Security Clearance questions

PapaJu

Guest pcoandgo

The thing I figured out real quick from researching the criteria for a BI was that it is very subjective. They truly are reviewed case-by-case. The only advice I can give is to be 100% honest. No matter how bad you think something is, tell them. Something small will become something REALLY big if they think you're lying. Make sure that your paperwork is completely and accurately filled out, speak candidly with the interviewer, and that's all you can do.

If you are worried about an aspect of it, talk to them about it. My interviewer was a retired FBI guy (for a Federal clearance) and was very easy to talk to. He wasn't out to screw anyone. Also, it's highly unlikely that you'll be held responsible for the actions of others.

GOOD LUCK!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses! Anyway, reason I was asking was that I'm currently looking into internships for this summer. Among the places I'm considering are the several foreign consulates located here in Miami (as I'm an international affairs major). Obviously, I want to work somewhere 'friendly,' but even with that in mind, how would that affect security clearances in the future (not only for the military, but as I plan to work for the gov't as a civilian)?

Obviously, I want to work somewhere 'friendly,' but even with that in mind, how would that affect security clearances in the future (not only for the military, but as I plan to work for the gov't as a civilian)?
Unless you take part in some questionable actions, it shouldn't matter. You'll just have more stuff to fill in when filing for your security clearance (keep good records now...it'll make the process much easier later)

Concur with C17Driver, be sure to document everything as the more complete information you have for background investigations, the better.

However, I have to add that even though you may not take part in questionable actions, the mere fact that you worked for a foreign government could have an impact on your future US clearances. I would try contacting the DSS before you commit to anything.

Cheers! M2

Guest ShortThrow

I've got a somewhat related question.

To get a security clearance, does it have to be ordered by a certain government agency or could a civilian apply for one if he or she will need one in the foreseeable future and just wants to speed things up?

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by Tertle:

I've got a somewhat related question.

To get a security clearance, does it have to be ordered by a certain government agency or could a civilian apply for one if he or she will need one in the foreseeable future and just wants to speed things up?

"Need to know" applies to all things classified, and is the key here. You will be told what you need when you need it. You can't just get a clearance for shytes and giggles or because you think it may be handy someday. I know your intentions are good here, and you are just trying to get ahead of the game, but it ain't gonna happen.

And to Zach (and others), ALWAYS keep a copy of your latest EPSQ data worksheet in your own personal records. You never know when the system will dump or something like Zach's problem will happen. Recreating all that ass-pain info isn't worth the price of not making a copy...

Cheers, Hydro

Guest stusakss

Hydro, you old-school master....EPSQ is now gone! It is now called "eQuip" and it is all online off the OPM website. The process is almost the exact same, all the same info, etc...it is all just online now and submitted via the site. My printout for my TS is about 40 or so pages of information that I think they should know already anyway!

Guest lakefisher
Originally posted by zach braff:

That paperwork took F-ing forever to put together. I'm a military brat, lived in like a hundred places and several foreign countries. If I have to dig up all that info again it's gonna SUCK!

uh, keep a hard copy of all that stuff.

if something takes a long time to fill out, or commits you to something, or requires you to remember something from years ago..... keep a hard copy!

grab a copy of the security clearance forms off the net, and fill them out (sf-86 for example). as you move around, add new info to it and add more pages. names, dates, phone numbers, addresses, acquaintances. even if you use a different form when updating the clearance, the info will be handy and organized.

while I did keep hard copies, I didn't do the yearly updating of my own security clearance file. so each time I updated my clearance, I had to scrape up info going back a few years.

Apparently once you retire/separate, you lose your security clearance and have to redo the whole thing if you end up getting a job needing one. At least this happened to my old neighbor when he retired a couple years ago (23 year Col). He lost all security clearances and now can't accept a very good job b/c of not having one.

• 1 month later...
Guest WannaBeEWO

I am about to finish my training and was told I can't go to my next base until my TS/SCI is finished and it's been 1 1/2 years since I submitted my paperwork. I'm a prior and already have a Secret clearance. At OTS I was interviewed and the lady told me that my clearance would be done in a couple of weeks. It's been over a year since then. Our security lady told me just to wait to see what happens, and I don't have the # of the investigator that I talked to. Is this normal?

No, that's retarded. Talk to your security manager to check in JPASS to see the status of your clearance. Plus your gaining Commander can write you a interim TS while you're in training.

Guest WannaBeEWO

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure why she told me nothing could be done. I'm going to be finished with school in 2 months and figure they won't think anything about helping my clearance get finished on time until I'm done here. I am the only one in my class that onlt has a Secret clearance now.

Guest lovelacm

It takes longer for some folks depending on what's happened in your life (i.e. Where you're from; Where you've lived; Who you've come into contact with... stuff like that). That's an answer straight from the DIA investigator who came around to ask questions.

I definitely second the bit about checking JPAS and talking with your security manager. Those are the first 2 steps to get you where you need to be.

Good luck.

Linda

[ 29. January 2007, 20:25: Message edited by: Linda ]

Not true, I know a guy that PCS'ed to Dyess with only his Secret. Also if you are dealing with the security manager from the 563rd I would talk to someone else, she is about as clueless and strange as they come. She lost all my buddies clearance paperwork when we were there and he has to do it all again.

Originally posted by WannaBeEWO:

I'm not sure why she told me nothing could be done.

I'm pretty sure that it would have created more work for her, so that's why she said it.

When I left AD to join the ANG, I went to the security manager, since I had an open investigation for a TS renewal to ask what I needed to give her, contact info, etc. I didn't want my clearance to lapse. They told me "Oh, it'll follow you, don't worry, there's nothing we need."

Two years later, I called the SSO at Vance. She looked into it and guess what? They tried to do the investigation, but couldn't find me. Couldn't find me?! Some investigators they are.

Guest Hydro130

I'll put in my usual plug (sts) about security clearance stuff:

SAVE A COPY OF YOUR PAPERWORK!

Then you have it if/when it gets "lost", and it's handy when you have to renew. Tracking down all of that info again is a nightmare.

Cheers, Hydro

Having gone through the mystical security clearance quagmire on various levels, I second Hydro's post. Some upper level clearances (TS/SCI and above) require more paperwork and time to clear depending on your past history, types of people in your life, etc (could be close to 2 years if you have issues).

Bottom line: Stay on top of it. (sts)

BJD

Getting held up in the adjudication process can be for a variety of reasons (some sounding pretty silly): Bounced checks, excessive speeding tickets, drunk in public, etc. I had at least one of the above issues and the process took (from interview to great success) about 11 months. And for what it's worth, the judge involved in the adjudication never kicked back my application, even with the above violations.

• 3 weeks later...

E-QIP is the online program that is taking the place of the SF-86.

JPAS is the program that allows security managers access to a persons' security information, like looking at what clearance a person has, when they have to re-submit their paperwork, etc.

Cap-10 :flag_waving::pow-mia:

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I couldn't find anything else more relavent on the boards...I'm also US/UK and hoping to be a pilot. I'm an AS100 now in AFROTC (non-contract), and one of the seargents in my det told me that she found a document stating that dual citizens are required to renounce one. She couldn't find it when I went into her office just now, but she said she'll email it to me when she finds it. Does anyone know anything about this?

[EDIT] Just did some googling and found this in AFROTCI 36-2011:

4.17. Security Clearance

4.17.1. All contract cadets must have an open security clearance before they can be commissioned. Cadets without prior service must have a national agency check, local agency check, and credit check (NACLC). Cadets with prior service must have at least an NACLC.

4.17.2. Dual Citizenship. Cadets who hold dual citizenship with a foreign country could be ineligible for a security clearance. It will be necessary for them to denounce their citizenship with the foreign country through the state consulate. Documentation received from the consulate once citizenship has been denounced must be included when submitting clearance paperwork.

Note the contradictory bolding (I added that)...huh?[/EDIT]

Edited by LoneWolf121188