Landings

Guest Av8tor

Guest AirGuardian

Elevating your view to the end is a good point and if you're in a heavy, don't quit flying the aircraft once the mains touch down. Ease her on down so to speak. With another 50 plus feet of aircraft behind you, you'll slam the nose down if you just let go. The 17 training has gotten my attention though. Finding the 17 a little different since flying on the backside/reverse, whatever(throttle = altitude and stick = power during approaches for the most part) has proven interesting at times. We just call 50ft and add a little power before touchdown since we fly in a shuttle angle approach in the normal pattern. Obviously the addition of too much power floats you down the rwy for awhile... The HUD is quite nice I must say.

Originally posted by wnanna:

Is landing the T-38 really that challenging? I heard that's what washes out the most guys in 38's.

I don't think it's "challenging", but it most unforgiving of carelessness. The airplane has small wings and small engines, and if you're not careful you can get backed into a corner while flying the final turn.

The jet also doesn't want to land through the flare -- it would rather sail a couple thousand feet down the runway in ground effect before touching down.

So, while the T-38 is a bit tougher to land "with style" than the Tweety, it's far from impossible.

Guest deweygcc

Landing begins in the pattern. If you setup fast/slow/low/high etc you are already on the fast track to dorking it up.

I found that setting it up correctly, then looking to the end of the runway, and it just comes naturally.