Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

Guest cbire880

If you are currently on Active Duty in the AF, then you will recieve an assignment to your casual base and SUPT base PRIOR to departing for OTS. If you choose to compete for ENJJPT, then your orders would be amended appropriately at that time. If you need a reference check out www.rs.af.mil/rsoc. Non-priors (like myself) recieve their assignments during OTS.

Originally posted by lcgsdmama:

So, would it be safe to say that you get your UPT base assignment about a month before you garduate?

I wouldn't bet on it. All the active duty non priors in my class got their orders at the end of week 10. It was rather frustrating, especially since the reserve and prior service guys had their assingments before they even started UPT.

• 1 month later...
Guest Liger

do OTS awards go on your "permanent record" that will be looked at by future promotion boards or are they completely useless, like when i was student council president in 5th grade?

There is no such thing as a "completely useless" aware in the Air Force. And everything, everything, everything goes on your "permanent record". But yeah, there are a lot of awards like spelling bee trophies.

Guest usafdave

I have been told my Blue Chip Award from OTS probably won't get used. Heck, maybe it can at least go o my first OPR.

from what ive been told, awards like these go into your record, and could end up helping in the long run if you develop a record of them, but as far as OPR bullets, if little awards are the best things you have to put on there, then you are screwed. but who knows...it definately won't hurt.

Guest PilotKD

I am not aware of any OTS awards going into ones record. OTS is fairly artificial and I doubt anything other than maybe "distinguished graduate" will end up in any of your records.

Originally posted by JVBFLY:

There is no such thing as a "completely useless" aware in the Air Force. And everything, everything, everything goes on your "permanent record". But yeah, there are a lot of awards like spelling bee trophies.

Have you actually looked at your "permanent record"?

There are a lot of retarded awards that are given out (CGO of the quarter, etc) which will never be documented in your personnel folder unless you make sure they're specifically documented on an OPR or Training Report.

If you get something that is documented on an OPR, then it becomes part of your personnel file. Otherwise, if it doesn't appear on the Training Report or isn't a Medal, then it DOES NOT go in your record.

Guest moester

What are the living arrangements during OTS? Am I going to have to be separated from my wife or can we live together while I go to OTS? How does that work?

Guest knof8

While in OTS you are in dorms, she cannot accompany you in the dorms, and you cannot live outside of the dorms. So yes, you two will be seperated.

If you can't handle the 3 months of seperation due to OTS how are you going to handle any kind of deployment?

Guest moester

Gotcha, I see what you guys mean. How much do you get paid while at OTS, UPT and on AD?

[ 03. August 2006, 10:22: Message edited by: moester ]

I got this one covered guys...

PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!

I only know it exists in search because I asked the same question and got the same answer. The military pay chart is found easily by typing in "military pay chart" in this search, or google. In OTS you are at an E-5 level I beleive, then when you graduate your either an O-1 or O-2. The pay is based on your rank and years in service. So an O-2 in UPT with less than 2 years makes the same base pay as an AD O-2 with less than 2 years. This does not take into account extra pay such as BAH or special pay.

I'm not in the military, all that is what I found from our search feature. =)

Guest moester

We are from Chicago, does that mean he would go to Alabama for OTS and I would have to wait here? I read that alabama isn't a place to bring loved ones. Why is that? How often do pilots get deployed vs stationed? Whatsthe typical amount of time for a pilot to be deployed?

[ 03. August 2006, 15:15: Message edited by: moester ]

knof8 said it best int eh last thread you asked...

"While in OTS you are in dorms, she cannot accompany you in the dorms, and you cannot live outside of the dorms. So yes, you two will be seperated.

If you can't handle the 3 months of seperation due to OTS how are you going to handle any kind of deployment?"

While I don't know personally, I would suspect he studies his arse off while she stays home and...umm....I dunno, my wife would shop. A LOT.

good luck. =)

[ 03. August 2006, 14:58: Message edited by: Fuse ]

Guest moester

we share the same username so that was him asking. I guess what I want to know is if I would have to live in a different state while he does that. Is the location of OTS that awful?

Well, as I said before, I only know what I've read, because I only hope to soon be there, BUT...

Even if you did live there, you would most likely not see him. Consider OTS as boot camp. He has a job to learn and they eiminate distractions - family is a distraction. They give you a palce to sleep, then tell you when to sleep there. You do not get leave while in OTS. Right after OTS he will be moving to his UPT base anyway.

Is the question your really asking "Can I see him at all while he's in OTS?" The answer is probably no. That is why people don't move thier family for OTS. I suppose you don't HAVE to wait there, but I bet he'd be pretty shocked if you wern't there when he got back.

Hope I helped a bit. By the way, I just moved away from Chicago last year... GO SOX!

[ 03. August 2006, 19:44: Message edited by: Fuse ]

Guest cbire880

That's assuming CONUS average BAH. If you live on base you won't get BAH and most places are far less than the CONUS average. Most were around $1100 for an O-1 with dependants (they don't make a distinction for number of dependants). DC, LA, and other cities where there aren't many AFB's must pull up the calculation.

Guest knof8

Part of what Fuse said is true and part is not.

He would have to go to AL and you can go wherever you want. You just cannot live with him on Maxwell AFB. Someone was making a joke (sort of) about AL not being a place you'd want to bring loved ones, so don't worry about that. Could you see him while he is at OTS, possibly. Certainly not during the first half when he is an underclassman. Even once he becomes an upperclassman he is not guaranteed off base privledges. So if you two were to make plans together they could just as quickly be yanked away by his mistakes or someone else's.

Your last two questions cannot be answered at least not for when he would be a pilot. Reasons being: who knows what states of conflict we will be in, each airframe has different lengths, and depending on what type of conflict we are in one airframe may be used much more than another.

Check out these two links http://www.officerfamilies.com/ and http://www.airforceots.com/ you will probably find better answers to some of your questions there.

Guest flychick

I don't know about any of the other wives, but I sure as heck wouldn't WANT to move to AL while my hubby was at OTS. The town is nothing to be proud of, and you really wouldn't see him for more than an hour at a time, on some days toward the end of his time there.

Take that time and go visit family, friends, and yes, go shopping. You'll be able to visit him a time or two, and really, that was enough of montgomery for me!