Contact  |  Baseops Wiki  |  Military Pay  |  Military Discounts  |  Air  Force UPT  |  Aviation  Jobs   |  Aviation  Medicine   |  Pilot Supplies  |  Donate

• Create Account

- - - - -

Info on PCSM scores

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Chick_*

Guest_Chick_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:59 PM

If anyone is interested in this study you can review it at:
www.hec.afrl.af.mil/publications/ISAP_97R.doc.pdf

#22 Guest_Mumphy24_*

Guest_Mumphy24_*

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:46 PM

So the PCSM is made up of the AFOQT, BAT, and flight hours? You scared me when you said that a PPL wouldn't get a 50! But that was just with the PPL alone not including the AFOQT and BAT.

#23 Guest_Patriot 328_*

Guest_Patriot 328_*

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:21 PM

So I found my AFOQT grades on the randolph site where does one find their PCSM scores? I'm dealing with an enlisted recruiter and he actually does not know. So I guess I will hear back from him or someone else in the unit sometime next week. I only took the BAT three days ago.

Thanks in advance.

#24 Guest_Patriot 328_*

Guest_Patriot 328_*

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:25 PM

Ok by now you all think I'm nuts for answering my own posts but, the anticipation was killing me!

heres the link for the PCSM Grades
http://www.aetc.rand...heckScore/check score.htm

I'm feeling a lot better now!

#25 Guest_cmlbaseball_*

Guest_cmlbaseball_*

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:39 PM

I know there have been a million post already about PCSM scores and how they affect your pilot selection process....I want to clear something up though...Im not so sure that in some cases it is that important. I'll be dead honest...I had a PCSM score of 15, with zero flight hours....hell I don't even know how to turn the plane on...I read about how concerned everyone is about this score...in my opinion and in my case it really wasn't that big of a deal. Is this the case?? Im a firm believer in that your Unit Commander's rating is what matters most. I did not have outstanding numbers but still got my slot, so there is hope out there for everyone....Anybody have thoughts on this???

#26 backseatdriver

backseatdriver

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:55 PM

It depends on your commissioning source. In ROTC, you're correct, your CC ranking is much more important than PCSM. However, for OTS/guard types, PCSM is of much higher importance.
Rage against the machine one reflective belt at a time.

#27 Guest_RaptorwannaB_*

Guest_RaptorwannaB_*

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:09 PM

I'm not sure percentage wise for OTS but for ROTC it counts as 15% of the total 100 point OM score. UCR is 50% (the big chunk) GPA is 15, the PFT is 10 and Filed trianing is 10 as of now. Last year I heard the lower end cutoff for pilot was almost an 83 OM which is about 10 points higher than it was in the previous years. If you are before FY-05 then it is conceivable to have a much lower PCSM and just be good in the other things and still make it fine. As of last year, if you didnt have an above average PCSM, you would probably need to be like 1 or 2 in your class wth a very very good GPA, SP or DG in field training.. you get the picture. Those 15 points can or break you more easily now.

#28 Born a Longhorn

Born a Longhorn

Crew Dawg

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

backseatdriver is correct, PCSM is a fairly big deal for OTS/Guard/Reserve guys.

#29 GreasySideUp

GreasySideUp

Flight Lead

• Super User
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:17 PM

If your PCSM blows and you have no connections you will not get an interview with a guard unit. There are a hundred other dudes that look as good as you do on paper and the PCSM is just one more way to weed people out.

-j
If you don't apply, you have a 100% chance of not getting selected.

#30 Guest_cmlbaseball_*

Guest_cmlbaseball_*

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

That makes more sense to me now. I didn't realize that the guard put such an empashis on it. Im an FY05 ROTC guy myself obviously, and Im pretty sure the other categories saved me from my PCSM score being low. Thanks for the info that was pretty helpful!

#31 ChkHandleDn

ChkHandleDn

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:13 AM

Has anyone had their PCSM dropped due to their retaking of the AFOQT? I'm trying to decide whether or not to retake the AFOQT. My fear is that if I do worse on the new AFOQT my PCSM will drop dramatically.

#32 brabus

brabus

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:15 AM

Yeah, it could happen. What's your PCSM right now and what's your Pilot AFOQT score right now?
When the beer light is turned on, as far as I'm concerned, that is a direct order from the boss to drop what I'm doing and go get ripped - Rocker

#33 ChkHandleDn

ChkHandleDn

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:16 AM

PCSM: 97
AFOQT P: 73
N:62

#34 ChkHandleDn

ChkHandleDn

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:17 AM

I'm trying to go Guard, and I know they look highly at AFOQT scores (at least I think they do). I just don't want to screw myself over both ways. At least this way my PCSM is somewhat competitive.

#35 brabus

brabus

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:19 AM

Yeah, on one hand, I wouldn't f*ck w/ your stuff...97 PCSM is obviously practically perfect. I would 100% stay w/ that, but I'm ROTC. It does seem that the guard/reserves look much harder at actual AFOQT scores (instead of like us where it doesn't matter as long as your PCSM ends up good). Guess you'll have to see what the guard/reserve pros say.
When the beer light is turned on, as far as I'm concerned, that is a direct order from the boss to drop what I'm doing and go get ripped - Rocker

#36 Login Name

Login Name

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:32 AM

I wouldn't take it again with those scores. But I did retake the test and my scores jumped compared to the old one.

#37 Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

I've read on that "other" site that when calculating the PCSM score for a civilian without a PPL, 40 hours or so of flight time is factored into the score if the total flight hours are less than that. Is that true? I took the BAT this morning, got my score back, and the score listed at the top as my PCSM score is less than that listed if I were to have 41-60 hours. Does the board look at all the scores, and take the 40 hours score into account, or only look at the actual PCSM listed at the top? Do they really factor in the 40 hours, or is that simply wishful thinking?

#38 Guest_priorAF_*

Guest_priorAF_*

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:59 PM

Ther is something called PCSM-IFT which shows you what your score would be after Initial Flight Training. I am fairly sure the board looks at your actual PCSM score. YOu have to remember that someone with the actual 40 hrs would probably get the slot over someone with none-- with all factors even.

#39 brabus

brabus

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

In reality, PCSM is so small that if that was truely the deciding factor, you really just screwed yourself big time in other areas (i.e. GPA, CC's ranking, PFT, AFOQT).

#40 Guest_USMCBill_*

Guest_USMCBill_*

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

I looked around but couldnt find the answer perhaps someone could shed some light. I understand that a portion of this score accounts for prior flying experience. I have a my ppl with just under 50 hours, but I'm also a CH-53 aircrew member with several hundred hours of flight time. We [enlisted aircrew] also have log books like our pilots. Would I be able to add this time to my score? The Randolf website states this portion simply measures experience and I would think mine would cout. Any info will be greatly appriciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users