Info on PCSM scores

Guest nuclearj

Guest nuclearj

Anybody know what is considered a "good" PCSM score? I know it is a "whole person" concept to get accepted, but any additional info on this subject...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lewisflyboy

Is the Military Flight Aptitude Test book the best one to prepare for the test or are there better material out there? In addition, I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a copy of the T-3 airplane flight manual so I could study ahead of time. If anyone has one, I would be willing to buy it from you.

thanks for you time and help,

kevin

Guest nuclearj

B82-Welcome to the board, I think you will find that there is a wealth of info in here. To answer some of your questions... The PCSM score is a combination score that the AF uses to predict your success in UPT. From what I can tell ,it uses your BAT test score, your flight hrs, GPA, and AFOQT Pilot Composite score. However, it is just one part of your package to the pilot selection board (PSB). Another important score is your AFOQT scores, especially your pilot composite. As for the flight training, I have not been there yet, but I have done a lot of research on it. Maybe someone else on this board that has done it will give you additional info. Flight training basically lasts 52 weeks, 5-6 days a week, 12 hr days + eve study times. For the AF you start off in the T-37 or the newer T-6 Texan. After that everyone in your class is racked and stacked according to class rank and you either get fighter/bomber or airlift/tanker or rotor. The folks in f/b track fly the T-38 while the folks that go a/t track will be in a T-1. Anyway, at the end of the 52 weeks, you move on to your selected specific aircraft for additional training in that particular model. There is also a great 3 part video online that you can watch. I'll find it and post the link here.

Guest nuclearj

B82-Basically the process works like this (in a nutshell)

-College degree

-Study for AFOQT

-Contact Officer recruiter in your area

-Schedule & take AFOQT/Fill out forms

-MEPS Physical

-Take Basic Attribute Test(BAT)

-Complete your application package (letters of rec., resume, forms forms and forms, essay, etc..)

-Do interview with officer

-and I rec. going ahead and doing your military flight physical as well

-then after everything gets done and your scores look good, your package gets sent down to the board. Then off to OTS and UPT you go. I'll be glad to give you more info, just let me know.

• 1 month later...

As indicated, I think it greatly depends on which commissioning source you're coming from. ROTC pilot slots are not nearly as competitive (numbers wise) as OTS pilot slots. I got in through OTS with a 98 AFOQT pilot / 96 PCSM. Someone will bust me on this I'm sure since there are always exceptions, but I'd say you won't see too many going into pilot training through OTS without AFOQT pilot and PCSM scores at least in the upper-70's/lower-80's. And it's getting even harder for OTS now that ROTC is cranking out more people.

Guest cixelsyd

For what it's worth, my current recruiter said that they don't like sending an app in unless it has a PCSM of 80+. So get the flight hours if you can afford it. Also, I thought I heard something about retaking the BAT being allowed now. That is a possibility to increase your score.

Guest nuclearj

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm currently working on the flight time and maybe even a retake in 6 months or so...

Guest EZ206PILOT

I think it just depends on the unit you are trying to get into and how well they know you. I got my pilot slot with a 96.

Recently, the rules changed for PCSM. A pilot candidate must have a Min. 50 PCSM to submit a package. Waivers are available.

Guest Mumphy24
Recently, the rules changed for PCSM. A pilot candidate must have a Min. 50 PCSM to submit a package. Waivers are available.
How many flight hours does it take to get a 50? Will a PPL suffice? Thanks.

Even 200+ flight hours alone will not earn a 50 on PCSM. Just start playing video games - that is the only thing that will help your BAT score - which is a VITAL part of your PCSM.

By the way, My pilot AFOQT score was good and I have a lot of flying hours but my PCSM is way low because of the BAT test. I got a waiver and am up for Pilot.

Guest Dirt Beater

Chick,

Where did you hear about the minimum 50 PCSM from? Is it taking effect in the "Big Week" AFROTC categorization board in March? Thanks

I learned of the 50 min. PCSM from my recruiter who told me it was a recent change. (I believe since 12/03?) I know it's true because I had to get a waiver for my PCSM (Nightmare)!

I have read plenty of postings about Pilots who were selected with single digit PCSM's but I think they were selected before the new 50 min. was in place.

The USAF has also commissioned formal studies (published) on the AFOQT/BAT testing differences between sexes. Men test statically signifigantly higher than women on both tests. Being female, I think my research aided me in getting the waiver.

Guest Mumphy24

So the PCSM is made up of the AFOQT, BAT, and flight hours? You scared me when you said that a PPL wouldn't get a 50! But that was just with the PPL alone not including the AFOQT and BAT.

• 2 months later...
Guest Patriot 328

So I found my AFOQT grades on the randolph site where does one find their PCSM scores? I'm dealing with an enlisted recruiter and he actually does not know. So I guess I will hear back from him or someone else in the unit sometime next week. I only took the BAT three days ago.

Thanks in advance.

• 8 months later...
Guest noobster

Ok lets say that I am working on my PCSM score and I need to get some flight hours. Can I have a friend (that is not an instructor) take me up and tell me how things work and get to log the hours I spend with him? Thanks in advance!

Don't sweat the flight hours. Getting a few hours logged is a waste of time and money. My entire Detachment was 11 for 11 in pilot slots. 2 had private licenses; 1 had a PCSM of 96! No one else at the Det had any hours. Concentrate on your PFT, GPA, BAT Score and AFOQT (if you haven't taken). You have more control over those inputs than anything else.

A few hours won't even make a dent in your PCSM.

• 1 month later...
Guest cmlbaseball

I know there have been a million post already about PCSM scores and how they affect your pilot selection process....I want to clear something up though...Im not so sure that in some cases it is that important. I'll be dead honest...I had a PCSM score of 15, with zero flight hours....hell I don't even know how to turn the plane on...I read about how concerned everyone is about this score...in my opinion and in my case it really wasn't that big of a deal. Is this the case?? Im a firm believer in that your Unit Commander's rating is what matters most. I did not have outstanding numbers but still got my slot, so there is hope out there for everyone....Anybody have thoughts on this???