Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

Originally posted by Merqutio:

Can someone please point out the pros and cons of each commision method? I will be a graduate student soon, and the school I will be attending offers a two year ROTC program. Has anyone been through the two-year ROTC program? Is it basically the same at the 4-year ROTC program, but with a faster pace? I heard it is easier to get a pilot or nav slot via ROTC than OTS, is this true? How hard is it to get a pilot or nav slot through ROTC? Do you need a PPL for a pilot spot if you are going through ROTC?

You will probably be at a disadvantage though. If you were to join a 2 year program, you would be categorized within a year of entering the program. You would really need to work hard to get your scores up, mainly the commanders rating. It's not impossible though, seen it happen.

One time a cadet joined the two year program, but talked to the det early...the cadre pushed him through a 1 week crash course on AFROTC and somehow he got bumped into a 6 week FT slot the summer before he even started ROTC. He ended up graduating DG. Didn't go pilot route, didn't want to...but he did get AFIT right out of ROTC which isn't easy so i hear. Don't get your hopes up though, with the way they are screening people before getting FT slots, I doubt they will do this any more. Talk to the det though, who knows.

This past categorization there was a pretty high percentage of people who wanted rated get it. Our det we had like 13/14 people get pilot nav that wanted it. It was a good year for ROTC, and I think I read somewhere that ROTC was getting more NAV slots for the next few years, thanks to the academy.

IMO go ROTC, enjoy yourself. If you want it bad enough, you should get it. If you don't end up getting one, you can always try after going active.

In reference to c17wannabe: I was always told ROTC was the easiest way, even above academy...mainly because while they get more slots, typically more (% wise) want pilot slots...and then you add on the large cadet body, which I assume would affect commanders rating. Who knows though, just heresay. Any thoughts?

At the Academy, the only hard thing about getting a pilot slot, is you have to put up with 4 years of the zoo. Everybody who is qualified, with a few exceptions, gets a pilot slot. I believe someone said that they had excess pilot slots last year, and started giving them to almost anybody.

Guest Merqutio

Thanks for the info everyone, I had one last question. How often do ROTC cadets get either their 1st or 2nd choice as far as careers are concerned? Is it rare to get your 1st or second choice? Also, do you get to specify what you want to do, like airlift pilot? I read that they have a new CSO career choice for Navs. Does this mean there are no longer any Nav specialties, and you just learn to do a little bit of everything?

Originally posted by Merqutio:

Thanks for the info everyone, I had one last question. How often do ROTC cadets get either their 1st or 2nd choice as far as careers are concerned? Is it rare to get your 1st or second choice? Also, do you get to specify what you want to do, like airlift pilot? I read that they have a new CSO career choice for Navs. Does this mean there are no longer any Nav specialties, and you just learn to do a little bit of everything?

Typically it all depends on the cadet's merits, and the PAS. If you are a good cadet, and you are really interested in ### career field, then typically the PAS can work things out to where you can get it. Although, I have seen good cadets get passed up for AFSCs because their majors were more attractive to the critically manned career fields.

You need to be selected Pilot/Nav before you get selected to go to different tracks to specific jets and such. One hurdle after another really...the first is getting selected for initial training.

• 1 month later...
Guest afwife

Hi! We are currently stationed at Maxwell, and my husband is trying to get an OTS slot. Since he is right there, will I be able to see him on the weekends once he gets priveledges? Also, he wants to know if you will have internet connection in your room and what the rooms are like. Thank you!

[ 03. June 2005, 12:18: Message edited by: afwife ]

The rooms are typical 2 bed dorm rooms. They'll be spotless all the time due to inspections. There is a gov computer in each room, but many are broken. They are taking all the computers out of the rooms and making a computer lab in the dorm area. So by the time he gets a class date there probably won't be internet in the rooms. Weekend privileges can be given around the last 3-4 weeks of training, but don't count on it. It all depends on how well he is progressing in training.

I would focusing on getting selected first. Was he selected or is he just applying? If he's just applying now, the program could be completely different by the time he actually gets a class date.

Guest afwife

We have a long way to go. He's getting his package together so that it will be ready to go when he can turn it in, and hopfully he can get a class date for Fall 2006. He has an appointment with the education office Monday. He is also going to try to get a pilot slot, so he'll be working on that, too. We bought a study guide. This will be his third time going through "basic" (once for the Academy, once for enlisted active duty, and now OTS).

How long after you submit your package does it usually take before you find out when/if you are going to OTS?

Thanks! :)

Once for the Academy! What Academy if you don't mind me asking? As far as a pilot package goes, that is the same as an OTS package. He'll be picked up for OTS with a pilot position. The time it takes will be dependent on his scores, flight hours etc. There are several tests he has to take in order to apply for pilot. I don't know if he has taken those yet. Do a search on the application package for more detail. It usually takes a good month to find out if you were selected and to receive a class date.

Guest afwife

He went to the Air Force Academy right out of high school (way before I met him), and dropped out after a year (young and didn't know what he wanted in life). He is setting up dates for tests, etc at the education center Monday. We are hoping he'll have a good chance because he tests well, has flown as a loadmaster for the past seven years, has 40 hours flying himself, and has a good aptitude for flying related everything. We know he's going to be grilled about his poor grades at the begining of his college and him leaving the Academy, so we are kind of worried about that. He'll take a nav slot if they don't want to give him a pilot. We have come to the conclusion that since this is going to be his career, he needs to be commissioned for himself and for our family.

Guest Goose

I might be a little slow in this, but isn't OTS still down for the time being? Is there a set date for it's reopening?

In any case, whenever it's open, best of luck! :D

Guest medik6

It can be done. My husband also went through three 'basics' He enlisted then found out about the academy and wanted to fly so he applied for the academy while on active duty. He got accepted, did the first year, and decided it wasn't for him, so he went back to enlisted. (he thinks his problem was that he already knew what the 'real' AF was like and did not want to play their head games.) He went to Embry Riddle got his degree in avionics and applied to OTS. It worked out for him though. He commissioned only 3 months after his USAFA class and makes more money cause he has the E paygrade. He graduates UPT in 8 weeks. Persistency pays off!

Guest afwife

Goose- We just started looking into this but I didn't know OTS was ever down (we just moved here in September). I know they got new dorms (they look nice from the outside), and we just saw lots of OTs out and about at the circle yesterday. DH has an appointment with the ed. center Monday, but as far as I know they are up and running as of now. :)

medik6- Thanks so much, it's nice to hear from someone else who has been in this situation. DH wants to know what class he was in at the Academy (he was in the class of 2000). I've looked at the paycharts- can't wait to be getting that O-1E paycheck (even that is a lot more than E-5).

• 1 month later...
Guest AdamSanes

I have read several journals about the briefs and etc. you have to give at OTS/UPT. I am not a very good at public speaking at ALL. I mean sometimes my voice is cracking I'm so nervous. Has anyone here made it through OTS being like this? Does everything kinda change when you get there and feel the pressure that you have to do it?

Guest flyguy13

There is pressure because they're graded measurements & if you fail 3 during your entire time there, you're either kicked out or recycled to the next class. Most people aren't as nervous as what you're describing. However, you're only briefing in front of your flight of 12-14 other people who you will know very well by the time it comes to give your briefings. That's a big help. I'm not the best briefer and I did fine. Just don't stress about it too much.

[ 22. July 2005, 10:30: Message edited by: ErikG ]

Good points. Remember, too, that most people get a little stage fright and that you're not expected to be perfect. Just know your topic and

prepare and practice. You'll learn what you need to know when you get there. Be confident, and if not, appear confident. That ability will help when you get to pilot training, too.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CabDriver

I am AD AF with 6 years working F-16 and A-10 weapons systems. I have yet to finish my degree and I am looking at ROTC (through AECP) to finish it up. But I was told that AECP is not the route to go for UPT. I have a family and don't want to go through the normal ROTC channel and be seperated from the AF. Would it be wise to finish my degree on my own time and try for OTS? I'm not sure of any other avenues out there. Also, would it be better to go through IFT get my private pilot cert or do it on my own prior to UPT? My goal F-15 or A-10 pilot. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Cab

I'm no expert on the subject, but I can tell you that ROTC is MUCH easier to get a pilot slot through than OTS. Especially if you don't already have your PPL. If you did decide to go OTS, I would recommend using the Montgomery GI Bill to get your PPL. I know a few AD guys that have done their PPL for free at a Part 141 school. The other avenues would be trying to go Guard or Reserve, but it sounds like you want to remain on AD. I'm sure others will have more specific info for you, but that's a start.

Guest CabDriver

Thanks for the info, I'll contact the education office and see what else I can do. I'm in the middle of Afghansitan right now so I've had tons of time to think this through and gather some info. I obviously have to wait until I get home to start my PPL but once again thanks.

Cab

Guest RookiePilot

I'd say go ROTC, I'm with 24, a B.S. in Aeronautical and Aerospace Eng. and M.S. Applied Math. But ROTC looks like the more guaranteed path, just my unexperienced, $.02.

For my last class in college I had to give a 25 minute power point pres. in front of an auditorium of people. Nearly shat my self for two straight weeks before that project was due. Once I got into it, the fear went away. It is all the pregame hype that sucks, but that’s normal. Fear of public speaking is the #1 fear in people. More than dying, more than flying , more than heights. It is a proven fact. Just try to calm down the best you can and let er rip. If you know your sh!t it will pour outta you.

Well my names alex and I am currently in high school and qould definately would rather go with the ots route rather than rotc but i understand thats its a lot more harder going the ots route what should i do.