Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

Guest Want2FlyRaptor

Damn that's my year too! I would like that information too. Anyone? I hope there's enough slots to go around!

Matt E,

In general, if the interview is that short it is not a good sign.

The interviewer probably needs more time then that to gather enough info to make an accurate write-up.

The shortest interview I have conducted yet was 30 mins. The longest was about an hour. Average is 40-45 mins.

If you are lucky, he saw enough in your resume to feel he could do a good write-up.

CAVOK

From what I understand they generally announce the number of slots at the Commander's Call in the fall. That's when they tell all of the PAS when Big Week is (the week of categorization) and how many pilot, nav, and ABM slots there are. This year I think it was around 535 for ROTC. Ask your cadre for specifics, they'll know for sure. But I wouldn't expect to know how many drivers they'll need for FY07 until October of 2006.

[ 10. December 2005, 16:58: Message edited by: FSUBadger ]

Dude it's not a matter of how many slots there are, just get good scores and have an OM over 80 and you'll be straight. Knowing how many slots there will be won't help you out at all.

You know, I read posts all the time about guys wondering how many slots there are and what happened the last couple of years and what not. I got my slot and finished UPT, but i dont remember worrying about that stuff. Just do the best you can to put yourself in the position to get the slot no matter how many are given out.

The numbers dont change too much year to year for ROTC and the academy(+/-50), some of the old heads around here know about the days of banked pilots and stuff, but i think its been a while since that happened (ten years or more).

Good luck and dont worry about shit you cant change, you keep an attitude like that and youll kill yourself in AETC when you get here.

I'm actually looking to get into Security Forces. I'd likely put Nav as my #2 but I can't apply to the board for SF first and if I were to be picked up for Nav then I can't apply for SF, so I'm aiming high and hoping for the best.

Originally posted by WHAP:

The numbers dont change too much year to year for ROTC and the academy(+/-50), some of the old heads around here know about the days of banked pilots and stuff, but i think its been a while since that happened (ten years or more).

Not true. Pilot slots fluctuate each year much more than +/- 50. Furthermore, maybe you guys don't read the news, but the AF is WAY over it's programmed Lt's and is kicking people out! Add to that the fact that the AETC/CC basically said the AF doesn't need as many pilots as we are currently producing... My point is, the shear numbers do change and will most likely change again soon. Regardless, it doesn't matter. Doing well = pilot slot.

Originally posted by LJ Driver:

Furthermore, maybe you guys don't read the news, but the AF is WAY over it's programmed Lt's and is kicking people out!

But that does not apply to Pilots / Nav's and ABM's.

Hoser

Actually, for both 0601 and 0602 they had 2 slots available. In both, they took one guy with low time and one guy with high time.

The real deal about EN is the personal aspect. That then ties in with any flight xp you have and how well you've done at ots. Your flight commander will write a letter about you, so make sure you tell him/her early on that you are interested.

The board itself is sat by 4 people. They often have a person from Pensacola (for WSO) and ENJPPT on the board. In my case, the actual head of OTS ran the board.

For the interview, I was myself. I didn't give book answers and I even had the members laugh a few times. I tied in my achievements and aggressive nature. I actually heard feedback from my FC that I had done well on the interview. So, being yourself is a major win.

I had 1700+ hours CFII-MEI and all that jazz, the other guy was a prior and had 25 hours. For both of us, we had good CWT test scores and the like. There was another guy who applied who had quite a bit of flight time, but he wasn't selected.

Flight time isn't everything, but it does give you a foot in the door. You then need to show you are up to the demanding routine that will be EN. But mostly, I feel you need to make them feel like you are the kind of guy they would want in their squadron.

Out of the last 4 interviews I've done--in the last 2 days--the shortest was 35 mins, the longest was 1+15 & could have gone longer (probably the longest one I have conducted).

If there are "issues" with your application package, then a longer interview is definitely in your best interest. It gives you a chance to bond with the interviewer & explain what happened (DUI, bad grades, whatever).

Many candidates packages are so strong that the applicant almost doesn't need to show up to the interview--that is where you want to be!

Here is a key:

The recruiter will do what they can to prepare you for the interview, but ultimately it is your responsibility to have your package accurate & complete.

1. This means getting the letters of rec ahead of time, not faxed to your recruiter the morning of the interview.

2. Having current transcripts--if it is from a college you no longer attend (like community college), there is no excuse for not having the transcripts.

3. Having a professional looking resume.

4. Having your resume & application match--jobs listed on one but not the other.

5. Having gross spelling or grammatical errors on your personal statement--can you say "Microsoft Word"? I knew you could!

If any of this is completely new to you, I strongly recommend you go to the baseops.net homepage and click on the UPT link under "Pilot Training Study" on the right side.

CAVOK

You will have a Talon for worthless knowledge, quotes, and some facts. You will then have several punched manuals that go in binders. These manuals will cover a variety of topics. Profession of Arms, Leadership Studies, and Military Studies. Alot of the framework/uniform style questions will come from PA. You will also get bound Communication Studies and writing manuals that will help you pass the required writing exercises.

Guest PilotKD

Yes, every time you have to stop in the hallways, you will brace the wall and stick your head in the Talon. I pretty much used it to hide my laughter. :D

Guest sauceyj5

In the most simple terms...do your best, be yourself, don't count yourself out because you don't think you measure up to the comptetion on paper, and say your prayers. Just know that it's not all about flight hours or any other single variable. You've already won by having been selected to go to UPT so you've got nothing to lose. However, be prepared for whatever the outcome, and be humble and grateful for having the PRIVILEGE to be an AF officer/pilot

• 3 weeks later...
Guest on3flip

Does anyone know the exact Air Force publication(s) that are currently being used as a guidline by Recruiters or MPF for anyone applying for a Reserve OTS/UPT slot? .... my best guess is AFRCI36-2602.