1 month later...

The best I EVER heard was 6 months, straight from AFPC's mouth.

For pilots that is.

Matmac,

From what you heard, does "6 months" mean, for example if my commitment expires Jan 13, then I should apply July 12 for a separation date sometime between then and Jan 13, OR would it refer to applying in Feb 12 (or so) for a July 12 (6 months prior to commitment expiring) separation? Sounds like a moot point, but it matters to me and probably a lot of people. When it's time, it's time.

I know a few (non-current) 11F's get approved in the last 2 years or so, this is what they tell me. The PC people want 60 days to process your application, which they will lose a couple of times around the office. You probably want an extra 30 days after the 60 to out-process. The way I've seen it work, is 90 days from when you want out, submit your package (this is a minimum). Take your ADSC, back it up 6 months, then back it up another 90 days and that is the day your application should be submitted through vMPF. These are minimum times that I have seen work, you might have to dig into the reg to see how far out you can apply, might wan't to try that, I haven't heard good things about the process. Talk to your SQ/CC before you do it, he will get an email the moment you submit. It also helps (almost required) to have an intent to hire letter from Reserve/Guard unit. I've also heard letters of recommendation are helpful. Oh yeah, your WG/CC needs to sign off on it as well, good luck with jobs/strats/awards after the package is submitted. I had it worked at my base so I only had 1 OPR left when my intentions were realized, still got a school push, but I was ranked...oh wait, I wasn't. The moment I got approved to get out, I became a line IP with no job....kind of a good deal for 3 months. But what do I know, I'm a non-current 11F3H (about to be recurrent :rock:) that got approved for VSP 4 months ago, who woulda thunk it?

Edited by matmacwc

Guest Hueypilot812

I spoke to the Palace Chase people last week...if you're inside a year, you're probably pretty golden. If not, then it just depends on your situation. Another thing to consider...if you get tagged to deploy, you can't even apply for PC until you no longer show in a deployed status (and that includes your 2 weeks of recon leave too). That's the situation I'm in...I already did a 365 while assigned to this wing and now I'm going on a 182 day deployment as a nice "going away" gift...so this deployment is royally screwing me. But there's not much I can do about it...either way I'll be in AFRC by next summer.

Bottom line is if you want to PC, don't volunteer for any deployments because you can't even get the process started till you're no longer showing "deployed". And then it's a minimum of 90 days before you can separate too...so in my case, with this impending 6 month TDY, I can't separate for another 9-10 months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I spoke to the Palace Chase people last week...if you're inside a year, you're probably pretty golden. If not, then it just depends on your situation. Another thing to consider...if you get tagged to deploy, you can't even apply for PC until you no longer show in a deployed status (and that includes your 2 weeks of recon leave too). That's the situation I'm in...I already did a 365 while assigned to this wing and now I'm going on a 182 day deployment as a nice "going away" gift...so this deployment is royally screwing me. But there's not much I can do about it...either way I'll be in AFRC by next summer.

Bottom line is if you want to PC, don't volunteer for any deployments because you can't even get the process started till you're no longer showing "deployed". And then it's a minimum of 90 days before you can separate too...so in my case, with this impending 6 month TDY, I can't separate for another 9-10 months.

This is not true. I submitted my application to PC while I was deployed. There is an exception in the Palace Chase reg for contingency deployers (pretty much all mobility guys) since we are deployed for nearly half of every single year. They tried to kick mine back, but I had to point-blank highlight the reg's exception for the Sergeant processing the application, since they're so used to seeing enlisted or non-mobility apps.

Push, push, push.

I understand this forum is focused primarily on aviation, but I found this thread through researching Palace Chase for AD officers. It looks like some are still putting applications through, so I figured I'd get some input on it.

I am a 62E (Acquisitions) officer and I'm interested in transferring to a reserve component to change career fields. This is something well outside my supervisor's knowledge base (and probably expectations of me) but I figure I'll get a better answer here as opposed through going through my chain and getting dirty looks.

Is it still possible to apply for Palace Chase? I'm 18 months into my 4 yr ADSC, ROTC. I know that's very early to try and separate, but if its possible I'd much prefer to work a part time job in the Guard/Reserve with an operational mission than be stuck in Acquisitions.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any and all input.

Hi all, new to the forum.

Was wondering if anyone had direct knowledge of two things:

1. Are or know anyone who has gone Palace Chase while still being on the bonus.
  2. Are or know anyone who has gone Palace Chase while on a staff.

I'm going to be walking into my bosses office and letting him know where I stand. I know this puts me right to the top of the list for a nice 365 and doing crappy office work (oh wait), but I can handle that if there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The total crap that one has to endure at the staff and on is just not worth it for me personally and professionally anymore.

Before you go into it, yes I'm kicking myself in the ass for accepting the lies that lead to 1 and 2 above.

I'm also looking for any info on those who have been approved and what exactly they put on their required memorandums.

Thanks for the help, my wife and I thought really hard and prayed about this path and it would be the best to do this, but I want to be prepared.

Edited by Malbec

All - my palace chase got approved. I'm out in Feb.

Malbec - I know a guy who transferred his GI bill and then palace chased immediately after. Not quite equivalent to the bonus but AFPC owned him for 3 more years and let him go.

Guest HeyLoad

I palace chased from AD back in 2005 with 2 years left. I had a 20K re-enlistment bonus at the time and already received half, as well as one installment. When I separated I ensured I received a "non-recoupment" regarding my bonus. Best of luck....

Trying to interpret the meaning of "2/3 of initial total ADSC" as written in Table 1.1 of the Palace Chase reg (36-3205). My truly initial ADSC was 4 years (non-Academy line officer). Then I went through Nav school and picked up a 6 year commitment for that. I'm now coming up on a PCS and associated training carrying an ADSC of 3 years plus training time, which is concurrent but will still take me several months to a year past my Nav school ADSC. For argument's sake, let's say my commissioning ADSC (assuming it exists) goes through Aug 2011, my Nav ADSC is up Oct 2014, and my PCS/training ADSC runs till Jun 2015. What DOS could I request? Thanks for the help.

Trying to interpret the meaning of "2/3 of initial total ADSC" as written in Table 1.1 of the Palace Chase reg (36-3205). My truly initial ADSC was 4 years (non-Academy line officer). Then I went through Nav school and picked up a 6 year commitment for that. I'm now coming up on a PCS and associated training carrying an ADSC of 3 years plus training time, which is concurrent but will still take me several months to a year past my Nav school ADSC. For argument's sake, let's say my commissioning ADSC (assuming it exists) goes through Aug 2011, my Nav ADSC is up Oct 2014, and my PCS/training ADSC runs till Jun 2015. What DOS could I request? Thanks for the help.

Good question. Dealt with this one myself. After talking to the idiots... er I mean the people at AFPC, your "initial commitment" is the commitment you came with the day you entered Active Duty. So for you it would be 4 years initial commitment. For arguments sake, you could have Palace Chased at the 2/3rd point of your 4 years, even though you incurred the additional 6 year commitment as a Nav. In reality, although you would be eligible to PC at that time, it would probably never happen as the Air Force just dumped a ton of money into you and they expect you to serve out the majority of those 6 additional years. Having said that, nothing the Air Force has ever done with manpower has ever made sense (reference VSP, T-38s to Heavies while undermaned in fighters and overmanned in AMC, the whole Deid thread).

I can't speak to how early they are letting Navs Palace Chase but for Pilots the most I have seen lately is 2 years early. Hope this helps and good luck!

No go for me. I dug through the regs and found the whole 2/3d of your commitment, found a Guard unit to sponsor me and had the OG call AFPC, where they told us I shouldn't even waste my time putting in an application with any more than 2-3 years left on my contract. I was then told by several other guys I trust in my AD unit that if I got turned down with my PC app, that would be an almost sure fire way to get a one way ticket to a UAV.

Edited by Duck