Pets in the military (dogs, cats)

drewpey

Hello,

I did a search for pet information while in the military, and it pretty much came up dry for what I'm looking for.

I was wondering how easy it is to have a pet while in the military, especially within the flying community. I am pretty much looking for any advice, as to when would be best in your career to deal with a new pet, how easy it is to PCS/TDY with pets, etc. Anything would be helpful.

Also, please share what(if any) type of pet you have, and how well it works out for you, and any problems you have run into while on active duty.

I am really wanting to buy a puppy right now, but don't want to regret it a few months from now when it becomes a headache...thanks in advance!

Guest cmdrstask

Are you married? If not, who do you plan to have watch the dog when you deploy? Or even work a 12-15 hour day?

Most billeting facilities don't accept pets, but you could probably pay for a local hotel that does when you PCS.

I'm married and we have a dog...it's hard enough to coordinate someone being home every 7-8 hours between me on base and my wife's job downtown.

I got a dog while I was still single and living in an apartment (bad idea on the apartment). I was typically only done a couple days a month (C-21s) and had friends who could feed/let the dog out while I was gone. If I was going on a multiple-day trip, I'd put her in a kennel. Once I moved into a house and had a roommate, it was much easier. When I deployed, I shipped for back to my folks' house, which is a major pain in the ass.

Bottom line -- dogs need a lot of attention from you, and if you're willing to shell out $ to make sure they're taken care of if you're gone, cool. Otherwise, pet somebody else's dog. Hope that helps.

I have 3 dogs (2 pure labs and a lab mutt) and 2 cats.

When I lived on base, there was apparently some limit on the number of 4 legged animals that were allowed based on housing rules, but I never bothered to ask, and no one seemed to care either. I was also supposed to get the housing office permission before constructing a kennel in the back of my house, but I didn't find out about that one until after the fact.

Moving can be interesting to say the least. When I moved from CBM to GSB, my wife drove her car with the cats in their carriers, and I drove my car with the dogs in the back seat. I also was towing a 6x8 trailer with all our personal stuff (clothes, irreplaceables', etc)

I don't know of any base billeting that will take pets, so we opted for a local hotel (Best Western, Holiday Inn, etc) that did allow pets and just paid out of my own pocket. Putting them in kennels would have been another option, but without having the time to look around and see them firsthand, I didn't feel comfortable doing that.

When the dogs were puppies, my wife was working as well. We would leave the dogs outside in the backyard on nice days, or in their cages inside during wx days. Due to their small bladders, there would sometimes be messes to clean up, but these became less and less as they got older. The other reason for leaving them in their cages was becuase they were in the chewing stage and we were trying to save our furniture.

Now that they are older, they roam the house freely while my wife and I are in work. The furniture is still in one piece and their bladders can easily handling an 8-10 hour work day. The downside to being inside all day is that when you get home, you better have about 30-45 minutes of playtime because those dogs are going to want to run alot.

Hope this helps.

Cap-10

I always had horses while active duty, and most bases have stables right on the installation. Being Life Support, I knew a lot of aircrew - many of whom had horses as well. We'd always help each other out when someone was TDY. Not sure if this is something you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw in my $.02.

Michaela

The only TLF that was allowing pets was Travis, they were running the AF test program for it. I have never heard if it will spread through out other bases.

I have had a dog the for the past six years and have PCSd 5 times. It is a pain, and alot of hotels only take pets up to a specific size 10 - 20 pounds, others don't care what size. Renting a place is harder if you have pets as well.

I love my dog, but when she goes, I won't get another one until I am out of the military.

• 2 years later...

All,

I searched for this and didn't find anything relevant. I'm still in ROTC, but i'm looking at getting a dog. IF (read: IF!) I get into UPT, whats the deal with having pets? Should I just plan on forkin him over to my parents through training or not even consider getting one?

-LL

All,

I searched for this and didn't find anything relevant. I'm still in ROTC, but i'm looking at getting a dog. IF (read: IF!) I get into UPT, whats the deal with having pets? Should I just plan on forkin him over to my parents through training or not even consider getting one?

-LL

If you're looking to live on base, you'd need to be in married housing. Dorms = no pets. Off base it obviously doesn't matter. As far as the long days go, just make sure the dog is house broken or have a place where he can stay outside. I have a 1 yr old yellow lab and no major problems with him so far.

~nh

I got a dog when I was in college. The only time she lived with my parents was when i was bouncing around between ASBC, my casual base, and then Sheppard. My wife and I live on base and its not a problem at all leaving her at home. We bought a doggy door thats like an insert into the sliding glass door. Petco sells them for about $200. She has her own couch, plenty of food set out, and freedom to go outside whenever she wants. She has it pretty well, if you ask me. I've never had any problem traveling with her. You can find hotels anywhere that will accept pets and the cheap hotels will never know if you sneak them in. Websites like petswelcome.com can help out, too.

On the other hand, my buddy just got a puppy and he lives in an apartment. He's always running home to let the dog out and now it's gotten too big to be locked in the kitchen area all day. That's a pain to deal with whether you're married or not.

Just some things to consider.

Guest homewith4

word of advice to all kinds of pet owners...let them learn to tolerate a kennel. most moves overseas make a kennel stay likely. CONUS moves, the kennel makes it easier...and is sometimes the only good option (unless a flea infested motel is worth not-kenneling).

Our last PCS, a 5 week TDY enroute, our dog was kenneled for 3 weeks (not ideal, but reality sometimes). We picked him up, spent three nights at a pet-friendly hotel, flew to Germany and kenneled him again until we found a place to live

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately, in the best interestes of all parties involved, I've got to ship my pets to their former owner (and ex-girlfriend). :flipoff: Since there is no PCS involved, they will be shipped as cargo. The vet gave me a warm fuzzy that this is pretty common but I'm still trying to find out everything I need to know. They're about 50 lbs each so they couldn't ride in the cabin in an airliner anyway and I am looking into freight.

Anyone here had to do this before? Which company did you use? It seems airline and cargo companies alike do this kind of thing. Good/bad experiences or lessons learned? Right now it's just cross country, eventually they will go overseas but I think they have their arms around that part.

:beer:

Unfortunately, in the best interestes of all parties involved, I've got to ship my pets to their former owner (and ex-girlfriend). :flipoff: Since there is no PCS involved, they will be shipped as cargo. The vet gave me a warm fuzzy that this is pretty common but I'm still trying to find out everything I need to know. They're about 50 lbs each so they couldn't ride in the cabin in an airliner anyway and I am looking into freight.

Anyone here had to do this before? Which company did you use? It seems airline and cargo companies alike do this kind of thing. Good/bad experiences or lessons learned? Right now it's just cross country, eventually they will go overseas but I think they have their arms around that part.

I've used Continental and American. American was ok, but Continental seems to have a better network for transporting the animals (i.e. dedicated climate-controlled vans at each airport, special pet waiting areas, etc.). They also have shelters at many of their hubs in case something happens and the pets get stuck there overnight. Between the two the rates were about the same. My main issue is that my dog needed to make a connecting flight, so I was worried what would happen. American may be the better deal if you can get a nonstop.

My .02

I had to ship my dog, 50lb lab, and used Northwest Airlines. I had no complaints and would use the same company again if I had too. You drop off and pickup the pet at their cargo facilities. They let me into cargo area and stay with my dog until they loaded her on the truck to take her to the plane. There was a 5 hour layover in Detroit. They told me, so I assume they arent lying to me, that they put the cage in their facility there, and leave them be unless you want them fed and watered. My parents met her on the other end and said she was just fine and in good spirits.

I PCS'd to and from Hawaii and used Continental both times. I did a lot of research and found that Continenal had the best pet care. We just shipped our two Goldens in December from Honolulu to Cleveland and Continental let them out of their cage fed and gave them water during their layover. I would use them again....

Edited by flyinap

I second all of what was said about Continental. I have shipped my beagle a couple of times and they did a good job all around. My dog's flight was delayed and they gave her water and fed her with the food that I left on top of her cage. The main thing to remember is to get the Live Animal stickers and a good cage. Continental's website has all the info you need to know.

I've shipped my two small dogs several times on Alaska Airlines. Always had a good experience.

Tips: Agree with the crate being bigger than you think.

When you put water in the dish, freeze it the night before so it last longer .

Make sure you tape a bag of food to the crate in case the dog needs a feeding.

Check the airline policies on weather. There are restrictions on hot/cold temps. I had to have my pets shipped to Ontario, CA as

opposed to Palm Springs, CA because of the heat.

Guest evil load

NWA Priority Pet program has a good pet facility if you are traveling through MSP. Airconditioned van and room to let the pet(s) run around between flights (time permitting).

If you can afford it, Lufthansa Airlines, is also amazing. They are the number one importing/exporting airliner when it comes to pets, due to people buying German Shepherds, Rotties, Malinois, and Dobes, just to name a few. I want to say that they have a vet on staff at their locations. They will not fly animals between June and September/October-ish because of the weather.

Guest ukwxbelle

http://www.happytailstravel.com/pcs-milita...-relocation.php

I have yet to use this company, but it was included with an email of information that a friend had sent to me on shipping pets overseas. They seem like they are very helpful and get tons of rave reviews.

Here's another website that was included: http://www.pettravel.com/. And for when you have to ship your pet overseas . . . http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

A new update to the JFTR/JTR provides useful websites for Pet Quarantine requirements and transporting exotic pets.

B. Pet Quarantine Information. The following websites contain useful information on pet quarantine:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/an...orts_pets.shtml , or

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal/index.htm

Travelers returning to the U.S. with exotic pets prior to transporting the pet(s) or requiring more information should contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) for information at, 1-800-358-2104 or (703) 358-2104.

The website address for obtaining information on permits through the FWS is located at http://www.fws.gov/permits/ .

A fact sheet for traveling abroad with your bird may be found at http://international.fws.gov/pdf/pe.pdf .

Applications for travel with pet birds and other Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) listed species is located at http://forms.fws.gov/3-200-46.pdf .

• 2 months later...

Somebody at work told me that they thought when you went TDY you could get reimbursed for some kennel expenses but I couldn't find anything about that in the JFTR. Anybody have some insight into that? I highly doubt it's true but worth looking into as it could save me a lot of money over the next few months.

Somebody at work told me that they thought when you went TDY you could get reimbursed for some kennel expenses but I couldn't find anything about that in the JFTR. Anybody have some insight into that? I highly doubt it's true but worth looking into as it could save me a lot of money over the next few months.

I highly doubt it. Have never seen anything close to that.

The only thing in the JFTR that I could find is about pet travel associated with evacuation from a foreign location.

Edited by Herk Driver

When I PCS'ed from Okinawa to Lakenheath, I was reimbursed $500 of the $7,000 total to get both of my beagles here. I believe they reimbursed us for a portion of the kenneling cost while finding a house.

You are correct that the Gov't does reimburse some of the costs for quarantine, not any of the costs for the move and not just for kennel costs. In other words, this only applies to areas that have mandatory quarantine reqt's, like the UK. Other areas that don't have quarantine reqt's don't rate such reimbursement. I suspect your pets were in the kennel due to the mandatory quarantine of pets moving to the UK. So, yes, you got partially reimbursed while were house hunting and your pets were in a kennel. However, they don't reimburse for straight up kennel costs though and definitely not for a TDY.

Relevant section:

U5805 PET QUARANTINE REIMBURSEMENT

Reimbursement for actual mandatory household pet quarantine fees is authorized not to exceed $550 per PCS move.