Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

found out tonight that i got picked up for the jan board-- thank God.. i was wondering if the security clearance that is necessary for OTS is the same thing as the "OPM receipt." i've already completed my fc1 because i'm a PRK waiver candidate, and i was wondering what else needed to be done. my recruiter said that he didn't need to do any clearance stuff, just the OPM receipt... anyone know what that is?

Guest El Campion

Never heard of OPM. By they way, you must be one of the first to find out, since nobody on the other site has posted or is going insane trying to get a hold of a list. Congrats.

Guest cbire880

Liger: You are shitting us right? The 0602 OTS board results aren't supposed to be out yet. If you got picked up for pilot, you'll need to do an electronic form for the SSBI check. Its a lot of paper work to get that TS clearance. Last I hear it didn't have to be completed to attned OTS, just submitted.

yeah, the pilot results were rumored to come out jan 31, took a little longer than that, per usual.. everyone else should be able to find out now. so as long as i submit the electronic form for the SSBI check, that's the same as the security clearance and that's all i have left to do?

• 1 month later...
Guest WickedKiller

Can a ANG officer transfer to the AD without having to go through OTS? Just wondering if I were to take a non-pilot ANG officer position, and applied for a AD UPT slot later - say a year from now - if I would have to go through OTS? Is it a 1:1 transition, ANG Lt. to AD Lt.? What's the rules for being an ANG officer and applying to AD UPT? Considered a prior service transfer?

Guest terryrea

ANG Lt. is still an officer in the US Military. I am not sure about what it takes to cross flow to and AD UPT slot or any unit for that matter.

ANG officers are federally recognized, so once you are commissioned, you are commissioned. Only hitch would be if you commissioned without a bachelors degree, you need one to switch components (reserve to active etc). Reference ANGI 36-2005 for more info.

Guest twinkle toes

I don't know if it is the same as enlisted, but you need atleast 2yrs in your current rank to not go down a paygrade. Obviously if you are at the lowest paygrade, you stay there. Not sure about officer. You also can finagle if the AF needs your afsc.

[ 04. April 2006, 06:51: Message edited by: twinkle toes ]

Guest thefranchise

some guard guys do go to OTS. we had 2 in my class. not sure why they didnt go to AMS

Guest WickedKiller

How does an OTS dude get a “Wing” leadership assignment if he wants to boast odds of applying to ENJJPT through OTS? What’s the deal? Would I just ask the FC/boss for leadership/wing assignments or does the FC just pick someone…or does everyone go through the same mock leadership assignments?

Guest Apollo

First of all, don't get too wrapped up in the leadership position. Really, the interview is the largest factor of the whole process. Your AFOQT/PCSM and OTS academic numbers are just as important.

Now, how well and strong you come out to your flight and squadron commanders is what gets you a leadership position. That, plus how strong you appear during the leadership position boards. Being quick to volunteer at OTS is a good way to start.

1. Do well and try

2. Express Interest

3. Do well on boards

4. If no good position, try on half-time boards

5. Attempt again

I've known quite a few people who didn't have jack when it came to assignments but got selected. Really, the interview is what makes or breaks you. You need to learn to play on your strength. Being prior service or having a chunk of previous flight experience being the most common two strengths. To be honest, unless there are alot of slots open, almost everyone for ENJJPT seems to have one or the other.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest samsdog

You sure they weren't USAFR? The ANG has their own school, why wouldn't they use it? The USAFR sends some/most of their soon-to-be rated folks to OTS. Just my $0.02 worth.

Guest chuzie

I have the black low quarters from my enlisted basic training as well as the chloroformsI bought thereafter. Would it be a mistake to take the chloroforms?

Guest pstephens

You guessed it. We had a cadet at our FTU who had them and they got torn a new one. I don't know if there is a REG against it, but I would not advise it.

Guest uniballvisionmicro

"I have the black low quarters from my enlisted basic training as well as the chloroformsI bought thereafter. Would it be a mistake to take the chloroforms?"

I dont think they look to highly on bringing a drug like chloroform to OTS. Perhaps you should also leave your corfams at home too.

J/K. Good luck man!

Originally posted by C17pilot2B:

You guessed it. We had a cadet at our FTU who had them and they got torn a new one. I don't know if there is a REG against it, but I would not advise it.

For ROTC, there is a reg saying that GMC cadets can't wear corframs (AFROTC 36-2008) The reg also lists other things that GMC can't wear

If you're talking about coroframs, they sell them during inprocessing at OTS. So they weren't a problem for me or anybody else in my class.

Bring both, if something's changed in the year since I've been there and they're not authorized, keep them in civilian luggage.

• 1 month later...