Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

They say you don't need any flight hours, but in reality you will need at least a ppl to be competitive with the other OTS guys. As far as OTS and ROTC are concerned you have to ask yourself what is more important, serving as an officer in the air force or flying. Both ROTC and OTS are very competitive and ROTC is probably the better and easier route to getting a pilot slot, but if you go the ROTC route and aren't selected as a pilot you will still owe them 4 years. If you go the OTS route and don't get it, you can turn around and fly in the civilian world. Something else to look at is the reshaping of the airforce. Its my understanding that the Air Force will be taking fewer and fewer pilots over the next 5 or so years...maybe even longer. If this is the case, 4 years from now they may only be taking ROTC and academy guys for pilot slots or even worse just academy guys.

Just a few things to think about.

Good luck to ya!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ryan Paul

This question is for the Reservists here:

I have been researching the threads at airforceots.com.

I've heard some rumors that it may be possible for me to borrow/rent a laptop for OTS from my sponsoring unit. I've also heard some references to uniforms being partially paid for. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? (perhaps this only pertains to UPT selectees that were a member of the unit prior to selection?)

Things are financially tight right now for me. Any responses are greatly appreciated.

[ 28. September 2005, 13:26: Message edited by: RJP ]

FWIW, I got my clothing stipend while at OTS, and I was non-prior. I'm also AD, so you may want to work this with your unit's finance folks.

Also, if it makes sense for you, USAA has a pre-commissioning loan up to 25k with 5k unsecured (do anything you want with the $). Don't have to start paying back on it for a year after you get the loan.

[ 28. September 2005, 21:22: Message edited by: JReyn ]

You should be able to get most of your uniform items before you leave. Your unit should know all about it. I took the list from the OTS website (plus some extra stuff I learned about from airforceots.com) and I filled out an AF656. My unit signed it and went to clothing to get it filled. The big problem was clothing didn't have a lot of the sizes, so either go well in advance of your OTS date or make arraigments to have it filled at a large base. My unit even took my receipts from the "extra"stuff they make you buy the first few days and I got some money back from it. You cannot get uniforms paid for by your unit down at Maxwell, plus it helps tremendously to have your stuff altered ahead of time. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jwebley

Im wondering is there and OTS manunal or handbook that is used during OTS. Basically i am looking to start studying up on the airforce customs and rules etc. to get a headstart befor i go to OTS.

Thanks

Guest miznitch

"Is there an OTS handbook"

There is a handbook that is used during OTS.... it is your trusty TALON. You will learn to HATE that damn little book! You will have plenty of time to read and re-read and re-re-read that stupid book while you are there!

Guest newflyer

they'll give it to you (STS FOR THE FIGHTER TYPES) when you get there. If I remember correctly, I've had more than a few tonight for thwe 06-01 drop CONGRATS!!! and am having a terrible time typing...thnakyou backspace, its called the talon.

• 3 weeks later...

Jester is right on with his statement. I would just like to emphasize a few things I have found out. I was in AFROTC, but didn't really enjoy it and that made me certain that I only wanted to be a pilot and didn't want to run the risk of a 4 year commitment doing something else. Since I got out of ROTC I have been able to work on a pretty good OTS application. I have my commercial, multi-engine, and instrument certificates and also CFI, CFII, and MEI certificates. Also I have taken the AFOQT and got a 96 on both Nav and Pilot areas and a PCSM score of 96. I currently have 700 flight hours, but keep in mind you dont get a higher PCSM score with more than 200 hours. Basically what I'm getting at is Go to the AF academy if you can, then go to ROTC, or go OTS if you really have the motivation to put together a super OTS package. Personally I don't want a commitment in the Air Force unless I can fly, so OTS is the best possible option for myself.

Just keep in mind whatever you do most pilot come from the academy then ROTC and finally OTS if they still need any.

Guest PilotKD

You need to ask yourself if you want a flying career, whether it be Air Force or commercial aviation. If you want to fly for a living, period, doing ROTC imposes abit more risk. Getting a pilot slot is easier, but if you don't get one, you're in the Air Force for 4 years doing something you may not want to do, while you could be building flight time towards a commercial flying job. Now, keep in mind the commercial aviation industry is not in the best of shape and it takes much patience and hard work to get a commercial flying job with a Part 121 or 135 carrier. I'm talking $40,000+ worth of flight training and at least a year or two of civilian flight instructing to build time (making $20,000 a year vs $35,000 as a 2nd LT). In my opinion it's like going to Vegas. It's a gamble. An OTS slot is hard to get, but less gamble (you'll also have to pay for your education). In 2001, there were about 120 OTS pilot slots for the year. That's for the whole country (which is not much!). I'd also look at the ANG and Reserves.

It is much more difficult to get a pilot slot through OTS than ROTC or the AFA. If you're in high school right now, I would recommend the ROTC route. It's not difficult and you have a much better chance of picking up a pilot slot compared to OTS. Last year the national selection rate for pilot slots in ROTC was around 52% I believe. I'm not sure if some detachments just had a horrible selection rate but the ones I know of, including the one I'm at, have all had a 60-70%+ selection rate, which is very good if you ask me.

AFA is also another route, but that is if you want to live that type of life style for four years. Either way you go, you'll end up with gold bars when you graduate and hopefully doing what you wanted to.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Go ROTC man. The Det here has had above 90% since I was a freshman. Sure the national average is 50%, but that's when you take into account all the guys that applied who either don't have a shot in hell, or just didn't get that GPA up enough, etc. If you work hard enough and do decently school, you'll most likely get one. And yes, everyone's saying the worst thing is you could spend 4 yrs in the AF doing something else. Well look at it this way, you'll at least have a guaranteed job for 4 yrs w/ decent pay and good benefits. Then after 4 yrs (you'll only be 26), you can easily start working towards the civilian flying world. Or, maybe w/in those 4 yrs you pick up an AD flying slot. You never know.

Point being, the risk in ROTC (of not getting a slot) is not too high unless you just slack off and don't give much effort into it. Worst case, you get a great, guaranteed job for 4 years that will look awesome anywhere in the civilian world. Much better than all my civilian friends who have no idea what the hell they're going to do when they graduate in May.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TXbrittany

Before OTS, you know your position whether it be pilot, navigator, etc., correct? Then once you know what you are, you sign a contract and go to OTS.

I'm having a debate with my boss who thinks you have to sign a contract, go through OTS and then they choose what you do.

Who's right? And how long has it been this way? Thanks!

Guest flynwithstyle

You will get a phone call first letting you know that you have been selected. Then once you clear the physical you get a class date. Your class date orders state when and where you are to report and what you are selected for. This is before you sign.

Guest PilotKD

You apply for a career field and know before going if you've been selected or not. You can pack up and go home at any time before getting commissioned and they pay you E-5 pay while you're there.

Guest flecth033

Your boss might be thinking about OCS for the Marines. Unless you sign a aviation contract, you will not know what you are going to get when you go to OCS. That is the Marines, not the Air Force.

Hey all...I'm heading to Maxwell as part of OTS 0607B and I really want to get into ENJJPT. When during OTS do you apply? How many apply and how many get selected? If you went that route, what did they look for? Any information would be great.

You'll apply around the midway point if I remember correctly. In my class we had 22 pilots and one ENJJPT slot. The slot went to a total tool who had the most hours out of all of us. Talked to a few of the FTOs and they said that that was pretty standard.

With the classes being so small these days (I'm told) I'm not sure if it's changed. Good luck.

Guest marphtwo

Is it necessarily a bad thing if the interview was short?

I had my interview today and it lasted about 20/25 minutes and I only saw him write about 5 bullets. Do they write more bullets after you are gone?

Thanks

[ 01. December 2005, 15:22: Message edited by: Matt E ]

Guest dustanas

In my experience, the longer an interview (of any type) has gone, the better I have felt about it and the better the outcome. But, honestly, you never know. Every person who conducts an interview is different.

As far as the interviewer writing stuff down...when I had my OTS interview it didn't seem like the interviewer wrote TOO much down. But down the road when I spoke to my recruiter about the interview he said I had done really well. Don't stress about it, there's nothing you can do about it now and if it doesn't work out you can try again next time.

Tweet your right, you apply around half way through. The decision, from what I remember, is not made on flight experience at all. It's made on who performs the best at OTS. The guy from my upper class was an amazing leader and got his ENJJPT slot. The guy from my class was a prior marine who also worked his ass off and did well at OTS. So point is, don't worry about flight experience, just do as well as you possibly can at OTS, this means playing all the stupid games. By the way, when I was at OTS, only one person from each class was selected for ENJJPT

Does anyone know off the top of their head where I can find the number of spots for each AFSC projected for the Spring 07 grads? I checked on the BaseOps website but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!