Security Clearance questions

PapaJu

Here's another question... I know the investigators are going to look at your credit history. What if you have a credit freeze on all three bureaus? I imagine that will throw up a huge red flag if an investigator can't access your credit. Am I expected to unfreeze my credit for the entirety of the SSBI? After hearing about the Equifax breach, I'm wary... 

36 minutes ago, GDAL said:

Here's another question... I know the investigators are going to look at your credit history. What if you have a credit freeze on all three bureaus? I imagine that will throw up a huge red flag if an investigator can't access your credit. Am I expected to unfreeze my credit for the entirety of the SSBI? After hearing about the Equifax breach, I'm wary... 

A credit freeze won’t stop their inquiry.

• Upvote 2

Here's a piggyback question related to the credit check. I realize this is so specific that probably no one can answer, but maybe it's worth a shot.

Since the investigation pipeline is so backed up right now and investigators may not review background check information for many months after the SF86 is submitted, is it plausible that another credit check could be conducted if something isn't to the investigators' liking and a significant period of time has passed since the initial one?

I submitted my SF86 in April, and from what I hear, the investigation process can take a year or more. My main concern is my credit history. I had some delinquencies in the past but they've all been resolved for 4+ years now (all were paid in full and none went to outside collection agencies). However, my overall amount of credit card and personal loan debt is pretty damn high (having an unplanned child was the main culprit). Luckily I've procured a significantly higher paying job recently and I should be able to pay off a very big chunk of that debt before I get to OTS next April. I've heard that some people end up doing interviews with investigators and some don't, so I assume it depends on if there are any specific factors that concern them. If they end up interviewing me a few months down the road because of financial concerns, could I have any luck requesting that they pull another credit report so that I can show proof that I've made huge progress on my debt since the first credit check? Or is the system probably too bogged down for them to bother with the extra work?

Edited by mb1685

1 hour ago, GDAL said:

I'm not worried about that, just curious if I need to unfreeze my credit.

I think he was responding to my post.

I’m not concerned about the actual FICO score either, but rather the contents of the credit report. I know excessive amounts of debt are something they look at as an indicator of ability to be bribed. So if they deem my level of debt (as of April) as being concerning, I’m curious if they’d be willing to obtain a more recent credit report since it will show the significant progress I’ve made on paying off debt. 

Edited by mb1685

Debt should only a problem if it is unreasonable for your background.  You went to med school for two years and then decided you wanted to be a pilot?  Shouldn't be a problem to have 100K debt.  You went on a week long bender in Vegas and racked up 50K in gambling debt?  That's a problem.  Your no kidding credit history, how many credit cards you've had, etc, is only relevant in so far as it determines if you are a responsible individual that can be trusted with our nation's secrets.

• Upvote 1

Got this from my civilian company security manager...

Can A Credit Freeze Impact Your Security Background Investigation?

In light of the recent Equifax cybersecurity breach a common question has been – Will a freeze on my consumer or credit report impact my security background investigation?

While a credit freeze can prevent identity theft and make it difficult for thieves to establish credit in your name, a credit freeze could impede OPM from accessing your credit report, even with a signed release form. A credit freeze may delay or stop your background investigation which can adversely affect your eligibility for a security clearance. If you are considering a credit freeze it is important to carefully read the e-QIP release forms when submitting your SF86.

In most instances a credit freeze will remain in effect until you request the reporting company to remove it. 

More information regarding a credit freeze can be found at the following link:  https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

Security Letter.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

A pilot buddy of mine has been waiting on his TS clearance. Finally he sees progress but the problem is an investigator has contacted both of his exwives. One he’s not worried about, but he does not get along with the other one, at all. Can this hurt his chances?

The only thing I think that can be brought up against him was a prior investigation about 2 years ago that was done on an unprofessional relationship with a girl (Senior Airman) that happened during their marriage. He was wrong and took his punishment and has bounced back from it. Now holds a leadership position. Does this hold any weight? 

Edited by Herkman
Spelling correction

19 hours ago, Herkman said:

Now holds a leadership position. Does this hold any weight? 

When I revealed buffoonery in my past, the main question was whether or not someone could use it against me to, say, influence me to reveal secrets or whatever.  In my case, I had been pretty open about it to folks, so it wasn't a deep dark secret I was trying to hide; my answer was "No," and that seemed to be satisfactory.

• 4 years later...
On 8/7/2004 at 8:57 PM, Guest Wxpunk said:

I'm pretty sure it will affect your security clearance. I think the train of thought is that you have financial deficiencies and you may be susceptible to a bribe in the future.

Obviously this isn't necessarily true in all cases, but it has to cross the clearance people's minds. Let's face it; they're paid to be paranoid.

My only advice would be to try all other avenues first. Find a legitimate, non-profit credit agency with a good history. See what they say. They may be able to help.

Another thing, you can request a hardship student loan deferral. Remember, these loans are usually backed by the government and have that option built in.

I guess what I'm saying is to apply bankruptcy like a tourniquet, use it as a very last option. Bankruptcy might very well crush your military aviation dreams, so think long and hard before doing it.

Good Luck!

-------------- 

https://cybersecurityforme.com/security-clearance-process-guide/

Wxpunk

Hey just looking for some quick info from guys who are in the know.. I'm trying to gather information in reference to possibly going overseas, however, all the firefighting jobs require a security clearance. I am a veteran, who has tried to obtain a security clearance in the past, however, I was denied and not sure why.. I can only speculate it was my less then favorable credit, or the fact that I didn't fill the packet out correctly(dotted Is and crossed Ts). Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to what hills im going to have to climb to get this done.. thanks in advance...

Any company's security manager can tell you why the denial is when they look in JPAS. However, many companies will not really be willing to spend money on someone to try to obtain a security clearance after they were previously denied.  

YMMV

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Upvote 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:57 AM, ctimms said:

Hey just looking for some quick info from guys who are in the know.. I'm trying to gather information in reference to possibly going overseas, however, all the firefighting jobs require a security clearance. I am a veteran, who has tried to obtain a security clearance in the past, however, I was denied and not sure why.. I can only speculate it was my less then favorable credit, or the fact that I didn't fill the packet out correctly(dotted Is and crossed Ts). Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to what hills im going to have to climb to get this done.. thanks in advance..

Are you currently a firefighter? I really can't believe you would be denied a security clearance if you passed your agency's background check because most LEO/FF background investigations are way more in depth and detailed than a SSBI. 

Unfortunately your options may be limited though. As mentioned above, once denied once, a company will just see that as a financial risk that you will be denied again. I believe you can also petition a FOIA request for the reason your clearance was denied if you submit one. If this is majorly important to you, you may start there, and then consider a clearance lawyer to litigate the governments adjudication. But youre talking a long road there. 

If you simply want to live oversees maybe consider something not US government affiliated. Maybe not many firefighting jobs but you'd be surprised at how you can apply that skillet to other fields. Expat businesses are always hurting for talent. 

I suspect it was the "less then favorable credit" part.  Any missing data from your forms will be addressed during your interview, but I hope you did a better job filling them out than you did with your original post (which I corrected.  You're welcome.)

More on the process here:  https://www.dcsa.mil/mc/pv/adjudications/

There's an appeal option here:  https://www.dcsa.mil/mc/pv/mbi/appeals/

By the way, JPAS was replaced by
Defense Information System for Security (DISS) in March 2021.