Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

Guest boson69
Originally posted by OldHercNav:

[QB]All applicants to UPT and UNT should refer to this reg as well

this is a good one! thanks.

I recently submitted a packet for an OTS pilot board in March (or so I'm told). I've read a lot about AD boards here, but am interested in the differences between the two. Is there an interview with the OTS board or is it based solely on your application/submission? Any other differences I should be aware of?

Guest miznitch

AD boards are for people who are already commissioned on Active Duty, OTS boards are for people who are civilians/not already commissioned officers.

This much I knew. The question is basically what can I expect next in the OTS application process? (I kinda mispresented my question originally.) Interviews? I've submitted my application to my recruiter earlier this week which will be presented to a board this March. What can I expect in the meantime?

Guest El Campion

A lot of waiting.

No interview.

Some more waiting.

Even more waiting.

Bam rasults are out.

Waiting for recruiter to call you with some good/bad news.

Did I mention waiting!

Frustation, because it will seem like everyone is finding out before you.

Sit tight and keep your mind off of it. Keep working towards that goal, because your packet could always be stronger. Think of any weak areas you might of had and work on that, for the "just in case part." Good luck.

[ 27. January 2006, 01:45: Message edited by: El Campion ]

Guest El Campion

OTS board 06-03 will take place on 11 Apr 06 with an estimated release date of 10 May 06. Results could be delayed and released in June, or they may come earlier than the estimaed result date. It all depends. You have some waiting to do.

Guest dpiddycanfly

Just wondering what is the typical time frame from when you get accepted to the time you actually leave for OTS?

Believe it is just under 1 yr. Depends on when you get your physical and security clearance done then they schedule an OTS date.

clearance needs submitted, not done. Often, the

real wait is waiting for your FC1 to clear. Then

you will wait 2 months to get a class, then about

4-6 months to start.

Guest dpiddycanfly

Thanks guys. Can anybody give me some personal examples of how long it took them from the time they received their pilot slot until they left?

Guest El Campion

OTS Board 05-05--10 May 05

Estimated realease date--3 Jun 05

Notified of selection--7 Jun 05

FC1 completed--11 Jul 05

FC1 "certified"--18 Jul 05

Clearance paperwork complete--14 Sep 05

Received class date--16 Sep 05

Report to OTS--23 May 06.

About 50 weeks after notification to actual class date.

Guest dpiddycanfly

Okay so, it was roughly an eight month wait for you. The reason I'm asking is this: I am applying on the April rated board so the results should be out in May 06. I am also getting married in Dec 06, so I was hoping that my leave date would be after that.

I was picked up in June of 04 and left that Sept. I was also a royal pain in my recruiter's a$$ and I think he wanted nothing more than to get rid of me. Whatever works!

Guest dpiddycanfly

Can you request that after you get selected? I've noticed the questions on the application that say, "When is the earliest you can commence officer training" but I want to get picked up on this next board and I'm afraid that if I put a later date that I won't be accepted til then. Does that make any sense?

Guest dpiddycanfly

You're absolutely right, and neither would I. I want to get picked up as soon as possible and I would go tomorrow if they would let me. This is something that I have wanted my entire life, but I can't be selfish either. My fiance has been very supportive of me and is willing to do whatever she has to do to make it work. It has always been her dream to have a December wedding and I don't want to wreck her dream just so I can make mine come true. Hopefully it'll all work out and we'll get to have both.

Guest pstephens

Here are the stats from last year when I categorized: The full post is here in What Are My Chances Forum.

Here are the categorization numbers for FY 06 if anyone is interested, enjoy:

#MetBoard/#Selected/%Selected/AVG OM/AVG GPA/AVG PFT

Pilot - 882/520/59.0%/84.28/3.24/94.07

Nav - 388/254/65.5%/74.97/3.03/91.74

ABM - 158/55/34.8%/73.23/3.11/89.50

[ 04. February 2006, 20:09: Message edited by: C17pilot2B ]