Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

Knowing the Air Force they will approve it once you are already past the six months. Best of luck man. This is not how you keep your best people and fix the AF pilot shortage.

• 2 weeks later...

Timeline update for those interested

Base process: 2 weeks

AFPC: 1.5 weeks

SAF/PC: 3.5 weeks

Approved ~17 months ADSC with a change in my requested DOS. They shifted it to the right a couple months. In the end, that worked out better for me as now I don't have to sell back any leave. 

Best of luck to everyone!

• Upvote 1

Disapproved 3 days ago. 

Submitted 8 March.

To SAF/PC 23 March.

Disapproved 8 April.

Requested DOS 8 June 16 and removing 24 months of ADSC from Post 9-11 GI Bill. AFSC 12S. Was hired back in November for an AGR slot to fly MQ-9s.

Reasoning for the disapproval was "best interest of the Air Force".  I thought they would give you a no kidding "12S manning is at xx% or something along those lines?  No 12S was continued last year... but they need them that badly?  What in the F is wrong with AFPC?

Palace Chase to a USN reserve unit.  Possible?  AFI 36-3205 specifically mentions ANG and AFRC, but not the Navy, so I'm guessing no.  Providing another venue to keep a trained asset in the so-called "Total Force" would make too much sense.  

On April 10, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Herkasaurus said:

Are you passed over? Seems like a lot of time for big blue to give away on the verge of rumored stop loss. Especially for an 11S, which I assume is AFSOC...the hardest place to get out of. 

Now it won't matter if it happens...another stress gone :) Everyone would tell me that each case was individual prior to me submitting, but all I would do would look for trends and hope to play the odds that I was seeing. Be honest in your justification. At worst, SAF can say no and at best, they say yes! But know that every case is different in some way and it does appear that sometimes they see a bigger picture. Good luck!

Question for the masses. Any experience with Palace Chasing with an ALC of C-2? According to the regs I can't even apply, so WTF am I supposed to do?

On 4/20/2016 at 9:43 AM, Duck said:

Question for the masses. Any experience with Palace Chasing with an ALC of C-2? According to the regs I can't even apply, so WTF am I supposed to do?

According to the PC office..  any ALC won't even make it past their office let alone to the SAF/PC.  I'm not sure what C-2 is.. any chance of getting it removed temporarily?  If you can all you need is a good 422 that shows no ALC then throw it back on there after the fact.  I've seen people already medically cleared by the ANG and still not able to PC because of the ALC.. 

• 1 month later...
On April 22, 2016 at 11:21 PM, Chicken said:

If you can all you need is a good 422 that shows no ALC then throw it back on there after the fact.  I've seen people already medically cleared by the ANG and still not able to PC because of the ALC.. 

Would a doc let you pull off something like this?

So I read through all 34 pages, and in one of the posts, I saw someone say that leave was not transferrable.  Does this include if you PC to an AGR position? (yes, I know, rare)

If so, can you be on AD terminal leave when you start to work at your AGR position?  

So I read through all 34 pages, and in one of the posts, I saw someone say that leave was not transferrable.  Does this include if you PC to an AGR position? (yes, I know, rare)

If so, can you be on AD terminal leave when you start to work at your AGR position?  

Leave transfers (I'm doing it now). Two of my bros took 60+ days to the AKANG and I'm taking roughly 30. The key is ensuring no break in service (I.e my DOS from AD is 15 June, I swear into the Guard 16 June). If you have a break in service then it makes it significantly more difficult, not impossible, to transfer your leave.

The real question, that I couldn't get an answer to and didn't press to test, was could you sell leave when you leave Active Duty and then again when you retire from the ANG. My gut tells me no but who knows.

Another leave question that I never got answered was how do you reconcile terminal leave with travel days. For example, I get 11 travel days from Oklahoma to Alaska. I want to swear in, in person at my new unit, to ensure no break in service so I travel while I'm still on AD orders. The Guard said I was good to press 11 days before my swear in date but AD said I needed to be on terminal leave during that time. Based on the short timeframe between deployment RTB and terminal leave start I elected to just take the leave and try to recoup it once I'm in the Guard. If not I'm still on a 30 day vacation traveling across the country.

I don't think you can start your AGR orders until your DOS from AD but I never asked the question.

So, here are a couple of questions that I have concerning palace chase and even palace front.  Does anyone know with the new retirement system how a reserve or guard retirement would work?  Still grandfathered in or do you lose that if you palace chase or front?  Also, can you transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to dependents after you move over to the reserve?  Still a 4 year commitment? Lastly, what above PCSing etc?  I understand that if you separate from the AF the government will pay to move you back to your home of record?  What if you aren't moving to your home of record but it's a shorter distance?  Does this apply still if you palace chase/front?  Any other big gotchas that people have seen making the transition that we need to watch out for?

So, here are a couple of questions that I have concerning palace chase and even palace front.  Does anyone know with the new retirement system how a reserve or guard retirement would work?  Still grandfathered in or do you lose that if you palace chase or front?  Also, can you transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to dependents after you move over to the reserve?  Still a 4 year commitment? Lastly, what above PCSing etc?  I understand that if you separate from the AF the government will pay to move you back to your home of record?  What if you aren't moving to your home of record but it's a shorter distance?  Does this apply still if you palace chase/front?  Any other big gotchas that people have seen making the transition that we need to watch out for?

I'm PC to an AGR slot and my retirement transfers and will be the exact same as it was on active duty.

You can absolutely transfer your Post 9-11 GI Bill in the Guard. Not sure about the reserves. I'm serving out the last of my 4 year commitment in the Guard. If you look up the Palace Chase reg there is a section about transferring your commitment to the Reserve/ANG.

AD will only move you to your home of record (HOR) on your separation orders. I worked with my ANG HR office to generate my AGR orders and then used those for my DPS move. One thing to note is that if you start your move with your separation orders you can't swap to your AGR orders so you have to start over. So I waited until I had my AGR orders.

I'm literally in the middle of doing this (AD PC to AGR) and between Oklahoma and Alaska (in Washington State to see family). If you have any other questions let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about PTDY to interview with an ANG or Reserve unit:  AFI 36-3003 used to have an explicit provision for commanders to authorize up to 7 days PTDY to interview for a Guard or Reserve gig, Table 7 Rule 19.  The updated AFI, dated 11 May 16, only has a note in Table 4.5, rule 7 that refers you to the Palace Chase/Front AFI 36-2905.  Question is, can my commander authorize the PTDY even if I haven't submitted a PC application yet?  I figured I would have to get hired by a unit before I could even worry about submitting the PC application.  Any previous experience would be greatly appreciated. 

Bluedevil, can't answer the first question but I can give everyone a data point for Palace Chase.

Had an 11B guy in my squadron get turned down inside of 1 year from the end of his UPT ADSC. He did not have a hire letter though.

Duck, thanks for the insight. I'm a non-rated line officer, just under a year out on my initial ADSC. I'm applying for rated new commission gigs as the on ramp for UPT. Essentially, I'll be right back on Title 10 to go to UPT so I would think it should be an easy kill for approval of the PC app.

• Upvote 1

That sounds pretty reasonable. Not sure about the 7 days but I can ask my buddy who is suffering as the Wing Exec on Monday.

Question about the application. I know you can't currently be on a profile when you apply. What if you had exemptions on your last PFT due to a profile though? Passed, but the profile is now clear (knee surgery and recovery). Any experience?