Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

On 8/15/2019 at 4:14 PM, Pretty_Darn_Good said:

Bogey, similar situation for my PC approval albeit I asked for 15 months of GI Bill TEB ended up being 13 by the time I got approval and 2 months UPT. I had approvals at Sq and Wg level but disapproval’s at AFPC functional level for similar reasons as you. AFPC from what I’ve seen/heard is going with blanket disapproval’s for any ADSC over 6 months based on HAF/A3 guidance that no one can produce.

What was the AFPC Div Chief recommendation (last step before going to SAF PC)?

AFPC’s review is myopic in that they just look at active duty manning etc. and don’t consider the total force. That’s the job of the SAF PC board to look at Total Force implications. Being that GI TEB is transferable into the guard and if you hadn’t transferred or could revoke it (you can’t, I tried) you could do it again day one in the Guard I would hope if that is your only ADSC they’ll green light you.

Best of luck and let us know how it shakes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the data...13 months is the best I've heard of and it gives me a bit of hope.  AFPC Div Chief recommendation for denial was the standard "In line w/ HAF/A3 guidance..."  Hoping the needs of the Guard get sufficient weight on the board.  Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
Congrats! Interesting that you had disapproval’s, I thought inside of 6 was a sure thing. 
I'm at an FTU and had a Wing CC at the time that blanket disapproved PC apps. AFPC took that to mean me departing would hurt pilot production even though my unit is technically overmanned. Basically one Wg/CC influenced the whole chain. Either way, good to know SAF/PC truly cares about your impact to the Total Force and made the right decision here (I may be a little biased).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Baseops Network mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I took PTDY according to Rule 2 of the table in the leave AFI. The wording is weird because it doesn’t seem to address a member who is Palace Chasing. But if someone who is being involuntarily separated “for cause” can get PTDY, I figured I was entitled. I took some for house hunting, then added the additional to my terminal leave.

You can also take up to 7 days each time you travel to interview with a guard/reserve unit. That is spelled out in the PC AFI.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2019 at 7:45 PM, MooseAg03 said:

I took PTDY according to Rule 2 of the table in the leave AFI. The wording is weird because it doesn’t seem to address a member who is Palace Chasing. But if someone who is being involuntarily separated “for cause” can get PTDY, I figured I was entitled. I took some for house hunting, then added the additional to my terminal leave.

You can also take up to 7 days each time you travel to interview with a guard/reserve unit. That is spelled out in the PC AFI.

Hey MooseAg03, do you have a reference for this?  I was denied “house hunting” by my commander, but I’ve heard of several guys using the 20 days that’s sighted in Rule 2.  Didn’t know if you had a good reference I could use to get that time?

Also, I’m able to palace front on 30 Jul 20, and I have a PC package in for 3 Feb 20, which is currently at SAF after my functional recommended disapproval.  I’m already closing on a house near my guard unit Next month and want to move my family up then.  Obviously I won’t have approval or orders by then to start the TMO process.  Since I’m within a year from actual separation and served more than 8 years, can I move them now without orders or PC approval?  How do I start that process?  

Hey MooseAg03, do you have a reference for this?  I was denied “house hunting” by my commander, but I’ve heard of several guys using the 20 days that’s sighted in Rule 2.  Didn’t know if you had a good reference I could use to get that time?

Also, I’m able to palace front on 30 Jul 20, and I have a PC package in for 3 Feb 20, which is currently at SAF after my functional recommended disapproval.  I’m already closing on a house near my guard unit Next month and want to move my family up then.  Obviously I won’t have approval or orders by then to start the TMO process.  Since I’m within a year from actual separation and served more than 8 years, can I move them now without orders or PC approval?  How do I start that process?  
For the PCS, I see a potential Catch 22. TMO has to have orders, to have orders you have to have a DOS. You cant establish a DOS because you have a PC app in. So, my guess would be no without some serious reg digging.

The only reg I cited was the leave reg. Both Finance and my SQ/CC had no issue with me using the 20 days. I think it’s kind of a norm like how you are given your house hunting after signing in while PCSing even if you have a place already (happened at every base I was stationed).

As for the moving early, that would be on your dime completely. TMO won’t do anything without orders, and even weight tickets that pre-date your briefing won’t be paid. If there’s family close by you could move just them with bare essentials to stay with family until you can get HHGs shipped. We paid double mortgage for a month because we had to close prior to being able to move. The house sat empty for 5 weeks before we moved in.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering "rolling the dice" and asking for 12 months off my UPT ADSC. I've heard some examples of folks asking for 12 months off their UPT ADSC and the response they receive is "No, but we'll give you 6 months off..." I know that many have tried this and been denied, but I'm just curious if there is anything I'm not considering that could be harmful by attempting this. Bottom line, what do I actually have to lose? 

• 1 month later...

11F, WIC Instructor, trying to PC 10 months off my GI Bill Transfer ADSC and 8 months off my UPT ADSC (I transferred my GI bill late to my wife which is why my GI Bill Transfer ADSC is 2 months after my UPT ADSC). 

I got approvals from Squadron and WG leadership. Found out today my request was disapproved by my functional. Apparently now it goes to SAFPC for their approval/denial? 

I've heard anything greater than 6 months gets denied. Thought I'd try for 10 anyway and see what happens.....We'll see if SAFPC approves it miraculously. Hoping they will atleast give me a "No, but you're approved for 6 months". 

• Upvote 1

Well, miracles do happen.  SAF/PC denied my request to transfer 30 months of my ADSC for transfer of GI Bill benefits, but they counter-offered 24 months approval.  Luckily my hiring unit is awesome and is willing to wait the extra 6 months for me.  Had Sq/CC and Wg/CC support from the start, and was hired into an AGR billet at a "deployed-in-place" unit with a 24/7 mission, all of which helped my case (or so I assume).  From the time I clicked the button to the time I was notified of approval was 210 days!  Best part is that nearly 4 months of that time was AFPC waiting to realize that it was going to auto apply their "6 month rule" and deny.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

According to my in-service recruiter, AD is something like 13K above end strength and AFRC is apparently lower than they were expecting for numbers.  She said there is a new found push for palace chase approvals. Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Also, how does the whole pilot crisis factor in?  FWIW I'm an AETC IP...are they going to laugh at me when I submit a 12-month request?

UPT IP

was told today WG/CC will recommend disapprove 6 months PC packet. 

what happens after that? Does it still route up to AFPC?

secondly....hot for a 6 month deployment this June- December. UPT ADSC is expired this December. 

can I 7 day opt that? Other options?

UPT IP

Yes, I believe I have similar panic posts earlier in this thread. I had recommend disapproval all the way up the chain and still got approved by SAF/PC. No need to panic... yet.

• Like 1

Re: 13K over end strength. Last numbers I saw were at the end of FY19 citing our end of FY18 stats. So this data’s a year old, but it showed that the total force is short roughly 2K pilots out of a required 21K. If you exclude the ARC and look just at AD, we were apparently 1.8K short on CGOs and 1K over on FGOs for a total of 807 AD pilots short. Not sure I believe those numbers, but that’s what’s on the slide. Obviously that also implies that the ARC is about 1.2K shy.

Bashi, same thing here as above. The last PC app we sent up got disapprovals all the way up to the PC office, and still ultimately got approved for 6 months off. I think your odds are still good.

• Like 2

UPT IP

secondly....hot for a 6 month deployment this June- December. UPT ADSC is expired this December. 

can I 7 day opt that? Other options?

You can’t 7 day opt a 180. However, having a PC application already pending may deflect it to someone else in the Ops Group. In the MAF, the 180s were handed down by the OG. If you get approved while on said deployment, they would have to task someone else.

AFI 36-3205 has a restriction against sending applicants TDY without coordinating with AFPC/DPSOS (1.4.13), however it does not apply to aircrew members. I’m not sure if that would include 180 day ground deployments. My belief is that is to allow a crew member to be sent on short term missions while awaiting application (makes sense). However, you can bet someone will use that to their advantage and still try to send you on a deployment.

• Like 1

great info thanks!

can i set an official date of seperation (end of my ADSC this december)? Would that even do anything?

not against deploying, but def against deploying for a non flying gig to be a power point useless ranger.

That’s probably your best shot. If I recall, the reg says they have to have you home around 30-60 days before your final out (don’t quote me). I would stockpile leave and also use terminal leave to fence you in even more. I believe you can apply for separation up to 1 year out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1