Does your degree/major matter?

Ryder1587

Thanks for the reply. So I'd just be competing in different year? I wouldn't have to push my field training or anything else back (besides commisioning date)? and I would be an 800 (or whatever it is) after my 400 year?

You would most likely have to push everything back. I know I'm having to repeat a year because of it. Luckily enough, I got it so that I am taking a semester off so that I won't have to sit through the same stuff next year. You will probably have to end up repeating your 100 year next year, or you could just take next year off and join up at your new school as a 200. Since you will have already gone through as a 100 they shouldn't have any big problems with that.

But, on a side note, you're only a freshmen and my guess is you haven't taken too many, if any, major specific classes so I wouldn't doubt that you would be able to transfer to a new institution and keep yourself in the same graduating class.

If I were you, I'd get on the ball and hook up with the new school you want to go to. Get a meeting or get on the phone with their transfer counselor and have her/him check on if all your classes will flow right into a business degree(etc.) plan. Then talk with the Cadre at the new detachment to make sure you won't have any problems there. Just make sure you get everything worked out early so you aren't scrambling to get everything in order come summertime.

Edited by Tertle

Guest Rainman A-10
Either way, get a technical degree, if the USAF doesn't work out, you make more money!

Not true. Not true at all.

Guest Rainman A-10
Aiight, I'm sure you're all right.........The people I knew were Enlisted going for OTS. You are all correct, the degree does not matter if you dont want a scholarship, but why wouldn't you?? A technical degree will never help you, in pilot training or not. (Sarcasim) The Air Force doesn't want technical degrees, of course not. (again...sarcasim) I've already been flying for the USAF for 6 years, went through ROTC (Electrical Engineering) and have no idea what I'm talking about. (again.....)

Dude, challenge yourself and do something difficult. You'll be a smarter person and more ready for pilot training or another job if you're not that lucky! (Remember, needs of the AF) Paid off for me, 6 years in the F-16! Nothing that is good for you is easy, as my pappy used to say.......................

Worst and most innacurate post I've ever seen.

Douchebag.

Aiight, I'm sure you're all right.........The people I knew were Enlisted going for OTS. You are all correct, the degree does not matter if you dont want a scholarship, but why wouldn't you?? A technical degree will never help you, in pilot training or not. (Sarcasim) The Air Force doesn't want technical degrees, of course not. (again...sarcasim) I've already been flying for the USAF for 6 years, went through ROTC (Electrical Engineering) and have no idea what I'm talking about. (again.....)

Dude, challenge yourself and do something difficult. You'll be a smarter person and more ready for pilot training or another job if you're not that lucky! (Remember, needs of the AF) Paid off for me, 6 years in the F-16! Nothing that is good for you is easy, as my pappy used to say.......................

You must not sleep well before your sorties...you know, with all those unlucky-lazy-non technical no-degree crew chiefs prepping your lawndart everyday.

• 4 years later...
Guest twing207

I am about to start my freshman year in college. I am participating in AFROTC. My situation is as follows: I am enrolled as a Computer Science Major. I enjoy programming and have actually had some applications I've written published by Apple. But with this aside, the thing I want the most is to fly. I am on my way to earning my PPL and I absolutely love flying. I want to fly for the Air Force more than anything. I have read on another website that a computer science degree could hurt your chances. If this is the case, I could switch to Mechanical Engineering, but I'd rather stay in Computer Science. It is also likely that I could get better grades in computer science because it is where my interests are. Below I have pasted the quote from "http://wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResources/ROTCPilotSlot/tabid/60/Default.aspx" I was just hoping to get some feedback on what some others might think.

"From one perspective, your academic major has no bearing on your selection for a pilot slot – it is not part of the OM calculation. From another perspective, however, it can matter greatly. One of the most important pieces of information we can provide ROTC cadets that are looking for pilot slots is this... If you take a scholarship to get a degree the Air Force really needs (like computer science, or nursing) you may be hurting your chances of getting a pilot slot. To quote from AFPC:

“First off, you need to understand one thing before we get into a discussion about getting what you want -- you're under contract to the United States Air Force. Part of that contract may be a scholarship for a very specific degree area, or merely for a certain category of specialty. When you signed that contract, it was with the understanding that the Air Force has a vested interest in the skills you will possess when you graduate and are commissioned. Therefore, you can expect to be classified into a specialty which makes use of the skills you acquired in college, particularly if you were given a scholarship to do so.

Does that mean everyone is automatically locked into certain specialties? Not necessarily, although there are some exceptions, most notably, electrical engineers, computer engineers, and computer programmers/analysts. The market for these skills is highly competitive -- and Air Force need for those skills may drive classification into those specialties regardless of an individual's wishes.”

Thanks for taking the time to read over.

Tanner

The simple answer is no. While a rated board might score you slightly higher in the education sub-catagory for a highly desired technical degree, the overall impact of that on total score and selection would be miniscule. I know plenty of pilot selectes with non-tech degrees and engineering degrees. By the way, if there was any such issue, it would probably be for Computer Engineering majors, not Computer Science majors...the AF sees those as very different animals.

Edited by HiFlyer

The simple answer is no. While a rated board might score you slightly higher in the education sub-catagory for a highly desired technical degree, the overall impact of that on total score and selection would be miniscule. I know plenty of pilot selectes with non-tech degrees and engineering degrees. By the way, if there was any such issue, it would probably be for Computer Engineering majors, not Computer Science majors...the AF sees those as very different animals.

Computer Engineer and Pilot. I've done it. The AF pendulum is constantly swinging so it's hard to say what the best route is, but you might as well do something you enjoy and will excel at. Just make sure you excel in ROTC too and the flying hours will help your chances as well. Feel free to PM me.

In terms of competing for the pilot slot it won't matter much. The non-tech guys will sometimes get a slight advantage because the tech majors have to work harder for the same GPA (not knocking the non-tech majors, just from my experience a lot of people struggle more with engineering.)

Where that will come in to play though is getting a Field Training slot, which is a step you have to take before you can compete for any rated assignment. There, your major can definitely come into play. I saw the numbers for this year's selectees, and it was something like 70% for the tech majors and around 50% or so for the non-techs (don't quote me, it's been a while.) So I think, in that regard, having the tech major might give you a slight nod for the Field Training slot, so long as you can keep up your GPA. If doing a tech major is going to get you a 2.X GPA and a non-tech somewhere around 3.8, then I would switch over.

• 5 months later...

I was just passed over for a pilot slot in this most recent board because I'm in Electrical Engineering. I had scores much higher than some people that did receive slots so I would say now that your major does matter. If you are computer/electrical engineering you will probably be picked up for that over pilot or any rated position. Something may fall into place in the future but at least at this point it looks like the AF is picking and choosing with those majors.

I think you're probably wrong. Why...because TONS of dudes have EE/Comp Sci/whatever degrees and fly. Your major never has mattered, GPA matters. The only caveat is if you potentially signed some binding contract stating you agree to be a ____ AFSC in the AF upon commissioning. Perhaps your CC ranking was not as high as you thought. When it comes down to it, everyone gets an OM score and there's a cutoff. There are no points or negative points based on what your major is. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I think there's more behind this than you think or know about.

I think you're probably wrong. Why...because TONS of dudes have EE/Comp Sci/whatever degrees and fly. Your major never has mattered, GPA matters. The only caveat is if you potentially signed some binding contract stating you agree to be a ____ AFSC in the AF upon commissioning. Perhaps your CC ranking was not as high as you thought. When it comes down to it, everyone gets an OM score and there's a cutoff. There are no points or negative points based on what your major is. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I think there's more behind this than you think or know about.

You sure about this or is this you opinion based on your experience and POV?

While I agree that it doesn't matter what you major in to fly I would say it matters what your major is when it comes to the needs of the USAF.

I can't assume what the board fancies and frankly I don't even think it matters. Maybe your school matters? I am an Embry-Riddle grad with an aeronautical degree.... But that's because I want to be in aviation (air force or not). All I can tell you is that there are many Riddle grads in the USAF. I don't know what the correlation is.... Nor would I assume it.

They recently changed the selection criteria and the PCSM is now 40%. I had an 80 on the PCSM and I know someone from my det who had a PCSM of 1 that got picked up. I was distinctly told by my cadre that because of my major I was not picked up for a slot. It sucks but what happens is what happens and I'm still going to be the best at whatever I do. However, it's not going to stop me from still trying to get on the alternate list or applying on AD.

Brabus, seriously dude. Do you have to pipe in (with no SA) about everything? go practice your FLUG briefs or something. How the fuck would you know what they're doing now days with respect to majors and AFSCs? You wouldn't. You even admitted as such when you started you post with "I think...." yet you couldn't stop youself from continuing. Things change every damn week in the AF, so your expert opinion about the matter based on your professional ROTC experience is a bit laughable isn't it? Never pass up the opportunity...

Edited by Danny Noonin

Here's some actual SA. A friend of mine who was selected in same board as me a year ago was EE. He was getting pretty worried as it got close, because a policy came down the pipe which stated that only the top two-thirds of EE's who had OM's high enough for rated slots would actually be assigned those slots. So even if your OM was good enough, you had to beat out 33% of all the other ROTC applicants in your major in order to get what you wanted. The bottom third was cut, I assume assigned to engineering or development AFSCs.

From my experience, I can tell you that having a tech major can help you out in two ways. First, a lot of commanders will keep your studies in mind when ranking you against your peers. Bottom line is that someone pushing out a 3.5 in a technical degree takes a lot more work and dedication than that same GPA in basketweaving. PAS's know this and some will use that as a quantifiable ranking metric. Second, the skills you develop while hacking it out for four or five years in a tougher material will help you develop good study/work habits and an analytical way of thinking which will be crucial to your success in UPT.

There will always be other opinions about the academic major issue, but if you have the will and the brainpower, I say don't just pick something that looks easy and marginally interesting to you. Challenge yourself, add some real skills to your life that would be heavily monetarily compensated in the civilian market. It will always give you a career to fall back on if/when you leave the military, but it will prove to be a rewarding decision that you can look back on with great pride and accomplishment for the rest of your life.

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me as silent com. I am en Electrical Engineering Major and I just got denied a pilot slot. My Det CC told me directly too, that it was due to me being an EE major. I had much better credentials than others in my Det that received slots. Here is what I had

GPA: 3.64

AFOQT pilot: 96

PCSM: 97 (including 65 hours flight time)

FT Ranking: Middle

PT score: 97.6

And I think a pretty good commanders ranking (he told me I was in the top 3)

Anyway, I'm not trying to complain, just warn those out there before going to choose a career like this. I received a High School Scholarship which allowed me to choose from a range of technical degrees. I chose electrical engineering because it was something I was interested in. Had I known this 3 years ago, I would have chose mechanical or civil. Just Beware of EE, unless that's what you really want to do for the rest of your life

Same thing happened to me as silent com. I am en Electrical Engineering Major and I just got denied a pilot slot. My Det CC told me directly too, that it was due to me being an EE major. I had much better credentials than others in my Det that received slots. Here is what I had

GPA: 3.64

AFOQT pilot: 96

PCSM: 97 (including 65 hours flight time)

FT Ranking: Middle

PT score: 97.6

And I think a pretty good commanders ranking (he told me I was in the top 3)

Anyway, I'm not trying to complain, just warn those out there before going to choose a career like this. I received a High School Scholarship which allowed me to choose from a range of technical degrees. I chose electrical engineering because it was something I was interested in. Had I known this 3 years ago, I would have chose mechanical or civil. Just Beware of EE, unless that's what you really want to do for the rest of your life

My son is a Computer & Electircal Engineering major, graduated in December, and heading to ENJJPT. So it's not entirely lost for EE's. Knowing what the criteria is for selection is another matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread...

I am a transfer student from erau.....missed a semester b.c of Financial aid and will basically be starting from scratch as a freshman this fall.

I am going to sign up for afrotc at UMD.

For the past couple of months I have had my mind set on comp. engineering. I have never been fond of math but I know that if I dedicate myself to it I will do well.

That being said, this thread has given me second thoughts about the degree.

I have always been intereseted by health, nutrition, working out and it has become a lifestyle for me.

Would getting a degree in "health promotion" hinder my chances of getting a pilot slot???? I know everyone is saying to do something you enjoy and excel at it ( which I would) but

to be honest I would rather complete an engineering degree ( which i'm not so fond of) if it meant I had a better chance at getting that pilot slot.