Info on PCSM scores

Guest nuclearj

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RaptorwannaB

I'm not sure percentage wise for OTS but for ROTC it counts as 15% of the total 100 point OM score. UCR is 50% (the big chunk) GPA is 15, the PFT is 10 and Filed trianing is 10 as of now. Last year I heard the lower end cutoff for pilot was almost an 83 OM which is about 10 points higher than it was in the previous years. If you are before FY-05 then it is conceivable to have a much lower PCSM and just be good in the other things and still make it fine. As of last year, if you didnt have an above average PCSM, you would probably need to be like 1 or 2 in your class wth a very very good GPA, SP or DG in field training.. you get the picture. Those 15 points can or break you more easily now.

Guest cmlbaseball

That makes more sense to me now. I didn't realize that the guard put such an empashis on it. Im an FY05 ROTC guy myself obviously, and Im pretty sure the other categories saved me from my PCSM score being low. Thanks for the info that was pretty helpful!

• 8 months later...

Yeah, on one hand, I wouldn't f*ck w/ your stuff...97 PCSM is obviously practically perfect. I would 100% stay w/ that, but I'm ROTC. It does seem that the guard/reserves look much harder at actual AFOQT scores (instead of like us where it doesn't matter as long as your PCSM ends up good). Guess you'll have to see what the guard/reserve pros say.

• 4 months later...

I've read on that "other" site that when calculating the PCSM score for a civilian without a PPL, 40 hours or so of flight time is factored into the score if the total flight hours are less than that. Is that true? I took the BAT this morning, got my score back, and the score listed at the top as my PCSM score is less than that listed if I were to have 41-60 hours. Does the board look at all the scores, and take the 40 hours score into account, or only look at the actual PCSM listed at the top? Do they really factor in the 40 hours, or is that simply wishful thinking?

Guest priorAF

Ther is something called PCSM-IFT which shows you what your score would be after Initial Flight Training. I am fairly sure the board looks at your actual PCSM score. YOu have to remember that someone with the actual 40 hrs would probably get the slot over someone with none-- with all factors even.

• 1 month later...
Guest WannabeLT

No way to tell for sure, because no one knows the exact formula to the PCSM. With that being said, once you have taken the AFOQT and BAT, you will be able to check your score online. The score sheet has a chart that shows how additional flight hours will change your PCSM score. For instance, I have a 98 PCSM and between 41-60 flight hours. My chart shows me jumping to a 99 if I reach the next category of flight time(61-80 flight hours). I'm probably a bad example, so I'm sure others will chime in the clear things up. Hope I helped you a little.

Guest KoolKat

If you search for "pilot hours PCSM" you'll find hundreds of thread that talk about that.

It'll go into OMs and PCSMs and everything you ever wanted to know about it, and alot you don't.

Personally, I think flight hours show motivation/dedication to your goal much more than they do uping a number.

Give that 'ole search function a go at this one...that serach function button is one smart MFer!

BENDY

• 4 months later...
Guest USMCBill

I looked around but couldnt find the answer perhaps someone could shed some light. I understand that a portion of this score accounts for prior flying experience. I have a my ppl with just under 50 hours, but I'm also a CH-53 aircrew member with several hundred hours of flight time. We [enlisted aircrew] also have log books like our pilots. Would I be able to add this time to my score? The Randolf website states this portion simply measures experience and I would think mine would cout. Any info will be greatly appriciated.

In basic laymans terms, it's time you are sitting in front of a set of controls that actually make the airplane go up and down.

CFI instructing - counts

Student watching an instructor fly logging dual time - counts

Sitting at the nav table looking at the radar screen - doesn't count

Gettin' some behind a minigun - doesn't count

Guest waxgoblin
Originally posted by Scooter14:

Student watching an instructor fly logging dual time - counts

When I start flying at school, I think I am in a flight class of me, another student, and the instructor. We will be flying piper arrows... if I'm in the back seat, watching them two, would I get hours just like the other student? I'm probably stretchin it.

[ 12. August 2006, 18:28: Message edited by: waxgoblin ]