Attention Grabbing photos of sacrifice needed

Guest rotorhead

2 on the Blackhawks Nat'l Anthem. It's been a tradition to just go apesh!t when Wayne Messmer sings it. I've been to dozens of games at the Old Chicago Stadium and the United Center (which pales in comparison). It's absolutely electric!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eagle23

..while I'm personally more of a Wings fan..

With all the crap you see in the media and in some of the general population (especially in liberal college towns like the one that my Det is in), it's just nice to know that a city is still openly showing its support in such a manner.

-Z

Guest rotorhead

I started my talk in the gym with the lights on (weekly 10-minute deal). I told the students I had no issues with 99% of them during the Anthem at the bball game, but I was very disappointed with 1% of our folks. I told them that that flag (the big one on the opposite wall) would not be disrespected on my watch...and "maybe some of you think I'm making too much out of this...but that's probably from being called out to rescue a fallen brother, and to return him back to a worried wife and kids...only to find no parachute." Then I cut all the lights off in the gym (no windows) and started a powerpoint show of approx 50 slides. I did not say a word. I simply clicked through the slides. For all 50 slides it was absolutely silent. No one even coughed. At the last slide, I simply said, "that's all I've got" and walked out, leaving the last slide up, and the gym dark. A couple of minutes later, a teacher stuck his head in my office, still sobbing, and tried to say "thank you for that"...then another teacher....then another teacher. They said that the kids "got it." I'll post a link to the slideshow in a couple of days (it's 10-12 MB). Thanks to all for helping me make a moving presentation.

Originally posted by rotorhead:

I was going to weave some music (like Taps-bagpipes, etc.,) into it, but I thought it had more impact in a perfectly dark, perfectly silent room.

AmericanAnthem

WOW. Brought a tear to my eye.

On a different note, does anyone have any good ideas on volunteerism for helping with wounded or fallen soldiers from the war? I have tried to find contact information or any sort of foundation for the guys who have been killed or wounded that are from my hometown or even my home state, but there isn't a lot of information on the internet.

The only thing I really volunteer for is a program that my local VA hospital has. They have a VA cemetery and every once in a while they bury a veteran who has no family members. They send out an email soliciting any military members who want to attend the burial since the member has no family members or friends. I am also looking into volunteering at the local VA, but I am not sure what kind of services I could offer.

Just curious of anyone had any other good volunteerism ideas.

[ 14. December 2006, 11:59: Message edited by: JS ]

Rotor,

Thanks for the mentoring. I hope the slideshow has the fixed the problem. I'd bring in all the parents and repeat the slideshow. Granted some will gripe and complain. They are the ones who need to understand the reason why!!

Eeyore

Guest rotorhead

Thanks for the words, brothers.

The link works best if you RIGHT click it (save target as)

I probably should have uploaded to a better hosting site, but I picked the first one Googled.

RIGHT clicking the link (save target as) avoids the confusing commercial link page.

[ 14. December 2006, 18:46: Message edited by: rotorhead ]

Rotorhead,

Is there anyway you can make that slide show any smaller by perhaps resampling some of the pictures to make them smaller? I tried to email it out to everyone in my address book, but it got returned from everyone with an internet mail account (yahoo, gmail, hotmail). One of the few people who received it is a teacher and he says he is going to show it to his students (I hope you don't have it copyrighted). But I want to email it to more friends and family members to forward on, but 10GB is just too big for most email accounts.

Thanks.