Army to AF Transfer (Green to Blue)

Guest Ghostrider13

3 hours ago, Blue1316 said:

I have to apply for active duty to either service because I still have three years left on my army active duty contract. I couldn't transfer to the reserves until that contract is up. I would like to stay active duty regardless, but if I can't get a service Transfer before the end of my active contract, then I would definately try the reserves or guard to get a pilot slot. Xcraftllc, you did a service Transfer from active to guard correct? Or did you go from active to active? 

Gotcha, i bet there is a way around your ADSO if you had a gig already lined up with the guard/reserves and could show how it was better for you, career, and family

Yeah, there was a board for automatic selection a few days ago and I couldn't do it because there was a hard 60 day deadline that I would have to report to OCS and start over in the Navy. So I have to wait till the board in may to get a pilot slot, but with my scores and prior military experience, my recruiter told me I should have no problem getting a slot. Once I get that I think it will make it easier to convince HRC to allow the transfer. Right now I just have a lot of promise and paperwork done, just need to get the letter of selection. Not knowing if they will even allow it though is what's nerve racking. I have an opportunity that very few people can get, and to have them tell me no and crush it is a fear that I have in the back of my head. I just don't know how I could convince them otherwise if they don't budge. 

11 hours ago, Blue1316 said:

I have to apply for active duty to either service because I still have three years left on my army active duty contract. I couldn't transfer to the reserves until that contract is up. I would like to stay active duty regardless, but if I can't get a service Transfer before the end of my active contract, then I would definately try the reserves or guard to get a pilot slot. Xcraftllc, you did a service Transfer from active to guard correct? Or did you go from active to active? 

Guard. To my understanding you still need the ADSO either way because I believe it is service-specific but that may be wrong.

Actually HRC told me no. At the time, the J-1 (think joint S-1) was an AF general so I made the bold decision to email her directly, explaining my situation. I don't know how much that helped but basically a couple days later my branch manager called and said if I could get a letter of intent from my hiring unit stating that I would be sent to OTS and flight school then they would approve it. I used the argument of promotion and career opportunity (as well as another 10+ years of guaranteed service) in my email to the J-1 which I think helped. I was too afraid to ask if that's what it was since frankly to this day I dont know if my branch manager even knew about that email. All I got back from the J-1 was a short reply saying that she would contact the Army folks under her about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently being told by the folks that work for the Air Force's interservice transfer office that I would likely be able to transfer as a rotary guy, but that transfers were only for qualified pilots and thus I would not be allowed to go fixed wing. I seem to remember some people mentioning either in this forum or elsewhere online that they were able to go from active army rotary to active air force FW, even after the FWQ course was dropped. If I were to transfer, fixed would be only what I am interested in. I'd prefer to stay active, but wouldn't object to guard; I just worry getting released from my ADSO as a 15A with over 3 years left to go guard is more of a longshot than going active.

7 hours ago, aggressivelink said:

I'm currently being told by the folks that work for the Air Force's interservice transfer office that I would likely be able to transfer as a rotary guy, but that transfers were only for qualified pilots and thus I would not be allowed to go fixed wing. I seem to remember some people mentioning either in this forum or elsewhere online that they were able to go from active army rotary to active air force FW, even after the FWQ course was dropped. If I were to transfer, fixed would be only what I am interested in. I'd prefer to stay active, but wouldn't object to guard; I just worry getting released from my ADSO as a 15A with over 3 years left to go guard is more of a longshot than going active.

Are you warrant or a hard bar.  There is a DoDi that basically says, if you are going to commission as an officer it pretty much trumps any ADSO you have (pending you don't owe time from taking money for school...that gets a bit more hairy).  I would have to read it again to see what it says about WO going to O grade, since it was in the context of enlisted moves, but it may be an option to research. 

Break break: when were you at rucker?  We may have been there at similar times

Edited by JustHangingOut

Yeah I'm commissioned/ an O3, so I'm interpreting what you're saying as it hinders my chances, since it's a lateral career move at best and not an upward one. Plus I've been told the AF wants young 2LTs, not old CPTs.

I was at Rucker during the '14 to '16 timeframe. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aggressivelink said:

Yeah I'm commissioned/ an O3, so I'm interpreting what you're saying as it hinders my chances, since it's a lateral career move at best and not an upward one. Plus I've been told the AF wants young 2LTs, not old CPTs.

nah, I'm just looking to see if that "loop-hole" would work for you.

I would first try and speak with another recruiter.  I am not as familiar with the AD to AD transfer stuff, but I can help with the Guard side.  I am in a similar situation, but Guard to Guard, and 4 years left on my ADSO.  I have been approved by my state to transfer, I am just waiting for the paperwork to clear NGB at this time.

I was at rucker from March 2015 - October 2016, we may have crossed paths at some point

3 hours ago, aggressivelink said:

Fwiw I had an AF 3 star try to help me with an AD to AD transfer several years ago when I was about to get out of the army. He emailed his buddy who commanded AETC, as well as some of his other 4 star buddies searching for an age/commissioned service waiver for UPT, and it ended up being a dead end, even with high ranking people trying to help me. The shortage wasn’t a thing though, so maybe it’s different now. But you’re probably a lot better off trying to go ANG/reserve regardless, and I’m glad that’s how it ended up working out for me. I’ll be 35 starting UPT with over 5 years time in grade as an O3. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Good on ya, starting UPT at 35, not sure I could do it.  

Taking a pay cut from my major airline job to go back in the military, leaving my family (couple little kids and a high schooler) in a different state so my daughter can go to only 2 high schools instead of 4, while I go re-learn to fly for 2 years. I think I need my head examined. Sure hope fighters are worth it! But yeah, going through as a 35 year old will probably be a lot more difficult in many ways than when I went to army pilot training when I was 22. 

3 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

can't wait for Mr FAIP to tell mr. 35 year old 5 year captain how "the real air force works" lol

I look forward to being a humble sponge and learning as much as I can from them. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the Navy service Transfer isn't gonna work out because of career timeline conflicts and not being able to get promoted after a certain point. Has anyone heard anything else about the service Transfer process being streamlined for the Air Force? Every time I have called they just said that they want people with military flying exeperience. I don't know if that's still true 

On 5/27/2018 at 12:27 PM, Deuce362 said:

FlyArmy, how much of a hard time did you have getting the Army to let you go with your ADSO?

I had no remaining ADSO...I got out completely and had a big break in service. When I had a unit that wanted to hire me when I still had a remaining ADSO, HRC and my CoC would have none of it. 

4 hours ago, FlyArmy said:

I had no remaining ADSO...I got out completely and had a big break in service. When I had a unit that wanted to hire me when I still had a remaining ADSO, HRC and my CoC would have none of it. 

What was the reason you gave HRC and your CoC for trying to get out of your ADSO? How did you try and sell it? I'm looking to get into the Reserves for family stability. 

1 hour ago, Deuce362 said:

What was the reason you gave HRC and your CoC for trying to get out of your ADSO? How did you try and sell it? I'm looking to get into the Reserves for family stability. 

Told them I didn’t want to be an army officer and helicopter pilot anymore, and a fighter squadron wanted to hire me, and I wanted to continue my military career in the ANG. They said they wouldn’t endorse me getting out early bc the army would have no return on their investment since they paid for my college and flight school. That was during the surge, as well, and we weren’t exactly fat on manning at the time. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 8:01 PM, Deuce362 said:

I submitted my DD368 a month or so ago. The aviation branch chief said they are not approving any ADSO waivers for the foreseeable future. I may try again now that I got hired by a reserve unit, but I still have a little over a year left of my ADSO. I’m not holding my breath though. I heard that they have about 120 post-command aviation captain slots to fill an only about 30 available on the upcoming manning cycle. 

• 3 months later...

Anyone know the AFI that would cover a prior O grade that reverted to warrant officer that is doing a transfer to the ANG from the ARNG? Been doing a little research while I wait for the office response and I think it's covered by AFI 36-2005 10.1, but not really sure. Has anyone else been in this boat before? From the DoDIs I gather that I have to transfer over as a warrant, so then the Air Force would have to make me a commissioned officer again. The rules on the Army side are that they'd have to recalculate my DOR, and if the AF rules are the same I should be good to go.

Interestingly I found a post I made on here 15 years ago. Life has it's own plans sometimes I guess.

19 minutes ago, kona4breakfast said:

Anyone know the AFI that would cover a prior O grade that reverted to warrant officer that is doing a transfer to the ANG from the ARNG? Been doing a little research while I wait for the office response and I think it's covered by AFI 36-2005 10.1, but not really sure. Has anyone else been in this boat before? From the DoDIs I gather that I have to transfer over as a warrant, so then the Air Force would have to make me a commissioned officer again. The rules on the Army side are that they'd have to recalculate my DOR, and if the AF rules are the same I should be good to go.

Interestingly I found a post I made on here 15 years ago. Life has it's own plans sometimes I guess.

Do you have any ADSO currently with the Army Guard?

1 hour ago, kona4breakfast said:

I wouldn't be looking to transfer if they owed me active duty, but I don't have an obligation of any kind, including ready reserve.

I’m not sure where the “if they owed me active duty” concept came from as I was only asking about any commitment you might have....but you answered that.

In regards to your previous commission, my understanding is yes they would recognize your previous commission.  Whether they back date your DOR, I don’t know, but your flight pay will back date after the ARB is complete and you have more than 400 hours showing on the bottom right block of your 759.  I am almost positive they would not count any of your WO time for time in grade of your previous commission grade.