Questions on the BAT (Basic Attribute Test)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest C-21 Pilot

I'm looking at my College Transcripts right now...

It shows an "All Previous College/University Credit Received", and then goes on to list the places where I've received college credit - including the Air Force.

Maybe some schools show it, others may not.

Guest ClemsonFlyBoy

I have a question regarding PCSM score. I am in ROTC and just took the BAT test to recieve a PCSM score. I got my scores several days ago and have an 86 PCSM with a 53 Pilot AFOQT with 50 flight hours. If i get 60 hours my PCSM goes to a 90. I was wondering if it was worth to spend money to get 100 hrs and have a 95 PCSM. Any suggestions.

Guest Dirt Beater

ClemsonFlyBoy,

An 86 PCSM is pretty dang good. Unless you're seriously lacking in other areas (GPA, PFT, FT score), I wouldn't spend any money getting more flight hours for the specific purpose of bumping up your PCSM.

[ 16. May 2004, 14:55: Message edited by: Dirt Beater ]

Guest ClemsonFlyBoy

Thanks for suggestion. My gpa looks like a 3.35 in ind engineering and pft is in low 90's and ft score TBD by ellsworth 1.

Guest ClemsonFlyBoy

I actually was seriously thinking about puttin in for ENJJPT. I really would love the opportunity to fly the F-16, if not ENJJPT then the t34 with at Whiting field in florida. Anyaway why do you ask? What are the averages for Enjjpt?

Guest ynotminot

Clemson,

keep in mind that in ROTC your Unit Commander's Rating weighs in at about 50% of your entire package (sts)...so your numbers are fine...just don't piss off your PAS.

Guest Dirt Beater

The reason I ask is because if you're gunning hardcore for ENJJPT, then it may be wise to try and bump your hours up. Dudes that are selected for ENJJPT through ROTC are in the top 10% of pilot candidates. So that means we're looking at roughly 55 guys this year. While you can have average numbers for certain categories to get a pilot slot, you'd better be smoking everything to have a real chance at Sheppard.

• 6 months later...

Play video games. Get good night of rest the night before. Eat a good breakfast.

We're not allowed to talk about the specifics of the test.

Many a thread has been started on how to perform well on the BAT, search throughout the forums and you'll come up with something.

Originally posted by UPT-hopeful:

We're not allowed to talk about the specifics of the test.

Out of curiousity, is that still the case? I know when I took it a few years ago they made us sign something saying that we couldn't disclose the contents of the test, but that was when you could only take it once. Now that people can take it twice, what's the point of the secrecy?

My advice: RTFQ.

I was told that 98% of people who bomb the BAT don't read the directions. There is no time limit for reading them.

The point of secrecy is to make it a fair test for everyone. If it didn't have that, within 6 months there would be programs available to practice the actual test. Then what good is it?

CAVOK

Out of curiousity, is that still the case? I know when I took it a few years ago they made us sign something saying that we couldn't disclose the contents of the test, but that was when you could only take it once. Now that people can take it twice, what's the point of the secrecy?
Yes it's still the case. When I took it this past spring, I signed the same disclosure and there was a note on there saying you can take it another time after waiting 180 days.

[ 30. November 2004, 14:46: Message edited by: Born a Longhorn ]

I just took it, and I really don't think there is anything you can do to practice for it. Take the practice sessions they give you seriously, and READ like everyone else has said.

Guest jriggoMOANG

I am getting ready to take the BAT. I have not scheduled yet, but I have the application forms in my hand. I was just wondering how long does the test take. I have also seen everybody saying read the directions well before starting. Are the directions hard to understand, or is it just the rushing that you are trying to avoid? Thanks

No, the directions aren't hard to understand or worded bad, you just need to realize you're in a [self-created] high-stress environment and you have to force yourself to read them calmly and fully so you don't get dinged for something stupid.

Plus, since everything timed, it's sort of nice to take a little breather while reading the directions (not timed).

[ 02. December 2004, 19:08: Message edited by: UPT-hopeful ]

Play some Halo, bro. It'll help that pipper control... :D

Just relax and read carefully. If you take it with others around, don't worry about how they're doing. It really ticked me off how the guy next to me was always done alot faster than me and then would look over to see where I was on the test. My score turned out OK, so don't rush yourself like that dude.

It is usually scheduled in the morning and I am not a morning person in particular so I drank a Red Bull to help keep myself alert during the exam and I did pretty well I think. A little caffeine might be a good idea since it is a lot of hand eye coordination that to me seemed a little boring, so a little pick me up def. helped. Besides I heard Red Bull helps give you your wings.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jriggoMOANG

Thanks for all the info guys. I finally have my BAT scheduled. Monday, 20 December at 1:00pm. WHiteman AFB. I am totally excited and ready to get this step of the process completed. If any of you are praying people, I would ask you to whisper a little prayer for me on Monday, just to help ease my nerves and help me relax so that I do the best that I possibly can. Thanks, I will update after I have taken the test. Good luck to me!!

Took the BAT yesterday and got my PCSM about 1 hour after completion. PCSM of 91. Just wanted to update here as well.

[ 21. December 2004, 09:50: Message edited by: Jason Riggs ]

Guest jriggoMOANG

I feel that it helped me. I know that it has been proven that video games can help improve hand-eye coordination.

Given a lack of any other suggestions on how to prepare for the BAT, you have to assume that it will help. More importantly, those who have high PCSM scores (high BATs) consistently recommend playing video games.

CAVOK