Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

Huey,

I'm in a similar position as my CC found out I was being courted by a Guard unit and assigned my name to deployment slot. The deployment is over 6 months out and my planned date off AD would be prior to that. Any idea if this rule still applies in my situation?

You would be good, but he's forcing your hand. You cannot be deployed something like 2 months before a separation date, sign the paperwork quick! In his defense, he may be putting your name against the slot knowing you are leaving, then can turn it back unfilled therefore not sending anyone from your unit.

I had a similar situation where I was deployed, applied for palace chase while deployed, and was scheduled to deploy again 3 days before my separation date. I don't believe it was punitive in my case. I repeatedly told my commander and DO to get a back up ready since I was certain it would be approved, but the CC marked disapproved and thought that mattered so they did not.

Long story short, it got approved, someone got screwed about 3 weeks prior and blamed me for baling on the team, and out of guilt (weakness?) I took a voluntary one with my old unit two months later.

Ok, figured I'd kick my situation out to the forum and see what y'all think...

From the talking to fellow pilots/AFPC Functional and reading this forum, it seems that chances are pretty good for Palace Chase approval if you're within a year of your furthest ADSC. Well, my furthest ADSC the GI Bill transfer, thus my Palace Chase DOS request will be about 6 months prior to the expiration of my UPT ADSC but 14 months prior to the expiration of my GI Bill ADSC. However, I've also read that you can serve the remainder of the GI Bill transfer ADSC with Guard/Reserve service, so my question is does anyone know what the Palace Chase powers-that-be stance is on this? Anyone been in the same boat and got approved?

My functional told me point blank if you have over one year remaining on ANY ADSC he will non-concur, but since AFPC's input is only a recommendation to the SECAF, who cares. I just don't know if SECAF will see my application as wanting out 14 months early or 6 months early.

I don't know why people transfer their GI Bill benefits (while it still exists) while they're on AD. Why not just wait until you separate then transfer once you're in the ARC?

Anyway... doesn't hurt to try. I've seen up to 24 months waived, with non-concurrence all the way up the chain. SAF didn't give a shit what the SQ/CC, OG/CC, WG/CC, and AFPC functional thought.

Good luck.

I don't know why people transfer their GI Bill benefits (while it still exists) while they're on AD. Why not just wait until you separate then transfer once you're in the ARC?

This is the best GI Bill advice out there. Wish I'd known it was an option but bad on me for not checking first. Then again, some guys (me) aren't planning to jump ship when they sign up and then discover they wish they could. I implore everyone to spread the word to hold off on the transfer if guys have ANY thoughts of going ARC.

This is the best GI Bill advice out there. Wish I'd known it was an option but bad on me for not checking first. Then again, some guys (me) aren't planning to jump ship when they sign up and then discover they wish they could. I implore everyone to spread the word to hold off on the transfer if guys have ANY thoughts of going ARC.

It depends. If you're a pilot, you've got what is essentially a 11 or 12 year commitment depending upon how long you sat casual. So if you transfer benefits as soon as you're eligible (6 year mark), the threat of getting stuck because of a 2 year ADSC running concurrently with the remaining 5-6 years of your UPT ADSC is probably low. At this point in a pilot's career (5-6 year mark), you're probably looking at a PCS, which incurs a ... 2 year ADSC. So if you're getting stuck with that anyway at approximately the same time you're first eligible to TEB. There's your case for transferring as early as possible.

Maybe some confusion here...just to be clear, the Post-9/11 GI Bill TEB will net you a 4 year concurrent commitment and must be taken after having already served 6 years. Taking TA will net you the 2 year concurrent commitment. So the risk of "getting caught" after having done TEB is 4 years, not 2.

So for younger pilots especially, yea, doing the TEB right at your 6 year point is no-risk since your commitment is already 10 years from when you got winged. It's the older dudes who have already put in 10+ and who are at the end of or beyond their initial UPT commitment, you get saddled with a 4 year debt to Uncle Sam starting the day you transfer.

Same logic goes for TA (when it existed...), it's no-risk so long as you have more than 2 years on your longest commitment.

Edited by nsplayr

Looking for guidance...

I'm an looking at Palace Chase as a future opportunity to fly in the Guard. I'm 24, LT, with new 6 yr ADSC. Here's what I'm tracking on...

-PC will be possible after 2/3 of ADSC, but difficult in my highly undermanned careerfield.

-5 years of commissioned service (spent 2 years in training) and age will be challenges as I get closer to 30.

-I once declined to attend AD UPT in ROTC to pursue my current job, and as per the 36-2205:

1. Those eliminated for military deficiency or self-initiated elimination (SIE) reasons before,
during or after actual course completion, or
who decline UFT attendance, are
ineligible for further flying training.

Possible nail in the coffin?

Future family considerations and personal reasons have reaffirmed my desire to join the flying community. I have done my best to search for similiar posts / situations on this board, but haven't found much to go off of. Looking for guidance, thanks.

Thanks!

Edited by cro27
persco

I said this in the other string of comments about TEB and an ADSC....read the fine print on the ADSC. It states that a transfer incurs a 4 year service commitment in either the regular military OR the selective reserve (ie any normal active reservist). If anyone tells you that you must stay on active duty because of TEB they are WRONG. The Guard/Reserve ADSC for TEB reads just like my RegAF ADSC did. The only ADSCs that matter with regard to Palace Chase are UPT, advanced flying training (for some) or initial service commitments.

TEB ADSCs only matter if you're trying to completely separate from the military entirely. Palace Chase requires service in the selective reserves and thus meets the requirement for continuing to fulfill your ADSC.

Just because someone works at AFPC or is otherwise in a position of authority doesn't necessarily mean the know the rules 100%. I had to remind AFPC people of their own rules on occasion when I PC'd. Know the rules. Know your rights.

Looking for guidance...

-te

Your biggest hurdle will be the fact you're in a low density high demand AFSC, and still owe a number of years. As for the declining UPT thing, it depends on if you declined it as a ROTC cadet and never received orders, or were you on your way to UPT and decided "no thanks, I want another career field". If the AFPC system only knows you as a CRO and they have no record of you telling your PAS "no thanks boss I wanna be a CRO, not a pilot" then I think you're ok. If there's nothing in writing saying you turned down a UPT slot for a CRO slot, don't worry about it. It never existed in the minds of AFPC staffers.

I know the USAF has always hurt for CROs so good luck. You can always apply, but realize once you do, you're showing your cards. Good leadership will support you as long as you still work hard and don't go FIGMO, but other leaders will turn their backs on you like mine did, and treat you like you're traitorous scum. Either way, think about it because if the odds of PC-ing are low, 2-3 years is a long time to go with leaders that are unsupportive.

Johnstown, talk to your reserve recruiter. Sounds like they need to submit the completed 1288 (read all 3 endorsements filled out and signed). I think the PC loop isn't closed til this is done... I believe what this means to you is you may be approved from SAF PC, but the PC office can't close the loop til your Reserve assignment is populated.