ROTC Class/Commander Ranking

Guest afrotccadet

does anyone know if you can argue your class ranking if you think u were ranked considerably lower than what u feel u should have been?

Wow...are you joking? Telling your CC and cadre who have 25yrs+ of military experience that their collective assessment of you is wrong...good idea. I'm not saying that ROTC isn't out of touch with reality and just loves kids who kiss a$$, but sometimes you just have to STFU and prove people wrong by your future deeds. Arguing with your superiors will always get you no-where...learn this lesson now so when you do get to UPT someday you won't make an a$$ of yourself with an IP or check pilot like so many studs do thus ruining any chance of ever getting the plane you want. The lesson still applies even if you don't want to be a pilot.

Guest SpunkDagger

Say you are a crosstown. You have a 3.5 at your "home school" and you get an A in your AS class. Will that boost your GPA at the det? Assuming your AS class counts as 0 credits at your home school. If so any idea how much?

Think I have read/heard about this, but don't know how reliable the source is.

Edited by SpunkDagger

In response to calculating your Air Force GPA: The GPA that should be used is your cumulative GPA that includes all classes and grades from every college that you have attended.

Your NCO's or AS teacher should collect all your transcripts and calculate your GPA.

Some Dets don't do this. Some do. At my Det, you turn in your transcript from your main school. What ever GPA is on there is the one they use. So if you took courses at some college and they haven't transferred over to you current college, then for better or worse, may not be counted for your Air Force GPA that is put into Wings and used for your rank etc.

If you have only gone to one college your whole time then your cum gpa and Air Force GPA is the same already. If you have attended more than one college then the

bottom line is there is a way it should be done, and there are many ways that it actually is done.

If you are a crosstowner, then the GPA that you have at your school will be the GPA that goes into the GPA section of your OM score. However, most CCs (at least as far as I have heard and experienced) will take your GPA into consideration for their CC's ranking, which means they will take into consideration the GPA that you have at your school + the GPA that you have earned in your AS classes. If you've done well in your AS classes, it should boost you "overall" GPA in your CC's eyes.

I go to a crosstown school that is clearly harder than my Det. based school. My GPA is a 3.18 but at the Det.'s school it could definitly be higher. Do you think it is taken into effect when they do the rankings?

If I was the Det CC...where you went to school would not change anything. If you chose to attend a school that is harder, and you were selected by that school to attend, you should be able to do well. If you can't do well there, you should transfer to a school in which you can do well ...or change your major...or just do better....or do you best and take what comes.

Any way you slice it, you made the call to go there...

Wow...are you joking? Telling your CC and cadre who have 25yrs+ of military experience that their collective assessment of you is wrong...good idea. I'm not saying that ROTC isn't out of touch with reality and just loves kids who kiss a$$, but sometimes you just have to STFU and prove people wrong by your future deeds. Arguing with your superiors will always get you no-where...learn this lesson now so when you do get to UPT someday you won't make an a$$ of yourself with an IP or check pilot like so many studs do thus ruining any chance of ever getting the plane you want. The lesson still applies even if you don't want to be a pilot.

i understand what ur saying trust me. but i'm sure ud be asking the same question if u were a top cadet in the wing and then literally got ranked at the bottom of ur class for no apparent reason causing u not to get a rated slot.

i understand what ur saying trust me. but i'm sure ud be asking the same question if u were a top cadet in the wing and then literally got ranked at the bottom of ur class for no apparent reason causing u not to get a rated slot.

I found out later, that back when I went through ROTC there was a cadet who all the cadre hated, yet the Commander loved her. Even though the CoC and all the other instructors argued with him when it came time to do rankings, she was "off limits", "discussion closed". So in some cases, not even the officers at the detachment can argue for rankings...

• 5 months later...
Guest Stopher

After a year in ROTC I'm still kind of confused about the who Commander's Ranking Deal. I'm trying to figure out where I stand.

Take an example of me and another cadet. This other cadet seriously lives at the det (has stayed the night there before) and is involved in EVERYTHING. Basically a nut case. She won a Meritorious service award as a freshman (which I didnt think was possible). I know ranking involves alot, like GPA, PFA, and of course involvement. I have a 3.9 GPA and since this cadet lives at the Det she has like a 2.9, can barely pass her PFA, and I have a 100. But she has been winning numerous awards and I'm winning barely any. I want to think of myself as higher on the chain as her though because my PFA, GPA, and AFOQT are way better than hers. Im still involved alittle too (AAS) but I still have another life. But who's gunna get the higher rank? Someone who lives at the Det, does everything, and gets every service award? Or someone with way better stats? I'm just trying to figure where I stand. Thanks for the help.

Depends on your commander. How much of a DB is he? What about the other cadre? Do they have their BS filters up? Commander's ranking is suppose to take in the whole person concept. Our CC was able to see past the BS. Others aren't as lucky.

She won a Meritorious service award as a freshman (which I didnt think was possible)
:vomit:

God I hated ROTC...

Yes, it is true Commander's Ranking is 50%, but the rest of that pie chart that they always put on the wall include things like the PFT, GPA, etc. etc. The pilot board gets all your stats.

Now, she may get a good ranking, but they don't give out just one slot. It is frustrating to see someone under the Colonel's desk everyday but do what you need to do and get the slot. Good luck.

Guest SpunkDagger

Sounds like you have "that girl" on your hands. If you can see she is a nut probably all of your fellow cadets do too, only a matter of time before people get a bad vibe if she is trying to out perfrom everyone. I bet she burns out.

Sounds like you're doing exactly what you should be doing. She sounds like the typical kid who won't even make it to commissioning, let alone a pilot slot. Don't think just b/c someone wins a few more gay ROTC awards than you do means the square root of fuck all when it comes down to pilot slots or commissioning. It's not like they actually count for any type of points or something towards a pilot slot. Don't sweat it, keep doing what you're doing and watch her crash and burn.

Sounds like you're doing exactly what you should be doing. She sounds like the typical kid who won't even make it to commissioning, let alone a pilot slot. Don't think just b/c someone wins a few more gay ROTC awards than you do means the square root of fuck all when it comes down to pilot slots or commissioning. It's not like they actually count for any type of points or something towards a pilot slot. Don't sweat it, keep doing what you're doing and watch her crash and burn.

I would be willing to put money on her not lasting till commissioning. I have seen this way to many times. We had a couple in my class that were probably in the top of the class... and then grades were released and so were they. These things have a way of working themselves out.

Edited by Duck

Guest tenguFlyer

I agree with the people who say I can't see her lasting. If she is struggling with the PFA than FT will probably be the hurdle she trips on. Otherwise something else will catch up to her.

I wouldn't worry about it. Its possible to get ranked last in your class and still get an OM of 75. That said, dropping 1 or 2 points on a Commanders ranking wont be a big deal.