Resume and cover letter info

Guest JPritch

www.flyguardconsulting.com

You have to pay a fee, but from the description, it sounds well worth it as the info is from a guy who sits on a Viper selection board.

If you can make the search function work on Studentpilot.net, an ANG Viper selectee posted a link to his resume and cover letter. The guy was 23 years old w/ 43 hrs flight time, so he must have done something right. Not sure if the link is still valid though.

• 4 months later...
Guest brrttshwn

I am just starting to send out resumes to different units I am interested in joining. I was wondering if there are specific attributes that they are looking for. Obviously, I will put those that I think relate to being a pilot. Are there any others that should be included?

Again, thanks for your feedback and continued help.

Happy flying

Guest AirGuardian

They're looking for the Master race! ALL Kidding aside, we(most units) are looking for the complete package so to speak! Great attitude, confidence, ability to answer questions quickly and accurately during the interview regarding your background and so forth. Meaning: some people search too long for the so-called right answer, just be yourself and sell yourself. Each and everyone of you have lived different lives and have unique experiences in various forms. Example: Your work experience doing numerous jobs to pay the bills/school bills/family bills during hardships. This relates to a question such as: "What has been the most trying event in your life and how did you overcome/work through it?" Plenty of other background questions will be asked I'm sure. As far as the paperwork: Good recommendations ride high in marks, extra-curricular activities such as community service in any form - church stuff, big-brother/sister programs, flt instructor(if you have the time), toys-for-tots, even blood donor issues have been disscussed. Plenty of experiences relate to your overall charachter! Be relaxed and confident since the interview is confusing to most. Good luck and you really don't need to pursue all of the afore mentioned items, just trying to memory-jog a few things for any/all applicants out there!

I will ditto what AG mentioned about letters of recommendation. The letters do weigh into the decision. I had three - from current and former commanders and my -172 flight instructor (who happened to be OGV/CC at the time). My unit called all of them after my interview, before the final decision. Some units may not call, but just prepare the people you get letters from so they're not surprised if/when they get a call.

• 4 months later...
Guest TigerFlyer

As I prepare to send out my UPT application packets, I've noticed that many units require a cover letter. Can anyone elaborate as to what they are looking for in this letter, i.e. generic or a dissertation on goals with the air force. Also..what is AF Form 24?

Thank you for the help.

Guest AirGuardian

"Goals with the Air Force?" I'm not going to assume this is for Guard/Reserve as I should with the "many units require a cover letter" statement. Should I? And if so, let us know what type of units if you will be shotgunning your application out too?

Guest TigerFlyer

ANG fighter units at the moment. I'm 24 and looking to compete for a slot with the ANG. I've taken AFOQT and BAT. Just lacking the cover letter for the packet. Found a email thread that helped, but just trying to determine what sort of letter they expect.

Guest AirGuardian

From what I have seen and done,

A few paragraphs on who your are, what you have done(any experience that may correlate), where you are in life, and how you will be an asset to the unit through dedication and motivated work ethic basically. A good site picture on exactly who TigerFlyer is and what the unit will be gaining as an individual and team player! At least that's my experience on reviewing numerous packages and setting up boards for UPT candidates and prior flyer hopefuls. Don't forget those exceptional recommendation letters to help solidify you as an asset to hire! Keep at it and never give up! Godspeed!

-AG

[ 23. June 2004, 10:57: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

• 1 year later...
Guest ohiopilot

Hi folks. First of all, let me thank all of you here for providing such great info. It's hard to find much out online about the ANG process as opposed to AD AF.

I've done the searches of the BaseOps.net site and the Forums here and haven't yet found much on this topic. I am getting my resume together for a visit to a local ANG base on Thursday and I'm trying to decide what to put on it. My guess would be normal resume stuff (schools, employment, objective, & hobbies) along with private pilot flight experience.

Thanks for any tips regarding this matter. Keep up the great informational posts!

Well I haven't served on a board, but I did get my slot in December with a fighter squadron as a civilian with no prior military service and or interviews with anyone else.

The resume is pretty important and I would reccomend finding a way to put everything on it that helps describe who you are. They are very concerned with this and whether or not you'll fit into the squadron. My unit didn't really care that I didn't have my private (50 hours though), but I've heard differently about other units. We had an entire weekend to attend for the interview process and it all boiled down to just letting them know who we are. It kind of sucks that the selection critia can be so vague, but it's the truth. If you have more questions feel free to spit them out.

What unit are you applying to?

Guest ohiopilot

THanks, Spit. Could you let me know what all you put on yours? I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm 26 with a BA, good job (but not fullfilling, at all) with a wife and baby. I have 180hrs TT with my IR and an airplane. I fly a lot (~100hrs/yr) for fun and biz, but I love it.

I'm glad to hear that someone got a slot from the outside. Everyone I've talked to around me (a few F-16 slots) were already ANG guys - crew chief, etc.

It really sounds like they are looking at the whole person instead of a pile of papers. I am hoping to visit all the local ANG bases this month...my first will be next Wednesday (moved from tomorrow).

Thanks again and any advise (via forum or Private Message) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest LwNSlo

Hey OhioPilot,

Here is what I did with my resume and it worked to get me hired. Pretty standard layout that I sent to all the units I applied to and would tweak it as necessary if a unit had specifics it wanted on it.

Objective Statement: why you want to fly guard

Education: college and high school stats

Flight Training: I.E. afoqt scores,

BAT score,hours, medical status

Work Experience: current and past professional

Activities and Achievements: self explanatory

Summer Jobs:

Hobbies:

References:

This is a rough sketch of my categories and hopefully this will get the process started for you.

Guest sleepy
Originally posted by OhioPilot:

I have 180hrs TT with my IR and an airplane. I fly a lot (~100hrs/yr) for fun and biz, but I love it.

OP--I had an airplane. I figured no big deal, it's not worth mentioning. Somehow, though, it came up in the interview about how I accrued all my time. I told them I just enjoyed flying, and having my own airplane allowed me to fly at my leisure. The board was impressed that I actually owned an airplane, so make sure it is known without gloating. I was selected an alternate, I now have a slot. Good luck!

For others in this boat: Buying an airplane is a LARGE undertaking that requires many sacrifices--well, it did for me, at least. But don't be afraid of it--just do your homework. If you can somehow swing it, you'll build a lot of time, learn a ton, impress folks (boards and girls), and in the long run save a load of cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been preparing my guard packages with a civilian style resume layout. However, my Wing's Exec wanted to look at my packages and informed me that I need to do a military resume for the Guard units I'm applying to. What resume style do the units prefer? Does it matter? I'm leaning towards civilian since it shows the whole person experience--before I was in the military and after. The military one just seems to focus on military experience.

Thanks.

[ 19. March 2006, 11:42: Message edited by: lagguer ]

Guest PilotKD

All they want is to see your history on paper. They're not looking for anything cosmic. If you've got work history/experience as a civilian, I'd make it a little bit of both. Do a search on resumes and see what's out there. There are a few examples here on Baseops.net (the one by "Phrogpilot" for example). As long as it's laid out logically and looks decent, no typos, etc... they're not going to hold it against you. They're going to pick you over the next guy by looking at your qualities on the paper, not by what format your resume is in. Use the typical, "Objective, Flight Experience, Work Experience, Education, Awards and Decorations" etc... You can incorporate both military and civilian experience into a "civilian type" resume.

[ 21. March 2006, 23:09: Message edited by: PilotKD ]

• 9 years later...

Choose a type of cover letter that matches your reason for writing. Your cover letter may make the difference between obtaining a job interview or having your resume ignored. Your resume should showcase your knowledge of data, the latest tools and of course all the trends. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey everyone so I'v been doing a lot of research on this site to craft my cover letter and resume, but not entirely sure I hit the nail on the head with it.Would anyone that has been there and been successful with their letter and resume mind giving mine a one over? Let me know and I can PM it to you. Thanks a bunch in advance