Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

Look Here for basic info on the Old manning document, some people are still eligible based on their particular AFSC.

Check the Officer Sustainment Matrix 4-5 links down. If AFSC+year group is blue, you can apply. White or red and they are not currently considering applications, but they will put them aside in case that changes. No word yet on the new document, probably on some generals desk waiting to be signed.

Q

Look Here for basic info on the Old manning document, some people are still eligible based on their particular AFSC.

Check the Officer Sustainment Matrix 4-5 links down. If AFSC+year group is blue, you can apply. White or red and they are not currently considering applications, but they will put them aside in case that changes. No word yet on the new document, probably on some generals desk waiting to be signed.

Q

You can apply for PC all you want.People have been released under the PC program with recommendation of dissaprove from AFPC. Its the SECAF office of personnel that makes the decision.

I got Palace chased this past June for a release in Oct. I asked for 6 months and they said no. So I asked for 2 and a half months and they said yes. Your application will be routed through your SQ/CC then your WG/CC then AFPC and then off to the secaf panel. AFPC can say no all they want, they arent the final approval authority.Maybe this has changed in the last 6 months

I was an active duty nav that went ANG and am currently waiting on UPT dates.

To be clear, I was only talking about applying for PC with respect to the 2010 Manning Document, which makes more people eligible depending on your circumstances (i.e. taking tuition assitance). Palace Chase with its normal requirements is still available for anyone who wants to apply and is elligible.

They seem to be a little more willing to let you go if you are going to UPT or other specialized training. But it should get easier since the Air Force still needs to cut about 2K officers + 1K enlisted by September. With the slow economy, not many people took the chance to get out in the overmanned areas.

• 4 weeks later...

I just interviewed with an ANG F-16 unit, they brought up the palace chase option. They told me that the AD AF would only think about a 12 month palace chase and they have 3 dudes in the unit that just did it, and if they hired me I would be put in contact with the successful palace chasers. This September is the start of my 12 month window, here's hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

My Palace Chase paperwork just got approved to go to UPT for the ANG. That is two years off my commitment. The Air Force is looking to shed officers. Timing is everything. Good luck to all.

My Palace Chase paperwork just got approved to go to UPT for the ANG. That is two years off my commitment. The Air Force is looking to shed officers. Timing is everything. Good luck to all.

What is your background? Alot of us are pilots already looking for palace chase.

62E is my current AFSC. But I talked to several pilots who are trying to do it now, or had already PC'ed.

If you want to know the real story on what they are accepting these days, call the Palace Chase Office DSN 665-3758. Ask for the SMSgt in charge of Officer applications. She can tell you what the real status is and what is going on.

Good luck.

Edited by Q36

62E is my current AFSC. But I talked to several pilots who are trying to do it now, or had already PC'ed.

If you want to know the real story on what they are accepting these days, call the Palace Chase Office DSN 665-3758. Ask for the SMSgt in charge of Officer applications. She can tell you what the real status is and what is going on.

Good luck.

I believe about 50% of what comes out of AFPC.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Laubage

Hey guys,

I've been reading through these threads about palace chasing and just looking for some info on where to start. I know everyone recommends finding a AFRC or ANG unit to take them, but what are the first steps I should take with this. Do I just show up at the unit and look for someone to orient me, or do I call and set up an appointment? Is there anything I should have completed before contacting a unit (ie resume, palace chasing application, a written plea to hire me)? Who do I talk to? Just looking for some general guidance on my first steps.

I am an MWS pilot with 1.5 years of his pilot training commitment done and 3 years of AD service. Thanks for the help!

Guest gregz19

First things first- go talk to your commander and fill him/her in on what you want to do. With his/her consent, start calling the unit to talk to someone in the position you want. Ask alot of (intelligent) questions! Do your research. Put in your (reviewed and proofread) application, follow up that they received it.

1.5 years in MWS isn't alot of time/experience, so keep that in mind. That being said, I just got accepted to a Guard unit with 2.5 years on station as a rated nav.

• 2 weeks later...

About time for me to put the Palace Chase topic back at the top of the forum list, any takers lately? I'd imagine the new force structure would help somebody trying to PC. Then again I am a 11FXX, tough to get away from an AD AFSC like that.

I'm working the process right now. There isn't a whole lot of guidance out there- everything is now done through vMPF, so good luck finding help! My MPF straight up told me they don't have a person to help. I'd look to your future Guard unit for assistance...ie, how the hell do you fill out the 1288? What goes in the justification memo you have to attach to the online application? What does the standard one look like?

Let's build some gouge guys. If you have 1288's, 780's, and memos that have been approved, I'd love to see 'em!

I have most of that stuff at work, i will try to remember to grab it. But I can tell you filling out all of it was much more simple than it looked.

1288, you fill out the front. Keep it simple and fill in what you can, I left everything else blank and they took it no problem. The 1st Endorsement is filled out by your Wing commander, but now that is done electronically (vMPF) for AFPC, but the guard bureau still needs a paper copy. So send both up. The 2nd Endorsement is filled out by your guard unit, 3rd by the In Service Recruiter (ISR). I had to send mine across the country by scanning it a couple of times, so make sure your scanner has a high quality setting or you won't be able to use it by the end.

780 I believe is done completely online on vMPF. The memo was just something I wrote with no gouge saying why it would be better for the Air Force and me if I went to the guard. Note that all of my stuff was for a 62E Engineer going to UPT for the guard.

I didn't even bother starting on my paperwork till I found a guard unit that wanted me. And my experience with two ISRs was that they work about 1 day a week (they are supposedly AD and not Guard/Reserve) and have no idea what there job entails. I did all of my paperwork myself, so ask if you have any questions, I might know the answer.

Good Luck!

• 4 months later...

PCers,

I'm looking into PCing a few months early for an ANG pilot slot and I have one big question. Does anybody know the current policy on recoupment of scholarship money?

I was on a scholarship through ROTC and signed up for 4 years in exchange. I have served 3 years and 2 months. The reg and PC office say I could be on the hook for some of that money if I PC. They also say it _could_ be waived. The fun part is, I won't find out if or how much I owe until the paperwork goes through, so it sounds like a roll of the dice.

Based on my time in and how long it takes to PC, I would only be able to shave 4 months off of my ADSC. By my own estimates, that could cost as much as $6000, not worth it for four months unless it's a deal breaker with my future ANG unit.

Under the Expanded PC, recoupment was waived. There is currently no Expanded PC program (application date for the last round was 31 July, I think).

For those that have PCed recently under regular PC rules, have you had to pay back any money to big blue?

Thanks in advance.

Guest FlighHy

For recent PC applicants from Active Duty: What has the turnaround time been like at AFPC for your apps? I understand we should allow 8 weeks for apps to process, but since we submit via vMPF now, have you been seeing faster? Im dropping an app this week to separate in late Dec.

Edited by FlighHy

The word is that the KC-135 community is overmanned when it comes to co-pilots, but undermanned when it comes to Weapons guys (usually they take somewhere around 12 a year, last year only 3 or so volunteered). No clue about ACs and IPs. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

• Upvote 1

Any KC-135 pilots try this lately, as in the last 6 months or so? I heard legit-ish rumors, as legit as rumors get, of 50-100 tanker guys getting cut, but my guess is that means getting moved into UAVs, not released.

That really sucks for the tanker world. The line guys are deploying their asses off...so let's cut 50-100 of them. I can't figure out how in the past 20 years the USAF still hasn't figured out how to get the average TDY rate below 150 days per year - which is well above the goal of "below 120" that upper management has been touting for decades. HINT: cutting pilots isn't the answer!

YGBSM.