Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

I'm guessing the GI Bill is because it is really a service commitment. Reserves, Guard, AD are all eligible. If you're worried about the 4 years after signing, separate and transfer once in the Guard or Reserves.

I had 5 months off my PCS ADSC approved. I'm not in my career field but am going back so they are, "unexpectedly happy to have me back." -verbiage from the functional." Only about 48 days from submittal to initial notification. Just finishing up the 1288 details from my Reserve Unit.

Good luck everyone!

Anyone with experience of getting a mortgage approved during transition PM please.

Anyone know if you are eligible for 20 days PTDY when separating from active duty for Palace Chase? AFI36-3003 Table 4.5 seems to read as though you do, however, the recruiter I am working with said I would not be allowed those days. Anyone have experience taking these 20 days?

That table specifies voluntary separation incentive separatee (think VSP or other incentivized RIF programs), so no for PC we are not authorized PTDY. I think part of the documentation for PC includes signing a statement that acknowledges that we are not able to receive PTDY.

3 hours ago, baller06 said:

That table specifies voluntary separation incentive separatee (think VSP or other incentivized RIF programs), so no for PC we are not authorized PTDY. I think part of the documentation for PC includes signing a statement that acknowledges that we are not able to receive PTDY.

OK thanks for the clarification!

So since shit is starting to get real with my palace chase, I could really use some advice from those that have made this transition. What are some things you wish you would have done differently?

Sell leave?

TRICARE coverage?

Moving out from base housing and not being charged extra?

Thanks in advance!

1. Sign up for TAPS immediately (via AF&RC) - you can get it done at any point within a year of DOS and I promise you there's no way you can get out of it (I tried). Those classes fill up quick and I know several dudes who got hosed out of significant amounts of terminal leave because they could only get into a TAPS class that was a few weeks out from their DOS.  This situation can also jack up your moving plans.  Just ride the pain train now and be done with it.

2. Take as much leave during terminal as you can - I took 60, sold the rest back...wish I had taken the rest and not sold it back.  Two months off over summer with the wife and kids was the best two months I've had since joining the AF. I was fresh and ready to go when I started working in the guard instead of jumping right into it.

3. You get 180 days of TAMP starting on your separation date, so no need to look into healthcare right now.  When you're about 2-3 weeks out from TAMP ending, seek healthcare (unless you're going AGR, then nothing changes regarding Tricare).  Cost depends on how much your employer subsidizes, but I pay ~$400/mo for my family right now.

4. You'll only get reimbursed for your move at cost of the government moving you from current base to HOR.  For me it was N/A since the distance was almost equal, but it could really suck if you're moving 1500 miles, but your HOR is only 250 miles from your current base.  It is possible to change your HOR - keep this in mind and act now if required.

5. Finances (mostly assumes you're not going AGR):

- Plus up the savings account if you haven't already - moving, buying a house, potentially making less than you do now for a period of time, etc. are all expensive.  If you plan now and save, you'll have way less financial stress.

- Do whatever you can to have no debt when you transition - ideally the only debt you have is a mortgage. The importance of these first two are variable depending on what type of position you're going into (AGR vs. temp technician vs. full time technician w/ higher step+bonus vs. DSG+1st year airline pay, etc.)

- Take some time to do a realistic budget. It is quite a shock to see how much you get taken in taxes when you don't have non-taxable income, BAH, etc. It's not terrible if you've planned accordingly, but you could be in for some serious financial stress if you don't plan ahead.  The finances will normalize after a few months generally and you'll get past the initial stumbles of figuring financial life out without AD paychecks 1st and 15th.

6. Medical - You need to get copies of your medical record (both flight med and the regular records people). Standard shit of "that'll take 69 weeks"...so get on it now.  Can't remember what you need to initiate it, but start it as soon as you can. I almost got delayed because I apparently hadn't done my 100th "do you feel like killing yourself" meetings after the last deployment - make sure you don't have any surprises like that coming up.

7. VA Claims - If you are not going to make a VA disability claim, then you do NOT have to go see the VA person.  My last base made it seem like it was mandatory regardless and I got the standard "I have an appointment in 3 months"...fuck off, I'm not taking an appointment that's 1.5 weeks prior to my DOS. I didn't do a VA assessment for disability, so saved myself there. Plus, you can always go to a VA clinic at a later point post-separation and do the same thing.

8. Standard out processing shit...get the list done ASAP. I've blown off many lists throughout several PCS; what are they going to do, stop me from going to my next base? Well, that works fine when you're staying on AD, not so much when you want to GTFO and put AD behind you. This is the one time to not fuck with it - get it done so there are zero problems with your outprocessing appointment - walking out of that office into the parking lot was one of the best days of my life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

^ This needs its own thread!  Very comprehensive and sound advice. 

Like he said, wipe out the debt and plus up the savings account. It takes a few paychecks into your second year at an airline before you start to feel comfortable again. 

Oh yeah, and fuck TAPS.  I’m an adult. Let me opt out. 

5 hours ago, brabus said:

1. Sign up for TAPS immediately (via AF&RC) - you can get it done at any point within a year of DOS and I promise you there's no way you can get out of it (I tried). Those classes fill up quick and I know several dudes who got hosed out of significant amounts of terminal leave because they could only get into a TAPS class that was a few weeks out from their DOS.  This situation can also jack up your moving plans.  Just ride the pain train now and be done with it.

Heard that you can get out of TAPS if you have proof of employment following AD- even had a friend get hired by a regional and use that to get out of it.  What about the fact that you’ve got a reserve job by virtue of the Palace Chase?  Good enough to skip this BS?

Heard that you can get out of TAPS if you have proof of employment following AD- even had a friend get hired by a regional and use that to get out of it.  What about the fact that you’ve got a reserve job by virtue of the Palace Chase?  Good enough to skip this BS?
It depends on your separation counselor that you get assigned at the A&FRC. The verbiage for the DOL Workshop (days 2-4) exemption is "Full time" employment. Mine accepted my Intent to Hire letter from my Reserve unit. The counselor is the one that signs off on your TAP completion paperwork.

4 hours ago, Karl Hungus said:

Partially - if you have proof of full time employment (an intent-to-hire letter from your future CC suffices), you can skip day 2-5.  You still have to suffer through the first day and you still have to have a meeting with a separations counselor, which should only take about 20 min if you have all your paperwork in order.  That meeting is something that is signed off on your outprocessing checklist - can't scoff it.

Valid, BUT note the "through the secretariat process" comment.  What that means is you must write a memo to SAF requesting you receive full "normal" PCS entitlements and explain your reasoning (i.e. why this is better for the AF, because SAF doesn't give a shit about your personal problems); this memo will have to be SSS'd (most likely unless your wing really doesn't give a shit, but it's AD, so....) from your SQ/CC all the way through the wickets.  

I've been down this road (for a different reason) before; it ultimately worked out in my favor, but it was a massive PITA and something I never wanted to do again. So, keep in mind whether the asspain is really worth it.  In my final PCS case it was not because all I really missed out on was DLA, and DLA was not worth the headache. I've heard changing HOR is much easier than going down the SAF path, but haven't done it myself.

Edited by brabus

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all previous posters for the great information. Up front...I'm very ignorant regarding Palace Chase and the Guard (sorry if this would fit better in another thread). I'm an active duty '09 Captain T-1 UPT graduate who has been flying MQ-9s for about 7.5 years now (obviously non-current other than some GA flying). Due to a number of factors, over the last month I've been heavily considering departing active duty and pursuing a career flying both in the Guard and as an airline pilot (regional to major when I'm able). I've loved serving and the mission (yes, even the MQ-9), but I'm ready for a new chapter where I have some more choices that will let me place my family higher on the priority list. I have exactly 2.5 years left on my ADSC (UPT) which ends October of 2020. Here are some big questions I'd appreciate any insight or advice with:

1) How feasible is it for me to actually be hired and PC with around 6 months ADSC remaining at a mobility or tanker unit? I've got around 300 hours TT right now (I'm going to be pursuing a CFI/CFII and trying to boost my time over the next 2 years)? Is my limited experience with real flying going to rule me out, does having a solid active duty record count for anything, and/or will the unit mostly be checking out if I'm a good dude that fits into the unit for the next 5-10 years?

2) With 2.5 years ADSC right now, when is the right time to start reaching out to units and actually coordinating PC qweep? My plan is to come up with a list of cities my family is down for moving to that has a Guard unit as well as at least one regional/major hub.

3) I'm on my third VML right now with orders likely dropping this October. I'm pretty sure I'll have a 7-day option based on the 2 year CONUS ADSC...I'm thinking it would be better to get my SQ/CC, OG/CC, and WG/CC on my side for approval with the PC rather than blind siding them with the 7-day option (right now they have no idea I'm even considering this). On the other hand, Alamogordo and the MQ-9 FTU are less than thrilling. Part of me thinks a change of scenery with a likely staff gig (DC, Langley, or San Antonio) could be a nice change for my last two years. Would this be miserable with the above considerations in mind and would it impact my chances of the PC being approved (or maybe help since I'm non-current as an IP/EP)?

4) If I was able to get hired, would I roll right into an FTU/RTU as a UPT grad? If hired as a traditional guardsmen, I'd assume there would be a seasoning period after earning a qual? What would a likely/average ADSC equivalent look like in the guard after finishing training before you could leave the unit or move to a new one?

5) After seasoning, if hired by a regional....would the guard unit provide some flexible time off or would the regional training program respect your mil leave requirements?

Thanks in advance for advice/thoughts/spears. A whole new world of service/career/family/QOL opportunities is opening and I'm pretty excited (I went through a month period that kind of felt like emotionally divorcing the Air Force). Cheers! :beer:

1. I would say very feasible if you are a good dude. A good AD record will help get your foot in the door at some units, but you will have to visit and start hanging out during drill weekends to get them to take a chance on you.

2. Right now is the time. You can put your PC app in 1 year out from your requested date of sep, so you really have 1 year to find a sponsor. Start calling now and figuring out who is receptive to your situation, no sense in wasting time pursuing a unit that will not take someone who hasn’t been qualified in their MWS.

3. Going Staff isn’t going to help you, but it’s not going to hurt either in my opinion. Is transferring to an AMC asset out of the question? If you could leave ASAP it might only extend your ADSC a little bit and you could still PC off the last 6 months. At least then you would be current. That would pretty much make hiring you somewhere a slam dunk.

4. I know guys who went from RPAs to another MWS on AD go through a refresher of sorts in the T-1/T-38, I would anticipate you needing this, but that’s just my assumption. Anyone seen what ANG/ARC does with this situation?

5. Yes. After seasoning you are free to pursue your regional training. The regional, by law, has to respect your ANG job up to 5 total years of mil leave.

I would get started ASAP. Start calling units and see who seems more receptive to you. At least you are a UPT grad, but you would still require a lot of training before you became a productive member of the unit. This is going to come down to whichever unit needs people and is willing to take the chance. Best of luck.

3 hours ago, Duck said:

1. I would say very feasible if you are a good dude. A good AD record will help get your foot in the door at some units, but you will have to visit and start hanging out during drill weekends to get them to take a chance on you.

2. Right now is the time. You can put your PC app in 1 year out from your requested date of sep, so you really have 1 year to find a sponsor. Start calling now and figuring out who is receptive to your situation, no sense in wasting time pursuing a unit that will not take someone who hasn’t been qualified in their MWS.

3. Going Staff isn’t going to help you, but it’s not going to hurt either in my opinion. Is transferring to an AMC asset out of the question? If you could leave ASAP it might only extend your ADSC a little bit and you could still PC off the last 6 months. At least then you would be current. That would pretty much make hiring you somewhere a slam dunk.

4. I know guys who went from RPAs to another MWS on AD go through a refresher of sorts in the T-1/T-38, I would anticipate you needing this, but that’s just my assumption. Anyone seen what ANG/ARC does with this situation?

5. Yes. After seasoning you are free to pursue your regional training. The regional, by law, has to respect your ANG job up to 5 total years of mil leave.

I would get started ASAP. Start calling units and see who seems more receptive to you. At least you are a UPT grad, but you would still require a lot of training before you became a productive member of the unit. This is going to come down to whichever unit needs people and is willing to take the chance. Best of luck.

Duck, great information man. I re-categorized as an 18A (RPA dude) a few years ago, and I don't think AFPC would let me go. The AMC & RPA functionals have a pissing match going on right now fighting over AMC RPA guys who didn't recat but have been gone for 5-6+ years. I've got a lot of planning/work to do, but thanks again for the reply bro.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a recent timeline for Scroll approval? My ISR sent the paperwork up in December and it has been at HAF since January. AFPC is ready to do the final approval for my PC, but can't until I am Scroll approved. I know you try and give 6 months for the process, but HAF sitting on it since January seems a bit much. Any ideas?

K11F3H requested 6 months 15Nov approved yesterday for a 09May separation

Does anyone have experience pushing the DOS back? I’m working with the PC folks to try to get pushed back to 09 July. I’m pretty sure I won’t go from scratch to separation overseas in 19 days....

• Like 1