Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

Guest AspiringPilot

You just posted in the other thread how you cant justify spending another year in college but yet are willing to fork out 5000$ for a PPL with the OTS selection being almost non existant. I think you need to come to reality here my friend, either do rotc and suck up the additional costs for an extra year or go to the Marine OCS program, i know 3 people that have successfully quit AFROTC and joined the marine OCS pilot program and have made it through.

Marine OCS is a possibility as well. $5,000 with the help from my grandmother, parents, and summer job vs, an extra $35,000 loan with interest for a 5th year of college= HUGE difference...

• 3 months later...

I've got a question, I was disenrolled form AFROTC for not getting an EA for FT 2011. I got a 6, "Other Remarks" on my DD form 785. My GPA was a 2.65 at the time of the PSP board. But now I have a 2.9 after a strong spring and summer sessions, and hope to get a above 3.0 after the fall semester. Does having a DD form 785 disquallify me for AF OTS or TDSP, and how well do I stand for it? I scored a 56 pilot 77 Nav 62 AA 25 Verbal 87 Quanitative on my first try on my AFOQT/

• 10 months later...

Is a PFT required before being selected for OTS (factoring into your PCSM score like it does in ROTC), or is that not part of your package?

No. For OTS, there is no PT requirement for entry. The first PT work you'll do will be after arriving. However, they expect you to be in pretty good shape when you arrive so that doesn't mean you can live on the couch swilling beer and donuts prior to arrival (although that does have its enjoyment factor...). The exception might be if you're an AD entry...your losing base may want you to have a current PFT before PCSing. That would be their rule, though, not an OTS rule.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can someone tell me what my chances look like with afoqt scores that are in the 15's? i am applying for ascp, pocerp, and soar. my gpa is 3.0 and i have some awards and one dec. i have been in 4 years and made ssgt first time....

can someone tell me what my chances look like with afoqt scores that are in the 15's? i am applying for ascp, pocerp, and soar. my gpa is 3.0 and i have some awards and one dec. i have been in 4 years and made ssgt first time....

• 10 months later...

Apologies if this issue has been discussed; couldn't locate it with the search.

I'm currently deployed and one of my troops (E5) is hoping to get picked up for OTS after finishing his degree. He is a sharp guy, good dude, but has a DUI on his record.

Is having a DUI a deal breaker for an AD enlisted guy applying for OTS? Any advice out there on a work around to this? The DUI is at least a few years old.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does it still suck in every aspect, just like it did years ago when I went?

My favorite memories are probably all of the lining up at the dining hall to try and hit your TOT +/- like 1 minute, or whatever it was. And getting smoked by instructors all along the walk through the quad and while trying to eat. Good thing I was a quick eater, but one dude on my flight was not, and he literally lost like 10 pounds in the first two weeks (due to some of the exercise too, I am sure, but he never came close to finishing a meal).

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I'm Air National Guard and was gearing up for AMS but I'm now scheduled for OTS 20 May 2014. No one in my unit has been to OTS recently and I have no gauge on it from a recent standpoint. Has anyone recently graduated who like to share some information to a non prior.

Are there a lot of non priors?

What should a non prior to do prepare?

I heard it was divided into 2 sections, for what reason?

What was the hardest aspect for you?

What would you recommend to bring beyond what's required?

What would you have done differently while you were there?

Dude have you been to this forum?

http://www.airforceots.com/portal/index.php

It has all the info on OTS you could ever want and a lot that you probably don't.

But anyway to answer some of your questions:

1. Yes, more than half I'd say.

2. Be in decent shape and have the airman's creed memorized. That's about it. Oh and have your finances in order cause you'll drop a bunch of money on uniforms within the first couple days.

3. Probably referring to the upper class/lower class system. When you get there there will be an upper class like 6 or 7 weeks ahead of you, and they will be largely in charge of managing you guys and showing you how everything works (mostly by yelling at the lower class). Then after a few weeks they graduate and it's just you and the instructors. Then after a couple more weeks a new class shows up and you are responsible for managing them.

4. Dealing with all the non priors. :beer:

5. A laptop and maybe a printer. Maybe some way of getting on the internet (mobile wi-fi hotspot or whatever), although I heard they were working on getting wi-fi installed in the dorms. Maybe there's more up to date info on the OTS forum about that. There are definitely lots of threads about what to bring.

6. Not much. Just make an effort to get along with the other people in your flight and be proactive getting stuff done for your guys. If you're the dude who just does your own shit and then goes to bed early every night, nobody is going to want to help you when you're struggling with something.

Edited by spaceman

• 1 month later...

From what I have heard non rated boards are suspended until further notice, but haven't gotten any concrete info about rated boards. I got in contact with an officer recruiter and said he expected a rated board to happen sometime this summer. Is anyone hearing this or hearing anything different? Thanks

From what I have heard non rated boards are suspended until further notice, but haven't gotten any concrete info about rated boards. I got in contact with an officer recruiter and said he expected a rated board to happen sometime this summer. Is anyone hearing this or hearing anything different? Thanks

All boards, both Rated and Non-Rated, are currently suspended until further notice. The general consensus seems to be that boards will open up again sometime in FY 15 (sooner rather than later in the FY), but no one really knows for sure and it could take some time for the AF to 'figure things out'.

I suggest you join us over at OTSportal.com (if you haven't already) while we all wait for an update to be announced (we have burgers and cold beer!).

All boards, both Rated and Non-Rated, are currently suspended until further notice. The general consensus seems to be that boards will open up again sometime in FY 15 (sooner rather than later in the FY), but no one really knows for sure and it could take some time for the AF to 'figure things out'.

I suggest you join us over at OTSportal.com (if you haven't already) while we all wait for an update to be announced (we have burgers and cold beer!).

I'll check it out! Thanks again for the info.

Lots of rumors flying around that OTS will be switching in FY15 to a similar model to what AMS has been. That would mean no upper and lower class. Could be an interesting development because it allows them to turn OTS off and on a lot easier. Especially right now since future selection boards have been indefinitely suspended, but there are probably about 200 selects from previous boards still sitting around waiting to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the FY15 Schedule may be up. No signed PDF but someone posted a screen shot. Dates below for those interested in possible schedule/rumor mill

15-01 - 8/6-10/10

15-02 - 9/17-11/21

15-03 - 10/15-12/19

15-04 - 1/7-3/13

15-05 - 2/11-4/16

15-06 - 3/18-5/21

15-07 - 5/27-7/31

http://www.airforceots.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=30207&start=75

• 3 weeks later...

Heard through the grapevine:

14OT03 rated 24 Jul cutoff
14OT04 non rated 22 Aug cutoff
15OT01 rated 15 Dec cutoff
15OT02 non rated 23 Jan cutoff

FY15 AFSC Requirements

RATED

Pilot: 0

CSO: 150

ABM: 20

RPA: 60

NON-RATED NON-TECH

13M: 1

13N: 40

13S: 25

21M: 1

35P: 1

65F: 6

NON-RATED TECH

15W: 16

32E1A: 1

32E1E: 2

32E1G: 2

32E1J: 2

61A1A: 1

61D1D: 8

62E1A: 3

62E1C: 3

62E1E: 20

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I heard now that since OTS eliminated the upper/lower class system it is now more similar to AMS. Because of this, the Reg Air Force and Reserve are considering AMS a legit source for training active and reserve guys. Anyone else hear about this?

• 1 month later...

I've been hearing a lot of different talk about the whether or not there are pilots slots for 15OT01. The "there are" variety tend to be prefaced with "my recruiter said." So who the hell actually knows. For what it's worth mine said "not at this time, but those needs change all the time." Anyone have further conjecture to offer?

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

• 4 weeks later...

My recruiter has been telling me for the last three months there could be or could not be pilot slots. Yesterday I was told there is upwards of maybe 40 slots available. Not trying to start rumors but just sharing what I've heard.

• 1 month later...