Palace Chase info

Guest ecutch

12 minutes ago, splithaivan said:

How far away were you from the unit? Got any advice for the interview/hiring process? For the September ANG Boards, I will likely be sending out apps to as many as I can; however, I will only be able to visit a limited amount of units given the Sept/Oct Board timeframe and my current job.

I am from the Seattle area and was hired at Travis AFB in NorCal. I had some contacts in the squadron there (My dad was a C-17 pilot and he had friends from UPT at Travis flying in the reserves) so that got my foot in the door once I asked my dad if he knew anybody flying the KC-10.

To prep for my interview, I found lots of questions from here in the forums, and some from airline interviews, and made a big "interview script" on google docs and just sat for an hour a few nights a week doing some "creative writing" in response to those questions. For the "tell me about yourself question" I got to the point where I knew it so well that I could add pauses and expressions into my response to make it casual and natural - I think it's the one question they expect you to have a sort of canned answer to - but want it to be from the heart.  For the other questions I came up with some bullet points/trigger words so that I could make answers come quick depending on how they framed the question and stay on my toes.

I think I ended up making it 6-7 pages long, I definitely over-prepared but it really paid off.  If you want to PM me I'm happy to share. 

Another tip I have is to practice answering your questions sitting in a chair at a table, in your suit jacket or something.  This helped me control my body language and fidget less, and get used to wearing a suit jacket - lots of buttons and pockets to learn to ignore.  Even things like how to unbutton/button your suit jacket will make you feel like the guy in Wolf of Wall Street going in to the interview room.

I'm no expert but it worked for me - I got hired at C--5s and KC-10s Friday and Saturday back to back and ended up backing out of a C-17 gig.  I know I'll get shit for that - but honestly the KC-10 tugs at my heart a ton and I know that the C-17 will be around for longer than the KC-10 and that opportunity will still be there in the future.  I couldn't see myself flying the C-5, the crews on trips are really big and you end up logging lots of "other" time instead of PIC/SIC.  KC-10 also goes more places.  Plus, it's a DC-10.  However, I owe a lot to the C-5 interview for helping me go in the next day confidently - also they are super top notch guys, just not what I saw myself committing to in the end.  They stood me and two other interviewees up at the end and hired all three of us on the spot - it was actually really special.  Made the decision I had the next few days really tough, but I felt really lucky to get hired two places in one go.

Edited by extender10
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, extender10 said:

I am from the Seattle area and was hired at Travis AFB in NorCal. I had some contacts in the squadron there (My dad was a C-17 pilot and he had friends from UPT at Travis flying in the reserves) so that got my foot in the door once I asked my dad if he knew anybody flying the KC-10.

To prep for my interview, I found lots of questions from here in the forums, and some from airline interviews, and made a big "interview script" on google docs and just sat for an hour a few nights a week doing some "creative writing" in response to those questions. For the "tell me about yourself question" I got to the point where I knew it so well that I could add pauses and expressions into my response to make it casual and natural - I think it's the one question they expect you to have a sort of canned answer to - but want it to be from the heart.  For the other questions I came up with some bullet points/trigger words so that I could make answers come quick depending on how they framed the question and stay on my toes.

I think I ended up making it 6-7 pages long, I definitely over-prepared but it really paid off.  If you want to PM me I'm happy to share. 

Another tip I have is to practice answering your questions sitting in a chair at a table, in your suit jacket or something.  This helped me control my body language and fidget less, and get used to wearing a suit jacket - lots of buttons and pockets to learn to ignore.  Even things like how to unbutton/button your suit jacket will make you feel like the guy in Wolf of Wall Street going in to the interview room.

I'm no expert but it worked for me - I got hired at C--5s and KC-10s Friday and Saturday back to back and ended up backing out of a C-17 gig.  I know I'll get shit for that - but honestly the KC-10 tugs at my heart a ton and I know that the C-17 will be around for longer than the KC-10 and that opportunity will still be there in the future.  I couldn't see myself flying the C-5, the crews on trips are really big and you end up logging lots of "other" time instead of PIC/SIC.  KC-10 also goes more places.  Plus, it's a DC-10.  However, I owe a lot to the C-5 interview for helping me go in the next day confidently - also they are super top notch guys, just not what I saw myself committing to in the end.  They stood me and two other interviewees up at the end and hired all three of us on the spot - it was actually really special.  Made the decision I had the next few days really tough, but I felt really lucky to get hired two places in one go.

WTF did I just read?

• Upvote 2

Every time you guys post in this thread it gets people's hopes up that the AF is actually approving Palace Chase applications only to come to this thread and find nothing about Palace Chase is actually being discussed...

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Duck said:

Every time you guys post in this thread it gets people's hopes up that the AF is actually approving Palace Chase applications only to come to this thread and find nothing about Palace Chase is actually being discussed...

Yep, sorry - I'll PM that next time. 

• Upvote 2

I would like to separate from AD ASAP, but I think the best I could even possibly do for Palace Chase is 6 months or less off of my UPT ADSC.  I am an IP in a critically manned MWS.  I really would like to continue in the ANG/AFR because I do enjoy the flying and the mission.  Would it be worth making the case in a personal statement to the PC board, that if I am not approved for PC, I plan to separate from the AF all together?  Or would that be seen as quibbling and looked down upon?  I actually am considering waiting it out and separating all together since I do have other options.  I realize this would be a shitty move though if I had already committed to an ANG/AFR unit previously.  I have not applied to or interviewed with any units yet, but I have contacts at a few units who said they would be glad to have me as they are in desperate need of AC/IPs.

2 hours ago, Duck said:

I know, we should discuss my chances getting into the NBA on this forum. For F sake.

21 hours ago, extender10 said:

Haha my bad, I'll send that as a PM next time.  Too personal?  I get kind of excited when I relive that process. I really need to focus on something else while waiting for my OTS date.

The palace chase process?  Hint:  Its sarcasm for you to leave this thread and use the search function, not for an answer.  

• Like 1

Not a pilot (17S) but this is one of the few forums where officers can get some actual info and data points on the Palace Chase process.

Submitted package on 25 May, got to AFPC on 13 Jun, got to SAF/PC on 22 Jun, still pending decision (8 weeks).

Recommended approvals from SQ/CC, WG/CC. Recommended disapproval from functional due to manning, even though we're 100% manned at the unit level.

Asked for 16 months off for using tuition assistance, got intent to hire letter with a technician position offer, asking to go into a Guard unit with a high-demand mission.

Anyone have info on how often the SAF/PC meets to review packages?

Does anyone know if there has been any movement to extend the average 6 months of UPT ADSC by big blue.  It seems like the majority of dudes I've talked to about wanting to go Guard/Reserve would rather just not deal with the bs if they would only get a few months waived.  Seems like a no brainier to retain pilots.  

ISR got back with me today after talking with AFPC and they said SAF/PC is taking 12+ weeks on applications. Like others stated before, AFPC has no insight at the SAF/PC level.

AFPC did offer a chance to push DOS to a later date there isn't enough time for outprocessing and terminal leave; it's not an issue for me since I still have 2 months since terminal starts and 4 months until DOS.

18 hours ago, Kelryin said:

Not a pilot (17S) but this is one of the few forums where officers can get some actual info and data points on the Palace Chase process.

Not just a pilots site!  We like to see how others are dealing with mother AF.

Palace chase approved. I haven't received an email from AFPC yet, but my status on MyPers just changed to "AFPC-Awaiting ARC assignment". 

-11S, 5 and a half months off UPT ADSC to TFI guard unit with my current Sq. Recommended Approvals from Sq, wing, and AFPC. Initially submitted at the beginning of April for a December separation date. Got through wing and AFPC within a month. SAF/PC for exactly 16 weeks.

Word is that they've been very backed up and were working through packages with the closest separation dates...that's probably why mine took 16 weeks, given I have a December sep date. 

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, JS57 said:

Palace chase approved. I haven't received an email from AFPC yet, but my status on MyPers just changed to "AFPC-Awaiting ARC assignment". 

-11S, 5 and a half months off UPT ADSC to TFI guard unit with my current Sq. Recommended Approvals from Sq, wing, and AFPC. Initially submitted at the beginning of April for a December separation date. Got through wing and AFPC within a month. SAF/PC for exactly 16 weeks.

Word is that they've been very backed up and were working through packages with the closest separation dates...that's probably why mine took 16 weeks, given I have a December sep date. 

Congrats! Good to see that they're constantly going through packages.

I have a December DOS date too, but mine was sitting SAF for 8 weeks now. Should hear something in the next few weeks. I'm also hoping the hurricane won't cause any delays to process packages

Palace Chase approved.  Just waiting on the 1288 and medical clearance to get submitted to AFPC, but it has been the weekend.

12M, 10 months off initial ADSC and 12 months off PCS ADSC.  Approvals all the way up with an intent to hire letter.  Squadron is divesting the last of my airframe on Active Duty.  Got through AFPC in about a month with final approval in 10 weeks total.  Kicked back the first time due to DEROS issues.

Would it be worth making the case in a personal statement to the PC board, that if I am not approved for PC, I plan to separate from the AF all together? 

I think they will see an ultimatum as quibbling, maybe even take it personally. I think that will hurt your chances. Stick to why a PC helps the total force (not simply your personal desire to get off bullshit island as fast as possible).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten any updates on the Palace Chase packages recently? I'm sitting at 16 weeks now at SAF/PC and haven't heard anything. My ISR says she has other packages that are waiting review at SAF/PC as well.

Both ISR and AFPC say they can't get updates from SAF/PC. I let my chain of command know a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything. Are they any other avenues to get some update?

My experience mirrored kelryn's. Neither recruiter or AFPC has any contact with SAF.  They are in the dark as much as you are with "no way" to contact anyone in the PC office at SAF. The only way I had decent SA on my stuff was my CC knew a guy who knew a guy. If you don't have a bro network connection like that, you're pretty much fucked at having any idea when your stuff is going to run through SAF. Great system AF...

Edited by brabus

Most of the people I know have told me if they don’t get approved PC, they aren’t going to the Guard or Reserves at all.

I was denied back in March and have another package at SAF/PC right now. I know recruiters and AFPC always say they have no insight to SAF/PC, but I'm not sold on that. Last time around my recruiter was able to tell me that my package went to the board and I should be finding out any day, then I found out the following week. The Friday before last I called AFPC and got someone from the palace chase office on the phone (not a TFSC rep), and I was able to get them to tell me that my package had met the SAF/PC board. I interpreted that as my decision has been made, then she told me it would be 1-2 weeks for notification. So hopefully there will be some news this week. You might try to call AFPC and specifically ask if they know whether or not your package has met the board. If not, you can ask if they happen to know when the next board is. They may give you a canned answer that they have no insight, but worth a try.