Security Clearance questions

PapaJu

Guest Robes

I know a person who had his Secret revoked due to a positive drug testing. He was able to get a lawyer who 'proved' that his test levels were so high that he would have had to been toking about 20 times per day and been toking at the time. I have not heard of anyone lately being either denied or revoked. If you are worried about being denied PM me with your situation and I can assit you better.

Robes

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hydro130

I know a guy who was stationed at YOK, deployed to Manas, and ended up marrying one of the Green Bean chicas from there. Talk about a paperwork nightmare. Even just getting her over to Japan and then getting her citizenship paperwork accomplished in Japan so that they could live on base, etc, etc.

Nightmare all around.

Then add the security clearance @sspain... That must not have been much fun either.

But they did it, and are still very happy together. Good on 'em!

Cheers, Hydro

• 2 months later...
Guest nolanrthompson

I was picked up on last year's active duty board and will be heading to Columbus w/a CSD of 5 Jan. My assignment manager at my servicing MPF here is now telling me I need to upgrade my Secret clearance to an SCI. She also said that I'll have to have this before I get my orders. This doesn't make too much sense to me, I can see having an SCI initiated but I'm pretty sure it isn't even needed in the first place. She claims the PPC code of "SCJ" correlates to "requires SCI for assignment." I'm planning on calling AFPC on Tuesday to see what really needs to happen or what the deal is. Anyone else ever heard of this? The O-5 I work with just came from AFPC and could only figure they initiate an SCI for everyone to compensate for the back log. That way if anyone ever ends up needing it down the road, the ball is already rolling.

Gotta love MPF...they work 8-4 and usually don't know more about personnel issues than everyone else.

SCI approval is required by the time you graduate UPT. But you're right, shouldn't be required prior to even starting. Only thing required prior should be getting your paperwork done and initiating the process, it'll take the full year to do all the interviews/background checks. I know I had an investigator scrambling to get all mine done a couple weeks before I graduated.

[ 01. September 2006, 20:53: Message edited by: scawtiedog ]

Guest lakefisher

just put in the "paperwork" for it and let someone else worry about it. if you have all your historical work/living data, and some reference names/addresses, it won't take long to fill out the forms.

if you *don't* have all that stuff organized and tucked away where you won't lose it, this is a good time to organize it.

after submitting the information, wait a month, then ask security to verify that an investigation has been opened. After it's opened, people will contact you if they need more info.

you never know when a current TS will come in handy.

keep a good copy of whatever you submit, somewhere you won't lose it.

[ 01. September 2006, 21:48: Message edited by: lakefisher ]

Are you sure you guys aren't talking about an SSBI? Or some other obscure clearance-related abbreviation like DCID 1/14?

SCI is required for very specific reasons. I can't think of any type of access like that which a UPT student (or UPT graduate) would need.

I was also told that now all UPT studs must have a TS-SCI INITIATED prior to CSD. We have had MANY people start Phase I at CAFB without it completed. As a matter of fact, 90% of the Guard/Reserve bums don't have it completed prior to start. Mine was just completed in May which means that it took a little over a year to complete.

I am pretty sure that the only requirement prior to receiving orders is that the SSBI be initiated.

[ 02. September 2006, 11:14: Message edited by: aviator77 ]

TS and SCI are two different animals. I have heard of guys applying for their TS before training but not as a requirement. There are very few positions that require TS or SCI even once completed with trainng. Its that whole need to know thing. And R17 quit being .

Cooter

Originally posted by Cooter:

TS and SCI are two different animals. I have heard of guys applying for their TS before training but not as a requirement. There are very few positions that require TS or SCI even once completed with trainng. Its that whole need to know thing. And R17 quit being .

Cooter

That's what I thought too but most of the dudes that sit casual here at CAFB get their TS-SCI prior to class start. I know for a fact that mine is a TS-SCI (DCID 1/4). May be part of the new requirement.

[ 02. September 2006, 13:30: Message edited by: aviator77 ]

Guest cbire880

For guys picked up by OTS, they have to put the paperwork in to start an SSBI for a TS prior to getting an OTS class date if you are a Pilot or Nav select. It sounds cool to have, but that stuff is just a PITA when you get into it.

Hey guys, I just got "the call," so if some dudes pull up to your house/apartment in a black Lincoln, and/or there has been a black helicopter flying overhead for most of the morning, now you know why. I think the mods need to delete this thread and everyone that posted in it needs to look at this "pen" I am holding...

Although we have discussed it before, here's a recap...you need an SSBI done before you get a TS. Once you have a TS, if you need an SCI, you will be read into it. There is no more background investigating done for an SCI, it is just information that is more compartmented, meaning less people have a "need to know" about it. There are additional programs and/or levels you can be read into, depending on your "need to know" (notice that is the second time I have used that phrase, it is a very important factor when it comes to security clearances).

So, my best guess to all of this is that Big Air Force wants everyone going to UPT to complete the paperwork for their SSBI before going. As UPT and the time to complete a background investigation take about the same time, graduates will either have or be very close to having their TS clearance completed once they pin on their wings.

If you need to know more than that, contact your SSO. If you don't have one, or you don't know what an SSO is, then most likely you don't need to do an SSBI or need a TS. Feel free to PM me if there are any questions, I may even respond!

Cheers! M2

Originally posted by aviator77:

I know for a fact that mine is a TS-SCI (DCID 1/4).

"DCID 1/14" is essentially a euphamism for a TS clearance. It means "Director of Central Intelligence Directive" and references the location in that document where the definition and requirements for a TS clearance (and eligibility requirements for an SCI clearance) are located (chapter 1, paragraph 14, or something of the like).

Recently I've seen another variation on that with two different numbers (instead of 1/14), so I'm guessing the DCID has been rewritten or re-organized. The new numbers refer ostensibly to the new location of the same information.

According to a squadron security manager at Base X, they started using that on orders 5-10 years ago to avoid outright stating someone's clearance on official orders. It is probably not a requirement to use that, though, since I've seen all sorts of annotations on UPT grads' orders coming through IFF, from TS to SSBI to DCID.

I e-mailed the AFPC assignment folks a while back about this. For people on AD going to UPT, you have to initiate your security clearance before arriving to UPT. This is something that is done through your squadron security guy and is pretty easy. Submit paperwork and let OSI do the rest.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering how the actions of a sibling plays into getting a security clearance.

Without going into too many details on an open forum, a sibling of mine was an AD officer who got involved with some shady stuff. If anyone has expertise to lend I'd be happy to discuss it over a PM.

Thanks!

~DWCPilot

[ 30. September 2006, 05:51: Message edited by: Toro ]

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a situation where the references I gave turned out to be shady. They were all friends of mine in High School. By the time my investigation begun in the post 9/11 environment, two of the three references were on meth and were not having good lives. I still got the clearance.

Hope it helps and good luck.

• 1 month later...

I'm applying to OTS as a pilot select for this upcoming board. I've listed 5 speeding tickets I've gotten since I was 16. Now I know I've gotten more than 5 over this time period, I just have no documentation of any others, or any recollection of when or where they happened. So instead of listing tickets that I don't have any info on, I'm just going to leave them off.

If I get accepted and eventually do my security clearance, if they find these extra tickets on my record, will they look back at my OTS app and think I lied? Or do they not even look at the OTS app, and just focus on the SF-86? I'm not talking about the TS clearance, just the initial S clearance before or during OTS.

Originally posted by Rainman A-10:

Tell the truth.

Order your driving records for every state you've had a DL.

Tell the truth.

I 100% agree with the truth. But the problem is my driving record is clean since none of the offenses I did went on my record because of defensive driving or probation. If the security agency just looked at my driving record then they'd find nothing, but don't they dive deeper into the records and find all your offenses whether or not they ended up on your record?

The SF-86 (security form) has a comments section. If you can't find the details of the tickets due to them being removed from your record, just annotate it in the comments ("I had 5 tickets in the XX-XX timeframe which were removed from my record due to XXXX.")

Trust me, your tickets are on your record. The Defensive driving classes are just so you do not have to pay the fine (even though you really do with the class) and it is to help you with your auto insurance. Every citation that is ever written is documented with the police regardless of the outcome.

That being said, the only "records check" that I know if is going through NCIC and that is only going to show felonies. My GUESS would be that the investigators will get a NCIC report, and at the most might go to the local police station and pull a record or two.

If you signed a citation there is a paper trail back to you. Tell everything that happened and you do not have to worry.

Robes

Guest Rainman A-10

'Nuff said.

You have the answer to your question.

It sounds like you may be a slow learner, more than 5 speeding tickets is a lot. Multiple speeding tickets don't make you cool.

Ever think about slowing down?

Do the math to see how little time you actually save by driving 15 mph over the speed limit if you need something to think about to keep your mind busy while obeying traffic laws.

In the menatime, follow the advice you got here. It is simple and easy to remember, even for someone with a high octane supercharged bass pumpin' neon glowin' turbo lifestyle and short attention span...

Tell the truth.

Press.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a single agency that handles this for the whole US government? I had a question about security clearances (not so much AF at this point, more working for the government) and was wondering if anyone here knew someone I could call about it. Please PM me. Thanks.

P.S. Derka derka. team-america-20040719101833503-thumb.jpg

(just before anyone else says it)

[ 23. November 2006, 13:23: Message edited by: PapaJu ]

Guest mr_gordon777

I believe its OPM (Office of Personnel Mgmt)that conducts the actual investigations. They did my clearance investigation when I was a federal employee.

I think OPM has overall responsibility for clearances within the Federal government, and DIS does the legwork. At least that is my interpretation of the following statement I got from OPM's e-clearance web site:

OPM deployed the Clearance Verification System (CVS) on schedule January 31, 2003. CVS includes the linkage between OPM's Suitability and Security Investigations Index (SII), and the Department of Defense Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS), the two systems containing investigative and clearance information on over 98% of federal, military, and contract personnel. OPM continues to load and maintain a central repository of security clearances and eligibilities granted by civilian departments and agencies. OPM provides CVS system management, oversight and training for this activity.
But concerning specific questions, I would refer someone first to their own security office, then their local DIS office...

Cheers! M2