Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

Originally posted by JS:

and as far as I know there has never been anyone who completely maxed out the run.

I (along with at least 2 others) in my class maxed it out. It's not that tough IMO.

As for doing well at OTS, research it and try to "figure it out." Realize also that if you arent put in positions of importance not because you're a weak leader but because you don't need the experience as much as some other people. For example, in my OTS class Rocker was identified as one of those people deficient in leadership skills so they made him an Upper Flight Commander. No problem though, I think he eventually made it.

Guest Dianna Hoover

My OTS class date was just moved from Jan 11 to Nov 16, and I had some plans made during the holidays. I am stoked about the new date, (the sooner, the better!), but would like to know for sure if we recieve any days off and how many? Any prior experiences or official web site info would be of great help. Thanks!

Guest rumblefish_2

I went to OTS back in 99 so things might have changed; but we pretty much had from Christmas to New Year's off if we wanted it. By the time it rolls around you probably won't have enough leave built up for as many days as you want, but they'll let you go into the red.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to be a dg from ots just ace all three academic tests, be good at giving speeches, get high sat or above on your graded leadership evolutions (LRC etc), max out the wussy pft test, and get a good upper class job. Lower flight commander is one of the best.

Of course, if you really want to prepare for a successful OTS experience, just do four years of ROTC first. You wouldn't believe how much it will prepare you.

Seriously, Rocker is right about OTS. Don't sweat the small stuff, and don't forget, it's all small stuff. None of it is that hard, and pretty much everybody graduates. If you do manage to graduate DG, about the only thing it's worth is a pat on the back - probably from yourself. It certainly doesn't mean jack sh1t in pilot training, and the only way anybody will even know how well you did is if you tell them. Man, I wish I had been a slacker like Rocker!

PS mike murph really did max out the run. Man, that guy is fast. Especially in the 400. His golf game needs some work, though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ifrflyer

Need some advice...

I am a former Marine. I will be attending AF OTS in about 6 weeks.

The question; I have about 3-4 pair of old Marine BDU's still in good shape. The problem is, on the pocket the Marines have an iron-on Marine symbol (eagle, globe, and anchor).

Would it be worth it for me to try and 1. dye over the symbol, 2. pull the name tape off the pants and use them? Or should I just toss them and start over.

If I am going to wreck a pair, I would rather not waste what will be issued to me new.

Thanks,

-ifrflyer

At OTS, they are pretty strict about uniform wear, so I would probably not chance it if your BDU's look less than perfect. On the other hand, I saw some prior E's at OTS who had some pretty worn down BDU's (and of course their old duty badges still on them). If you are going to be a pilot, I would just wear the ones they issue you there and after you get done with any casual between OTS and UPT, you will probably not wear BDU's many more times.

IFR

No, leave them at home, you can't use USMC BDUs in the USAF. They will issue you what you need.

Good luck at Maxwell, but I am sure you will do well...

Cheers! M2

p.s. By the way, I thought there was no such thing as a "former" Marine...once a Marine, always a Marine! You'd feel right at home where I am, we work for Gen Jones...

ifrflyer,

I made the same transition last year. I had one set of BDUs where the EGA was faded to the point that you had to get within two feet of my pocket to see it. That was the pair that I wore in the field. After that, I did go ahead and purchase two more sets for everyday ots wear. Being a flyer, that's a lot more BDU than I'll need for a while.

On that note, yes, I said "purchased"; you'll buy everything. There will be no assembly line that you walk through with your seabag open while things get tossed in at 11:30 at night. (Ah, the memories) So, if you want to get a leg up (sts), go ahead and start hitting the uniform shop now. The OTS web page has a list of exactly what you need. If you show up with nothing but a credit card, you're golden. www.airforceots.com has this and a lot of other unoffical, but sometimes usefull gouge.

SF.

• 4 months later...
Guest Tigerpilot

I would highly recommend taking a car to OTS even though you can't use it most of the time. Once you start earning privileges, both on and off-base, you'll definitely be glad you had it. Plus, you can store stuff that you might not need in it. I really don't know anyone who regreted bringing a car.

Car covers are always a good idea. I live in GA and have had some bad experiences with parking for long periods without a car cover. The paint was not as much of an issue as the interior. I had noticeable color change to my speakers in the back window and seats in the front. Not to mention that one of my work shirts got a bad brown tint to them from being left in the car. For the exterior, if you get bird crap on your paint, it will permanently dry after a while. Same with sap from trees or tar from the road. I don't know how often you wash your car at OTS, but this stuff can ruin your paint very easily. As for hail we just had a hail storm Monday that screwed some cars pretty royaly. They aren't that uncommon in the SE. You can find a cheap cover online, and it will most likely help you out. Just my .02.

Guest grsckoro

I'm up in the Northwest and really don't want to drive all the way down to AL..(if all works out going to OTS). But was curious from those that have been there done that. Would you suggest making the drive or just flying.

I drove and was very glad I did. It's nice to have a car so that you can get around on weekends. Trust me, you will want to leave on Saturday afternoon and not return until Sunday afternoon. Yeah, you can bum rides, but now you're stuck with someone else. I made great friends and usually partied with them Saturday night. But on Sunday I liked getting away on my own, seeing movies etc.

Also it's easier to pack (i.e. you can bring more stuff).

If you drive to OTS, you have your car with you. After OTS, you will PCS to your duty station/school and

1) you may or may not be given time to go get your car and

2) you won't be reimbursed for the expense of going to get your car

If you drive to OTS, you'll get reimbursed mileage and days of perdiem for the drive: literally the govt will pay you to bring your car now, but not after the fact.

Guest Tigerpilot

I know I covered my car during OTS, as did a bunch of other people there. It can be a pain if it blows off, but I'm glad I did because it definitely kept a bunch of the crap that blows around during the thunderstorms there off of my car.

My car survived a hailstorm/tornado at OTS. I didn't see a single cover on any cars out there. My car was COVERED in a filthy orange dirt after sitting there a few months-- but it all washed off in a rainstorm on my way here (Brooks).

• 2 months later...
Guest Merqutio

Can someone please point out the pros and cons of each commision method? I will be a graduate student soon, and the school I will be attending offers a two year ROTC program. Has anyone been through the two-year ROTC program? Is it basically the same at the 4-year ROTC program, but with a faster pace? I heard it is easier to get a pilot or nav slot via ROTC than OTS, is this true? How hard is it to get a pilot or nav slot through ROTC? Do you need a PPL for a pilot spot if you are going through ROTC?

I can help you with the last couple of questions. From what I have heard, ROTC is the easiest way to get a pilot slot(aside from the Academy of course). A PPL is not mandatory, but definitely beneficial, especially since you would be a two year cadet. Pilot slots in ROTC are still really competitive, but not to the extent that OTS is. There are tons of threads on ROTC and OTS, so a search could answer your first couple of questions. Good Luck!

Another difference is OTS is broken down into rated/tech and non-rated/non-tech boards. If you apply for pilot you'll apply on a rated board. The way the rated boards work you'll either be selected for one of the choices you put (can be pilot only, but you can also include any combination of nav and abm) or you won't be selected for OTS at all. ROTC does not work this way. If you do not get a pilot slot you would end up as an officer in a different job, and it could be entirely different from flying.

You could do what I did and apply to OTS thinking that if that didn't work out I'd find some way to go to that grad school I couldn't afford and do ROTC. I ended up getting into OTS. Of course, that meant taking a year+ "off" ~ from the time I first called a recruiter to the time I was accepted into OTS was nearly a year.. it was over 18 months until I was actually AT OTS and I could have got a grad school education in that timeframe!

Guest pierce79

OTS is extremely competitive right now. ROTC would definitely be the way to go. They are cutting class sizes every few months. If you want to go into a non-rated position, OTS barely selects any. OTS is basically there to catch any positions not filled by ROTC or the Academy.