Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sneedro

Tanker to Fighter

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, gear3green said:

Wondering how hard would it be for a reserve Heavy bubba to get into fighters down the road. 

Two questions would be did they fly -38s in UPT a d how old are they. Plus they’d have to pass the bro check

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sprkt69 said:

Two questions would be did they fly -38s in UPT a d how old are they. Plus they’d have to pass the bro check

 Straight t-1 old fart at 32 and  likes to drink cheap beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly fairly low based mostly on age, secondly on non-T38. A lot of fighter guys are bailing from AD in that age range and it's unlikely a squadron would hire a non-fighter guy over current/qualified guys. But, it never hurts to go visit a unit, talk to the dudes/the CC and see what they say. Every unit is different, in a different manning situation ,etc. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brabus said:

Honestly fairly low based mostly on age, secondly on non-T38. A lot of fighter guys are bailing from AD in that age range and it's unlikely a squadron would hire a non-fighter guy over current/qualified guys. But, it never hurts to go visit a unit, talk to the dudes/the CC and see what they say. Every unit is different, in a different manning situation ,etc. 

Thanks brotha! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2004 at 10:47 PM, Guest AirGuardian said:

Puerto Rico Guard went from C-130s to F-16s at one time, had a few issues and a mishap I will not mention - and now they are back in 130s...

Does anyone have the real story of this so-called mishap (the F-16 one, not the WC-130)? I've heard the version that they crashed an F-16 in the ocean and didn't tell anyone about it until years later during an ORI or some other inspection, but I get the feeling there is some hyperbole weaved into that telling...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harambe said:

Any development on the heavy to fighter topic?

I heard the last crop was so successful they will be retraining heavy dudes without T-38 time now, but they are only selecting from a pool of current instructors with a history of zero downgrades, who were top 10% of their class in UPT, DG’d ROTC, have at least 1000 hours of combat time in the KC-135, high and tights, no kids, and at least one OPR with the word “tactical.”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Klepto said:

I heard the last crop was so successful they will be retraining heavy dudes without T-38 time now, but they are only selecting from a pool of current instructors with a history of zero downgrades, who were top 10% of their class in UPT, DG’d ROTC, have at least 1000 hours of combat time in the KC-135, high and tights, no kids, and at least one OPR with the word “tactical.”

Oh, so promising news!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am honestly curious. The AF just published that it wants 7 new fighter squadrons while simultaneously being short hundreds of fighter pilots. Surely there's opportunities there for T-38 dudes who missed the boat the first time. Am I wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Harambe said:

I am honestly curious. The AF just published that it wants 7 new fighter squadrons while simultaneously being short hundreds of fighter pilots. Surely there's opportunities there for T-38 dudes who missed the boat the first time. Am I wrong?

They won’t do it....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 7:52 PM, Harambe said:

I am honestly curious. The AF just published that it wants 7 new fighter squadrons while simultaneously being short hundreds of fighter pilots. Surely there's opportunities there for T-38 dudes who missed the boat the first time. Am I wrong?

Are these “new” squadrons supposed to be AD or AFRC? The articles I found didn’t clarify. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Are these “new” squadrons supposed to be AD or AFRC? The articles I found didn’t clarify. 

Let’s be honest, there’s no plan.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 9:07 PM, BattleRattle said:

Does anyone have the real story of this so-called mishap (the F-16 one, not the WC-130)? I've heard the version that they crashed an F-16 in the ocean and didn't tell anyone about it until years later during an ORI or some other inspection, but I get the feeling there is some hyperbole weaved into that telling...

Yes. Everyone screwed up from the controllers on up as I recall.  F-16 hits C|130 full of dudes and a lot die, nobody hid anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad flew tankers, fighters, and helos. It can be done and has been done by quite a few people. Some dudes in tankers now would make great fighter pilots. Some pilots flying fighters now should be on tankers. Your assignment out of UPT is exactly that; an assignment. It’s not your destiny. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the great 'Nam adventure, the advent of the F-4 in Big Blue and its policy of it being a two pilot airplane made the Oprah-like "You get a fighter!  And you get a fighter!" cry a reality.  Many, many dudes were voluntarily and involuntarily taken from their heavy to the mighty Phantom.

YMMV for results.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s the planned buy of the T-X scheduled to be? It would be better to just go back to generalized UPT and I hope we are able to do that in the future.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

What’s the planned buy of the T-X scheduled to be? It would be better to just go back to generalized UPT and I hope we are able to do that in the future.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ ive always wondered about this. I’m sure there’s a reason they went to SUPT years ago but seems if everyone went through the same track it would allow more flexibility down the road vs the current system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...