Attention Grabbing photos of sacrifice needed

Guest rotorhead

Guest rotorhead

Brethren,

Last night at a home bball game at the small K12 private school I now steward, I became ENRAGED at one of the students during the National Anthem. Instead of assuming a position of attention with hand over heart, he had his head down, and although he was standing, he had one foot propped up in a chair. To further add to my rage, he was a bball player, and a senior at that. I'll have a "refocus" assembly Monday morning for all the 8-12th graders to "educate" these folks on the sacrifices Americans are currently making, and have made throughout history for that Flag, and that disrespecting MY Flag in any way will meet with severe repercussions (etc. etc. etc.)

To further drill the point home in their little "entitled" heads, I want to show (via computer LCD projector) photographs of the sacrifices Americans have made. Please offer me suggestions and links to computer photos to help "educate" my flock. The more shocking the better, but humanitarian is great, too.

Thanks all.

[ 09. December 2006, 18:15: Message edited by: rotorhead ]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotor,

Call me old-fashioned, but when I see older kids and adults who obviously know better talking, text-messaging or doing whatever durning the Anthem, it drives me INSANE.

My oldest son is a Cub Scout. They have the kids bring the flag in and post the colors. The first time he did it, the kids in his den were screwing off during the posting.

Needless to say, he now knows my feelings about it and stands perfectly still with his two fingers together on the brim of his hat in perfect silence until the colors are posted.

Anything less will bring dire consequences to his 7 year old world.

Do you want pictures posted here or e-mailed?

Guest rotorhead

Glad to see I'm not the only one who BOILS when the only "inconvenience" folks have to make is to stand up, straight, still and silent for 60 seconds...and that's too much burden for them to be bothered with...

Photos themselves posted here or links posted here would be great.

[ 09. December 2006, 18:19: Message edited by: rotorhead ]

Guest bargiel20

Before I enlisted in the Air Force, I played baseball in high school. And before every game, I would stand behind the pitcher's mound, with my catcher's helmet in hand, over my heart. But I too bowed my head. I did it to pray for the safety of the players and all the good stuff. Was I wrong to do that, or was the senior you were talking about just seem like he didn't want to stand up for the song?

Pisses me off as well, I wanna smack the shit outta them but I realize I should be smacking the shit outta their parents for not smacking the shit outta them for acting like that!

Anyhow, this is a good one to start...

Kasal1.jpgThe story

Don't forget John Chapman or Jason Cunningham.

That should get you off to a start...

Cheers! M2

Guest rotorhead

This kid's head was down, up, over, and around...not praying...more of a cocky, "I don't give a $hit" attitude of a punk.

Guest bargiel20
Guest pcoandgo

You're going to be awfully busy trying to correct poor parenting. I've emailed you (rotorhead) a powerpoint that I got forwarded that sorta fits this occasion. It's 1.3 MB and the pics have text, so it all kind of needs to stay together. I don't know who the author is, but they did a fine job.

Both of these pics are from

Pics of the year

01.jpg

Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News

When 2nd Lt. James Cathey's body arrived at the Reno Airport, Marines climbed into the cargo hold of the plane and draped the flag over his casket as passengers watched the family gather on the tarmac. During the arrival of another Marine's casket last year at Denver International Airport, Major Steve Beck described the scene as one of the most powerful in the process: "See the people in the windows? They'll sit right there in the plane, watching those Marines. You gotta wonder what's going through their minds, knowing that they're on the plane that brought him home," he said. "They're going to remember being on that plane for the rest of their lives. They're going to remember bringing that Marine home. And they should."

02.jpg

Second Place

Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News

The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted."

I'm sure they're copyrighted, but I'm willing to pirate for a good cause. Finally got the hotlink to work. They are powerful photos. Hit the link to see the stories.

[ 09. December 2006, 21:40: Message edited by: pcoandgo ]

Originally posted by sleepy:

rotorhead,

The photos here aren't graphic, but they are powerful. http://www.dynamictruth.com/cgi-bin/ultima...1/t/004631.html

That whole Final Tribute in the Rocky Mountain News that Sleepy reposted was outstanding. I just re-viewed the slideshow and was again speechless. You ought to bring that up there and read them some accounts, especially Lance Cpl Welke, being a high school athlete and all.

Lance Cpl. Welke's ceremony reminded me of the one I attended for Lance Cpl. Larry Philippon. He played hockey at my high school, well after I graduated, but he and my brother were teammates.

I decided last Feb, since I now live somewhat close to my hometown, to attend the annual cross-town rivalry hockey game. It's been years since I had been there, and now that my son is playing, I decided to take him to where I learned to play, appropriately called Veterans Memorial Skating Rink.

Well, they started with warmups, but before they announced all the seniors for thie last game of the regular season, they lined everyone up. A Marine Corps honor guard appeared, and they presented the school with memorabilia, and the team spoke about Larry and paid tribute to him.

They then told the crowd that they would be retiring Larry's number after the game.

They had to wait until after the game, because Larry's little brother, a senior on the team, is wearing his jersey.

I was not expecting any of this, and it really caught me off guard. Seeing the Marines, the colors, his brother standing there in his jersey, right there in my hometown...

Of course, the aforementioned 7 year old silently took it all in (this is post Cub Scout screwing around incident, so he knows it's serious).

I guess my point (if there is one) is for every picture of heroism and every story from the battlefield, there are stories for how it affects folks back home. Obviously, these kids are not affected by it. I see it all the time, we are not a military community in my town. We have lots of people that work at the Navy Yard, but as for people who go out and deploy, pull alerts, fly all night, spend holidays away, it's few and far between. These people have no clue. But, every time we bring a hero home, people have lost a brother, sister, mother, father, son, daughter, husband, wife, friend.

Seeing the pictures and hearing the stories and knowing that the soldier killed in Iraq the other day may have been a basketball player just like him will remind them of what the flag and the anthem stands for.

[ 10. December 2006, 21:11: Message edited by: Scooter14 ]

Guest raf eng

it may not be as graphic as some of the pictures but it might work in a different way.it's a poem written by a 10 year old girl read at her fathers funeral after he died in afgan fighting for the raf

My dad

By Athena Nicholas

He was a great Father for every good Reason,

I wish he was still alive.

He would still be with me if it hadn't gone wrong, I wish he had survived.

I feel like it was all a dream.

But it's not what it seems.

That he's still with me in my heart.

And in my sad sad dreams.

I'm crying at this moment.

But I can't stop now.

I wish he was still with me.

And he's whispering in the clouds.

I will visit you in your dreams.

And we shall roam free.

Playing in the grassy fields.

Definitely You and Me.

Guest TheBurt

Rotor,

I think what you are trying to do is spot on!! To many adults screwing around during the national anthem, when I was a kid my parents about knocked me silly for not taking off my hat when the flag went by during a Christmas parade, if my memory serves correct, my dad knocked it off of my head followed by an explanation of why I should put my hand over my heart and stand straight. Parents are not doing that anymore, it is up to you coaches, scoutmasters etc. to teach the kids, good on ya!! If you make a slide show or something to that effect I would like a copy.

Guest CrewDawg1

I am searching for a picture to put on here with no results. I am looking for the dramatic picture of the helicopter crew chief/door gunner from the Vietnam War. If I remember right there was a wounded soldier below him and it was from early on in the war. If anyone could help that would be great.

Guest rotorhead

CrewDawg...I think you might be refering to this photo...USMC Lance Corporal James Farley. I am including this in my "refocus" of the students.

cv041665.jpg

LIFE Cover

[ 10. December 2006, 12:23: Message edited by: rotorhead ]

So, at our joint military ball this semester, one of our cadets brought her boyfriend (now husband). During the posting of the colors and during the National Anthem he stood there with his hands in his pockets, pretty relaxed looking. I thought I was being too much of prick for being pissed off about it, and never mentioned it to anyone. From what I hear on this thread though, I guess I wouldn't have been out of line to mention it. What do you guys think?

I don't know if anyone here has been to a Chicago Blackhawks game (even better at the old stadium), but the Anthem is amazing and I still get the chills...

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/player/?f...991anthem%2Ewvx

2 days before the kick-off on Operation Desert Storm, it is a controversial Chicago tradition, but the atmosphere and the energy is undeniable

[ 10. December 2006, 14:11: Message edited by: wacky ]

I don't see any problem with the reaction at the Blackhawks game. Sure, we should be quiet and respectful during the national anthem by tradition, but all out flag waiving and cheering doesn't seem bad either. They get the point that this is a great country kept free by service and sacrifice and they're showing their their support.

Originally posted by Stud@Luke:

I don't see any problem with the reaction at the Blackhawks game.

Niether do I. If this is the way Chicago chooses to pay respect, go for it. The clear intent is support and respect for the nation, the flag and the troops. I have no problem with it. It's like a rally. The Olympics are not much different, with flags waving and anthems playing all over the place.

After all, it's not Taps, it's the Star Spangled Banner. You have to know what to do in the given situation. A "when in Rome" kind of thing.

Now, if during a Blackhawks game, a few people decided to just sit there, not stand, and were text messaging their friends, I think the reaction would be similar to ours here in this thread. Hell, I think people might resort to physical violence the way everyone's all fired up.

You would probably see the offenders cell phone land at center ice.