Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

My situation may be weird then. I have a 1288 that recommends disapproval due to low manning at the Sq level (despite the fact we have 7 more pilots than our UMD requires, odd huh?) and the wing/cc marked concur. I wonder if he concured with the disapproval recommendation or should have marked non-concur. Oh well, 6 weeksor so, and I'll figure it out. I find it hard to believe they would keep a guy who can 7 day opt an assignment and 3 day opt a 365, but this is the air force. Thanks for the info all.

My situation may be weird then. I have a 1288 that recommends disapproval due to low manning at the Sq level (despite the fact we have 7 more pilots than our UMD requires, odd huh?) and the wing/cc marked concur. I wonder if he concured with the disapproval recommendation or should have marked non-concur. Oh well, 6 weeksor so, and I'll figure it out. I find it hard to believe they would keep a guy who can 7 day opt an assignment and 3 day opt a 365, but this is the air force. Thanks for the info all.

The 1288 signed by your SQ/CC and WG/CC is required to get the actual PC package started in CMS.

With regards to the concur/non-concur's, each person/office is making their own vote...so the WG/CC is making a recommend for your PC applicaion....he is not agreeing (concur'ing) with the SQ/CC's dis-approval recommendation.

Clear as mud?

Cheers,

Cap-10 (21 days, but who's counting).

• 4 weeks later...

My PC app was just approved with less than six months left on a TX ADSC. UPT ADSC was already complete. The current news from the porch is that less than six months left is the cutoff. (for 11x) The process took about six weeks from my submittal to the email stating it is approved. My advice, talk to everyone in the process from SQ/WG CC to the functional and espicially the PC folks at Randolph, as they were very helpful. Additionally the info required on the AFPC VMPF site lacks additional info needed for the app to process. I got that info from talking to the PC office, which sped up my process. Finally, getting the ANG/AFR unit that hired you to submit a hire letter and sign off the 1288 is almost a rubber stamp approval from the SAF/PC individuals.

The current news from the porch is that less than six months left is the cutoff. (for 11x) The process took about six weeks from my submittal to the email stating it is approved. My advice, talk to everyone in the process from SQ/WG CC to the functional and espicially the PC folks at Randolph, as they were very helpful. Additionally the info required on the AFPC VMPF site lacks additional info needed for the app to process. I got that info from talking to the PC office, which sped up my process. Finally, getting the ANG/AFR unit that hired you to submit a hire letter and sign off the 1288 is almost a rubber stamp approval from the SAF/PC individuals.

I was < 6 months (11F) and was approved....the WSO's (12F) who are < 6 months are still getting denied.

Mine took a little over 8 weeks.

I too called the porch and chief of fighter assignments just to give a skulls up and explain my rational/big picture plan...they both recommended approval.

I also had a intent to hire letter...not required but it can only help your case.

NEW PALACE CHASE ISSUES

1) Lack of ID card: at my final out, they took my CAC card...I asked for my Reserve card...they said no...regardless of what my separation orders said or the the email from AFPC stating my commitment to the Reserves into 2013 or the Reserve commissioning oath I took/signed, MPF said they couldn't issue a card until DEERS shows me in the Reserves. I sarcastically reminded the rep that the PC program allows for a "seamless" transition from AD to AFRC and she said "never heard of that program"...that's when I got the supervisors involved.

End result, their system didn't give them the option to make me a reserve card since it feeds off of DEERS, so now my only access to base is when my wife drives me since she still has her dependent card.

2) TRICARE: Tried to sign up for TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS)....again told that I can't until DEERS is updated...I asked if I was still covered under my AD TRICARE for 30-69 days but was told since I voluntarily separated (as opposed to RIF, etc) that I was cut off the day after separating.

Once I do get gained into AFRC, I am told that everything is backed dated to 1 May (day after my DOS) and that I "should" be covered retroactively for any medical issues, but hope is not a plan nor a tactic so I'm still searching for a definitive answer or something in writing, but no luck so far.

TRS sign up have to be done by the 20th of the month to take effect on the first of the following month, so if DEERS doesn't get updated by 20 May, I may not have coverage until 1 Jul.

3) THE PROCESS: the ISR sends off your paperwork to ARPC...ARPC gains you and creates the Reserve Commisioning Order....that order updates MilPDS...MilPDS Updates DEERS...on average this takes 30 days...FML!!!

This was meant to be a skulls up for others who are PC'ing but if anyone has already experienced theses issues or knows how to help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Edit: I spell goodly.

Edited by Cap-10

Cap 10 -

the out processing packet I got said I specifically get to keep my ID card (four months ago). It doesn't really matter, because you need to get a NEW card once you join the R/ANG. Apparently they can't reprogram that piece of shit little chip. You also won't get said new card until DEERs, a computer system that can be updated with a mouse click, registers you as attached to your unit.

It's been great for some, one guy had 4 weeks of CT flying and not one email.

I assume when Big Blue discovers all the CBTs we're missing that policy will change.

As for TRICARE, there's TAMP. The readiness person at your new unit will know all about it. It's 180 days of TRS while orders get sorted out. It specifically designed for Palace Chase/Front types. As long as your family is in DEERs, regardless of if you shows AD/ANG/R it can still be processed.

Hope it helps.

Yeah, they shouldn't be taking your CAC at outprocessing. After all, I'd bet nearly everyone is taking terminal leave, and they can't destroy your CAC if you've got another 3 months until your actual sep date.

But like Crosswind said, they still will replace your card when you get to your unit. Never understood that, especially now that all CACs are identical.

You should get the 180 days of tricare, like mentioned.

I know they SHOULDN'T be taking my CAC but trying to convince the civilian to give me a Reserve Card when she said "I've never heard of PALACE CHASE before" it was a lesson in futility. I was there for quite some time, jumping up and down on supervisors desk, but apparently no one at the local level had any ability to force their computer system to generate a Reserve Card...they also couldn't not re-issue an active duty card with anything but a 30 Apr expiration date.....the creator of the DEERS / MPF interface program has just made my list!

Not sure if it was all the phone calls and pestering I've been making the past 6-9 days or the fact that my unit and AFRC were on the ball but I had my wife drive me to base today (I made sure she kept her dependent card after my experience) and DEERS showed me as a Reservist...I was able to get my Reserve CAC card as well as the TA-180 card (180 days of TAMP, effective the day after my active duty DOS).

While we are sharing lessons learned, your final paycheck gets direct depositted 6-9 business days after your DOS, so don't expect your normal 1st or 15th paycheck.

Cheers,

Cap-10

EDIT: auto STS with regards to any mention of "my CAC".

Edited by Cap-10

My final paycheck was right on time, and my ANG unit gave me and my wife ID cards the day I swore in, to include the TAMP one. Maybe its an AFRC issue on a AD base,but I had no issues except not getting paid for 1 month, but since then, not an issue.

Edited by matmacwc

I just re-read this thread and the palace chase reg and I can't find the answer to the following question: If you seven day opt an assignment (which I believe establishes a separation date) can you then apply for PC to have your separation date moved to the left? Or is it set in stone once you turn down an assignment? Also, how much lead time does the guard/reserve sq usually want? Is interviewing one year out from your desired separation date normal?

I'm thinking about applying to get six months knocked off my ADCS through PC but I will probably get an assignment when I have 1.5 yrs left on my UPT commitment, which may complicate things. I'd like to know I had a guard/reserve job lined up before turning down the assignment if possible.

From AFI 36-2110 (Assignments):

"2.30.2.2. The date of separation or date of retirement officers are eligible to request under 7-day option provisions varies depending on their grade, whether serving OS or in the CONUS, if they have been notified of establishment of an ASD based on vulnerability for involuntary PCS selection and whether or not they have an unserved ADSC on the requested separation or retirement date. Officers may not request a separation or retirement date which is before the expiration of an ADSC, except as an exception to policy IAW paragraph 1.5. Officers with no ADSC (and those with an ADSC which will expire before the requested date of separation or retirement) may request a separation or retirement date which is no later than the first day of the 12th month following their ASD (mo/yr) or 1st day of the 7th month following official event notification (mo/yr), except:"

I read that as having to set a DOS no sooner than the expiration of your ADSC. Since anything is waiversble, it does mention the exception to policy in paragraph 1.5 of the same regulation.

I would also recommend looking through AFI 36-3207 "Separating Comissioned Officers"

I interviewed with my reserve unit 11 months before I separated and got hired the same day. They were more than happy to give me a intent to hire letter that I brought back and gave to my ISR.

Since I just Palace Chased, I would recommend applying a minimum of 7 months prior to requested DOS. My timeline was:

3 months from starting application process until finally approved (party line is 6-8 weeks but mine took 12)

1 month for ANG/Reserve assignment to get loaded...once loaded this allows active duty to finalize DOS, generate separation orders and activate vMPF out processing checklist.

1 month to accomplish out-processing checklist... Yes you can do it faster but you know that some appointments (TRICARE, TAP, etc) are probably only offered 1 to 2 times a month.

2 months of terminal leave...I had just under 60 days of leave saved up. (note: you do get permissive leave when Palace Chasing)

Hope this helps...good luck!

Cheers,

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

I just re-read this thread and the palace chase reg and I can't find the answer to the following question: If you seven day opt an assignment (which I believe establishes a separation date) can you then apply for PC to have your separation date moved to the left? Or is it set in stone once you turn down an assignment? Also, how much lead time does the guard/reserve sq usually want? Is interviewing one year out from your desired separation date normal?

I'm thinking about applying to get six months knocked off my ADCS through PC but I will probably get an assignment when I have 1.5 yrs left on my UPT commitment, which may complicate things. I'd like to know I had a guard/reserve job lined up before turning down the assignment if possible.

I don't think you can set a separation date, then move it up, I tried 2 different systems to get out (7 day/VSP), and big blue didn't like it. It had more to do with how the system worked in vMPF for me, maybe you will have better luck.

More to the point, accept another assignment? I thought you wanted out BAD.

Re-read the Palace Chase reg. If you see the table that shows who is eligible and who is not it says you are not eligible if you already have a separation date, have a school slot and assignment, have PCS'd within 2 years, or are within 2/3ds to 1/2 of ADSC, depending on the ADSC. If you have a separation date, then you Call Palace Front. I do not know if those dates can be slid.

How set in stone is the PCSed within 2 years? It seems like pretty much the only way you can palace chase is if every single star aligns where you don't get an assignment while having less than a year left. We've seen them deny 11Ms who meet the 2/3rd ADSC but are outside of a year.

Giant WTF...

• 5 weeks later...

More TAMP issues. Does anybody know what AFI deals with TAMP (180 days of free tri-care)? I'm starting terminal leave next week (Palace Chase approved) and am trying to get TAMP authorized on my separation orders. The guys at AFPC separations are telling me that I am not eligilble for TAMP because I am voluntarily separting from the AD and joining the Reserve (my separation code if FGQ). I forwarded them the tri-care brochure that says if you separate and join the reserves you are eligible for TAMP however that didn't work. Thanks for the help.

Edited by on the fence

More TAMP issues. Does anybody know what AFI deals with TAMP (180 days of free tri-care)? I'm starting terminal leave next week (Palace Chase approved) and am trying to get TAMP authorized on my separation orders. The guys at AFPC separations are telling me that I am not eligilble for TAMP because I am voluntarily separting from the AD and joining the Reserve (my separation code if FGQ). I forwarded them the tri-care brochure that says if you separate and join the reserves you are eligible for TAMP however that didn't work. Thanks for the help.

I didn't get TAMP many years ago separating under the same circumstances, but looking at the Tricare website it sure as shit says you should be eligible.

Edited to unfuck what I said previously

Edited by Danny Noonin

I was hell-bent on getting out at all costs when we were being told that we'd never fly again (imagine that, pilots want to fly). I have a new CC now and he is pretty great. He's doing everything he can to work a flying assignment, so we'll see. If all AF leaders were like him I would stay... Too bad that's not the case. I'm still likely to punch, but I'm a little more interested in what they have in store for me next now.

Edit: typo.

You know what I'm going to say about your post right?

You'll get it. I got money to leave and they told me I was not eligible, I got it and used it.

Edited by matmacwc

I was hell-bent on getting out at all costs when we were being told that we'd never fly again (imagine that, pilots want to fly). I have a new CC now and he is pretty great. He's doing everything he can to work a flying assignment, so we'll see. If all AF leaders were like him I would stay... Too bad that's not the case. I'm still likely to punch, but I'm a little more interested in what they have in store for me next now.

Edit: typo.

You can get a flying assignment, you just have to recat to UAVs first. Isn't that a WTF?

Do not worry about your orders. Your Guard/Reserve Readiness person knows how TAMP works. NO ONE on active duty does, even in the Tricare Regional Office. TAMP isn't free though, it was sort of like tricare standard.

After you swear in, walk down to the readiness office. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Get TAMP squared away because you are technically uninsured until you do.

Wondering if someone here can help me track down a good contact at AFRC. I separated from AD on 1 Jun under Palace Chase. The ISR at the base that I left stated that it would be some time until I was processed into the Reserves and could drill with my unit. Does anyone know how I can check on this process? Of course, I've tried calling the ISR at my last base and the phone has rung off the hook for 3 days straight and no email response either. I'm not too concerned yet as I know folks who were in limbo for over a month, but it would be nice to know where my paperwork is currently at.

I have been, but they're currently deployed, so progress is a bit slow. I suppose it's not really that shocking that no one at AFPC can tell me anything about this process. For the folks wondering about TAMP, PC'ers get it, but at least for me, there is a period of a few weeks (while waiting for the aforementioned process to play out) where my family and I are showing ineligible in DEERS. I'm assured that coverage will be backdated once I start drilling with my unit. We'll see how that works out.

It took about 2 weeks for me to be &quot;gained&quot; into the Reserve system.

Once DEERS caught up, it showed me as backdated to the day after my DOS.

Cheers,

CP-10

Mine took 0 days, palace front, didn't miss a day of Tricare, but glad to be off it now.