Does your degree/major matter?

Ryder1587

Doing engineering is a big risk. I initially took it because they gave me a scholarship right out of high school. About two years into it I knew I didn't want to do it as a career but had to go through with it because there is no way out. I worked hard and was fortunate to get a pilot slot.

So the bad part is that if you don't get rated you will be in engineering for sure. (Unless you like it then right on.)

There are some good things about it though. For one it is not easy to get an EE degree and I can say I did it and it was challenging. Second, I believe it has made my time here at UPT a little easier, especially dealing with the T-6 systems.

Guest KoolKat

"Second, I believe it has made my time here at UPT a little easier, especially dealing with the T-6 systems."

Seriously? A battery, some wires and a few light bulbs.

I do have to agree with this to a point though. A bud of mine did aviation science (or whatever it is, which I will never understand paying to learn to fly just to learn to fly for the AF, but another topic all together) and commented that some others picked up on the technical aspects of systems faster than he did.

Crunching numbers can easily be replaced with rules of thumb anyhoo.

62E is a "recall" career field, so if you major in engineering, be ready to be a "developmental engineer," whatever the hell that is.

BENDY

My roommate is engineering and I'm aviation mngt. He gets so pissed when i come stumbling in and he's been studying all night... so I do it as much as possible. It's also a five year program, so he'll be dealing with professors and ROTC for a full year after we're long gone.

That being said, he stuck with engineering because his ultimate goal is to be a test pilot. Granted that's a long shot, but it's damn near impossible without being an engineer. He has a 3.4 GPA cause he busts his ass. If you want to chill in college and get a good GPA pretty easily, go business. Unless you have a specific motivation for being an engineer major, stay away from it.

Guest KillYourself

FutureAF - take everything you read here with a grain of salt.

I'm an engineer and one of my buddies is a math major. We both have 3.5+ gpa's and still find plenty of time to party and enjoy the "college lifestyle". If you want to be an engineer, don't let the hard work dissuade you.

Also, just because you have an engineering degree doesn't mean you have to be an engineer. I'm getting a business minor and plan to apply that towards engineering in the future. A BS doesn't mean you are required to sit behind a desk and crunch numbers all day.

Do what you want to do, it's as simple as that.

Guest F152 Pilot

I think engineering is a great major if you can stick with it. Too often people switch out of an engineering major because they are too focused on trying to get a pilot slot as easy as possible. You should also be thinking of a back up plan. What is going to happen if you are medically disqualified or do not get to go to flight school for some reason? I have known quite a few people who have switched to an easy major only to get screwed out of a pilot slot. They are then left with their worthless degree. This might be ok if you are planning on going career, but if you want to get out and actually make any money you should study something worthwhile. A lot of my friends that I am going to graduate with this semester are getting jobs with starting salaries around $50,000. People I know who got degrees in history, general studies, liberal arts degrees are moving back home with their parents. Think about it before you switch your major.

As far as an engineering degree helping with UPT, I couldn’t agree more. The last engineer that graduated from my det just got vipers out of UPT. Everybody else is in a T-1. Out of my det over the past two years the only people who got fighters out of UPT were technical majors with one exception. I realize that everyone does not want to fly fighters, but I am sure everyone wants to make it through UPT and the study habits you get from engineering will help out with UPT.

Originally posted by F-15-Eagle:

For example, is it really possible to become a pilot with a History major? I've also heard that the USAF is currently overmanned in the officer position. Will this affect pilot selections?

Yes you can be a pilot as a History Major. Yes the AF is overmanned with officers in certain yeargroups (02-03 I believe) in certain AFSC's, but I don't see them cutting pilot slots that much.

Originally posted by Bender:

A bud of mine did aviation science (or whatever it is, which I will never understand paying to learn to fly just to learn to fly for the AF, but another topic all together)

I majored in flight operations. It's called Plan B. If I wasn't able to fly for the AF, then at some point in my life, I was going to make a civilain flying career. Mentally, I thought my couple hundreds of hours and ratings were enought that I had a clue about flying in general, but not enough to be stuck in my way or have a hard time unlearning any techniques that were anti-AF teaching. I'm in my fighter now, so I guess it all worked out.

Originally posted by F152 Pilot:

the study habits you get from engineering will help out with UPT.

Good study habits in general, not just enrineering study habits, will bid you well during UPT.

Hoser

I think a lot of you are missing the point. Engineering is a very difficult major, and if you're not prepared to work hard, then don't pick it for the money. Because you never see the money (at least I don't) the classes just sort of get paid for, it won't feel like you're working hard for the same money a lot of your counterparts get for learning when people were born. That being said, if you don't like math, you won't like engineering. If you don't think about things technically you won't like engineering. Why worry about being in COLLEGE a 5th year? Once you're a completed cadet you don't have to do anything but show up to PT twice a week. Yeah, that would suck, but it's 2 hours a week. I'm active in my fraternity, drink 3-4 nights a week and still maintain a 3.5 GPA in electrical engineering. As long as you know when it's time to buckle down and learn your s*it engineering is doable. Also, don't be afraid to ask your professors for help in or outside of office hours.

Just my $0.02

• 1 year later...

Hey, I just recently have been thinking about AF as I've always have loved planes and such... I am a freshman in college.

First off... AF ROTC defiantly must take, ok.

Second... I have read conflicting ideas on degrees you can get. To qualify for the officers training, you must finish a 4 year degree. Some places say that it must be technical while other people have said that they are taking business which isn't really a technical degree. I am trying to get degree in business administration. Would this be ok? Should I try and minor in something like architectural drafting, chemistry, or something? I assume I'm going to sign up for AF ROTC soon so I'm now worried about getting the AF ROTC, business, and minor classes all within 4 years, no way unless I bust my butt.

I really want the business degree but I also want to be able to go into the AF...

Sorry for dumb question but I haven't found an explicit answer.

-Luper

Sort of...........If you get a technical degree, that factors into your "Officer" score. I know a few people that had a non-technical degree, their AFOQT scores were on the lower side and the Air Force said no to them. Either way, get a technical degree, if the USAF doesn't work out, you make more money!

Concur, I got my Sociology degree and all was fine...GO TALK to the AFROTC people, just fill out the application, you can always take classes and not get $$

You can pay for college and do all of ROTC all on your own dime, and you can get whatever degree you want....if you want the AF to give you money for all 4 years, you may need to look at what they want, too...or they are much more lax for 2 year scholarships...really, you just need to get out of this forum and go talk to the peple there at the det.

Good luck!

Sort of...........If you get a technical degree, that factors into your "Officer" score. I know a few people that had a non-technical degree, their AFOQT scores were on the lower side and the Air Force said no to them. Either way, get a technical degree, if the USAF doesn't work out, you make more money!

I'm pretty sure you're completely wrong. Doesn't matter at all what degree you got.

all I can say is, holy crap fast replies and in great numbers! thanks for information. I am getting business degree for family business but I already sent email to AF ROTC person and will drop by to signup sometime. Of course its weird b/c I'm already being loaded with classes in order to stay on track and transfer (im at CPCC community college).

Thanks for info and I'll definatly be doing the ROTC. Your replies make me feel much more confident now.

-Luper

all I can say is, holy crap fast replies and in great numbers! thanks for information. I am getting business degree for family business but I already sent email to AF ROTC person and will drop by to signup sometime. Of course its weird b/c I'm already being loaded with classes in order to stay on track and transfer (im at CPCC community college).

Thanks for info and I'll definatly be doing the ROTC. Your replies make me feel much more confident now.

-Luper

Lots of guys go to a CC and do rotc at the same time. It isn't the easiest but it isn't that bad either. I did it for over a year.

Aiight, I'm sure you're all right.........The people I knew were Enlisted going for OTS. You are all correct, the degree does not matter if you dont want a scholarship, but why wouldn't you?? A technical degree will never help you, in pilot training or not. (Sarcasim) The Air Force doesn't want technical degrees, of course not. (again...sarcasim) I've already been flying for the USAF for 6 years, went through ROTC (Electrical Engineering) and have no idea what I'm talking about. (again.....)

Dude, challenge yourself and do something difficult. You'll be a smarter person and more ready for pilot training or another job if you're not that lucky! (Remember, needs of the AF) Paid off for me, 6 years in the F-16! Nothing that is good for you is easy, as my pappy used to say.......................

Edited by matmacwc

Aiight, I'm sure you're all right.........The people I knew were Enlisted going for OTS. You are all correct, the degree does not matter if you dont want a scholarship, but why wouldn't you?? A technical degree will never help you, in pilot training or not. (Sarcasim) The Air Force doesn't want technical degrees, of course not. (again...sarcasim) I've already been flying for the USAF for 6 years, went through ROTC (Electrical Engineering) and have no idea what I'm talking about. (again.....)

Dude, challenge yourself and do something difficult. You'll be a smarter person and more ready for pilot training or another job if you're not that lucky! (Remember, needs of the AF) Paid off for me, 6 years in the F-16! Nothing that is good for you is easy, as my pappy used to say.......................

That's some of the worst advice I've ever heard. A tech degree graduate is not smarter than anyone else. Proven to be true by your example of trying to spell sarcasm. You're blabbing about challenging yourself but then talk about how a tech degree would help someone in upt; what about that challenge?

Point is, do what you want. Don't listen to these jerkoffs telling you do this and that. Do what YOU want so YOU will be happy and successful when you're out.

Besides, the possibility of making big bucks in business is ten fold that of in engineering.

I still respectfully disagree.

Do what you WANT to do, and if the USAF will buy what you're selling them, awesome.

I got a scholarship out of high school. A non-technical one. I've never liked math/engineering, etc. Did I excel at it? Yes. Enjoy it? Hell no. So I majored in Political Science, something I was sure that I would enjoy. I decided that I was not going to tailor my education and my life, that early-on, around what I thought (as an 18 year-old) the USAF wanted me to do.

The only thing that I can say to support the "tech vs. non-tech" debate is that the Air Force DOES give out more technical scholarships than non-tech. That's a fact, but I don't know the exact percentages. You could probably search the ROTC forums and find out a better answer.

If you aren't interested in scholarships at all (ie, school's paid for), then don't sweat it. When you apply for pilot, all that the selection process takes into account is your GPA. A 4.0 in Engineering is just the same as a 4.0 in Submarine Screendoor Installation. Now, a 4.0 in Engineering, coupled with you being a good little cadet might score some more points on your Commander's Ranking, but that's completely subjective and another conversation all together.

So, in short, if you are going to apply for a non-tech scholarship, you'd better have your stuff in a sock and be able to have your application stand out among the others.

Good luck.

EDIT: "2" to Tertle. He beat me to it.

Guest PorkChop

I started out as a scholarship cadet in Aerospace Engineering for 1.5 years…barely kept my GPA up high enough to meet minimum requirements and learned absolutely nothing. Eventually said screw it, switched to International Relations, argued with liberals all day when I actually went to class, drank massive quantities of beer, and subsequently got a pilot slot. Oh yea, and had free time to chase around girls, including in my classes.

If I stayed with engineering I would have 1-graduated with a 2.0, gray hair, and no pilot slot or 2- failed out of college, got a job at McDonalds, and figured out the most efficient x, y, and z forces for the floor mop… possibly working my way up to floor mop manager by now.

My advice, don’t major in something that you’re not into, especially if it’s a harder degree. Major in something you like and/or major in something that is easy. If you think that getting a tech scholarship is the only way for you to go (my former thoughts), be prepared to hate all of your classes.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but since this seems to kinda be on topic...

I'm curently an Aero Sci major in my second semester freshman year, enrolled in ROTC (AS100, not on scholarship) and I'm looking into changing my degree to something in business and changing schools after this year. Does anyone think it would screw up my chance at a slot if I changed my commisioning date from 2010 to 2011? Considering I'm probably looking at atleast another 3.5-4 years of school, if I do change majors and schools. I don't know how many of my credits would transfer, I'm assuming not too many, considering not many of the classes i have taken are related to business although I do have a couple general ed courses completed. Anyone switch from an aero degree to something non-aviation related, and still get a slot? Or know of anyone who has?

Thanks.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but since this seems to kinda be on topic...

I'm curently an Aero Sci major in my second semester freshman year, enrolled in ROTC (AS100, not on scholarship) and I'm looking into changing my degree to something in business and changing schools after this year. Does anyone think it would screw up my chance at a slot if I changed my commisioning date from 2010 to 2011? Considering I'm probably looking at atleast another 3.5-4 years of school, if I do change majors and schools. I don't know how many of my credits would transfer, I'm assuming not too many, considering not many of the classes i have taken are related to business although I do have a couple general ed courses completed. Anyone switch from an aero degree to something non-aviation related, and still get a slot? Or know of anyone who has?

Thanks.

Won't matter. I had to extend my grad date because some credits didn't transfer. In your situation it just means you'll compete against 2011 cadets instead of 2010 cadets.

Won't matter. I had to extend my grad date because some credits didn't transfer. In your situation it just means you'll compete against 2011 cadets instead of 2010 cadets.

Thanks for the reply. So I'd just be competing in different year? I wouldn't have to push my field training or anything else back (besides commisioning date)? and I would be an 800 (or whatever it is) after my 400 year?

Major in something you enjoy. If you happen to like math/engineering- more power to you. You'll probably have a better chance at getting a scholarship. I went the engineering route- I had many late nights in lab, all-nighters, etc. Life sucked at times, but I wouldn't change a thing. Despite long hours in the lab, I had travelled numerous times (on the University's dime) and some great experiences in college, got selected to be a pilot, and am now sitting on casual. It's all about what you want your college experience to be. That being said, if you are working your tail off in a degree but your grades suck, change degrees, or at least look at your study habits/college goals/etc. But don't forget to think about the future- what happens if I don't get a pilot slot? or go med DQ? Force-shaped/RIFed? Just some things to consider.