Beale AFB

Chicken

I know there have been rumors that U-2s will eventually retire (may be 2012??) and potentially be replaced by GH. When that day comes, what will happen to the U-2 pilots?? Will they retrain to fly GHs??

You're safe for about another five years. I think the current plan for the U-2s now goes thru 2015-2016. That date is one of many proposed retirement dates, none of which has been met because of issues with the GH. There are several major reviews of the GH underway by a very disgruntled DoD senior leadership. In essence, from an overall performance standpoint its a great little aircraft, but they need a great medium-sized aircraft, and the cost has escalated way beyond expectations for a lot of reasons...mostly because the original ACTD development concept had no operational requirements (the only requirement was a unit cost goal and a desire to operate in "high threat environments"). As the govt began to add real world requirements, the costs went up and up and the design had to be modified beyond what the original concept envisioned. You now have a very expensive platform (with no apparent end to cost escalation) which has serious sensor and mission capability issues for a good part of the mission area. As to what will the U-2 guys do when it does end, I don't think theres an answer to that. Given that most U-2 guys are fairly senior (due to the entry requirements), as they end their flying tours most of them migrate to staff tours and other AF assignments. System retirement will also be stretched over several years, so I doubt if there will be a wholesale transfer to the GH program.

Edited by HiFlyer

I know there have been rumors that U-2s will eventually retire (may be 2012??) and potentially be replaced by GH. When that day comes, what will happen to the U-2 pilots?? Will they retrain to fly GHs??

U-2 "retirement" has been pushed out to 2016, as per the FYDP.

GH replace the U-2? That's funny.

Personally, I'll put money down that the U-2 will still be around when GH is retired.

Also forgot to mention. U2 guys will crap all over you every chance they get. Not sure why they hate GH types, but most do.

A number of questions come to mind when reading this asinine blanket statement:

WTF?

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Do you honestly think we have the time or the inclination to "crap all over you"?

Feel free to stop by my office to discuss.

• Upvote 3

Feel free to stop by my office to discuss.

Maybe he is referring to the 3 GH pilots we hired to be full time T-38 IP's, including funding full-up PIT training.

Or maybe the 2 GH pilots we interviewed and selected to the U-2.

Or maybe the GH pilot who is my squadron CC, and is a good guy, doing well in the job.

Or maybe the attempts I personally make to invite GH pilots to Daedalians (so far, only 1 regular taker).

Yeah,... I'm a exclusionary asshole.

• 1 year later...
Guest onetwopi

GH replace the U-2? That's funny.

Personally, I'll put money down that the U-2 will still be around when GH is retired.

Shack, as it turns out.

• 3 years later...

Moving on to Beale and looking for some up to date opinions about where to live.

I want the amenities of living in Lincoln but don't want to drive 35 minutes to work everyday. Is there hope that places like Wheatland or Marysville aren't as sad as they sound or am I condemned to the commute?

I live in Marysville in one of those communities where all the houses are on top of each other and the yards are tiny...you know the ones. It's called Edgewater...it's fine, unlike much of the rest of the Linda area. Marysville itself is farther north and starting to get on the order of the Lincoln/Rockville commute.

You can also look at Plumas Lake (similar neighborhoods), farther south. Some people like Penn Valley up to the north east also, even Alta Sierra, just to the south of that (now you're definitely back up to the 45 minute commute though).

There are options...good luck weeding through it.

Bendy

Plumas Lake is a nice neighborhood with reasonably priced houses (it's where my family lives), though the "amenities" aren't that close -- a 5 min drive will get you to a Walgreen's, gas station and convenience store. The drive to malls/grocery stores, etc are a little bit longer but the commute to base isn't too bad (~20 mins if you take the back roads).

As Bendy mentioned, there are different neighborhoods around the base to consider (Penn Valley has some really nice real estate), but the selling point for Plumas Lake was the great elementary school for our kids. Just depends where you want to focus your attention. Good luck!

I used to live in Plumas Lake and really liked it. You get way more for your money than in Lincoln, Roseville, or Sac. It's a decent compromise between commute (20-25 min depending on speed, all on back roads) and doing stuff on the weekends (~30 to Sac, ~40 to Lincoln/Roseville). That being said most of the single dudes I know lived in Midtown or downtown Sac. I think they said the commute was closer to 45 minutes but it was worth it to be around the nightlife.

As a whole it's a great place, 2 hours from Tahoe, 2 hours from the Bay Area and not far from tons of other things to do. Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies. Being married with no kids we still feel the pull of the nightlife and don't want to get too far away from that despite liking the looks of a lot of the stuff up in Penn/Grass Valley. With all the space south of base and north of Lincoln I feel like there has to be a gem hidden somewhere in there...we'll keep looking.

And I will officially stop considering Linda as it appears no one has anything good to say about it.

I commuted from Rocklin to Beale for 13 years.

Now that the bypass is built, it is not too bad. With a hands-free device and/or podcasts, you can be productive during that time.

There's a reason the houses cost more in Rocklin: it's a great town. http://www.kcra.com/news/rocklin-named-best-ca-city-for-young-families/30574384

Rocklin High School was ranked the #1 school in the greater Sacramento area. And while you don't have kids, you should understand that it reflects significantly on the town. Low crime, white collar.

Lincoln will save you 5-15 minutes on your commute, depending which part of Lincoln. If you have an airplane or like to skydive, Lincoln Airport has houses near it, and they have easy access to the Highway 65 bypass.