Tanker to Fighter

Sneedro

Honestly fairly low based mostly on age, secondly on non-T38. A lot of fighter guys are bailing from AD in that age range and it's unlikely a squadron would hire a non-fighter guy over current/qualified guys. But, it never hurts to go visit a unit, talk to the dudes/the CC and see what they say. Every unit is different, in a different manning situation ,etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brabus said:

Honestly fairly low based mostly on age, secondly on non-T38. A lot of fighter guys are bailing from AD in that age range and it's unlikely a squadron would hire a non-fighter guy over current/qualified guys. But, it never hurts to go visit a unit, talk to the dudes/the CC and see what they say. Every unit is different, in a different manning situation ,etc. 

Thanks brotha! 

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2004 at 10:47 PM, Guest AirGuardian said:

Puerto Rico Guard went from C-130s to F-16s at one time, had a few issues and a mishap I will not mention - and now they are back in 130s...

Does anyone have the real story of this so-called mishap (the F-16 one, not the WC-130)? I've heard the version that they crashed an F-16 in the ocean and didn't tell anyone about it until years later during an ORI or some other inspection, but I get the feeling there is some hyperbole weaved into that telling...

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Harambe said:

Any development on the heavy to fighter topic?

I heard the last crop was so successful they will be retraining heavy dudes without T-38 time now, but they are only selecting from a pool of current instructors with a history of zero downgrades, who were top 10% of their class in UPT, DG’d ROTC, have at least 1000 hours of combat time in the KC-135, high and tights, no kids, and at least one OPR with the word “tactical.”

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Klepto said:

I heard the last crop was so successful they will be retraining heavy dudes without T-38 time now, but they are only selecting from a pool of current instructors with a history of zero downgrades, who were top 10% of their class in UPT, DG’d ROTC, have at least 1000 hours of combat time in the KC-135, high and tights, no kids, and at least one OPR with the word “tactical.”

Oh, so promising news!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am honestly curious. The AF just published that it wants 7 new fighter squadrons while simultaneously being short hundreds of fighter pilots. Surely there's opportunities there for T-38 dudes who missed the boat the first time. Am I wrong?

11 minutes ago, Harambe said:

I am honestly curious. The AF just published that it wants 7 new fighter squadrons while simultaneously being short hundreds of fighter pilots. Surely there's opportunities there for T-38 dudes who missed the boat the first time. Am I wrong?

They won’t do it....

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 7:52 PM, Harambe said:

Are these “new” squadrons supposed to be AD or AFRC? The articles I found didn’t clarify. 

On 7/20/2018 at 9:07 PM, BattleRattle said:

Does anyone have the real story of this so-called mishap (the F-16 one, not the WC-130)? I've heard the version that they crashed an F-16 in the ocean and didn't tell anyone about it until years later during an ORI or some other inspection, but I get the feeling there is some hyperbole weaved into that telling...

Yes. Everyone screwed up from the controllers on up as I recall.  F-16 hits C|130 full of dudes and a lot die, nobody hid anything.

My dad flew tankers, fighters, and helos. It can be done and has been done by quite a few people. Some dudes in tankers now would make great fighter pilots. Some pilots flying fighters now should be on tankers. Your assignment out of UPT is exactly that; an assignment. It’s not your destiny. 

• Upvote 4

During the great 'Nam adventure, the advent of the F-4 in Big Blue and its policy of it being a two pilot airplane made the Oprah-like "You get a fighter!  And you get a fighter!" cry a reality.  Many, many dudes were voluntarily and involuntarily taken from their heavy to the mighty Phantom.

YMMV for results.   

3 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

What’s the planned buy of the T-X scheduled to be? It would be better to just go back to generalized UPT and I hope we are able to do that in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ ive always wondered about this. I’m sure there’s a reason they went to SUPT years ago but seems if everyone went through the same track it would allow more flexibility down the road vs the current system