Reserve/Guard in college?

PapaJu

Was thinking...would it be worth it to go in Guard/Reserve during college if it helped my pilot chances? I'm not just doing it to help my pilot chances, I think it would also just benefit me overall as a person. I have two concerns though: a) What happens in terms of deployment if it's the middle of the semester? Is the two-week deployment during the summer or is it held at any point of the year? And what field is deployed the least? I guess if I got sent somewhere in the middle of a semester I could make up credits in the summer session, but I'm sure it's be a royal pain. B) What's the deal with splitting up basic and technical between two summers that I've read about (and yes I know there are a lot of disadvantages to it, first and foremost I'd be an Airman with no skill but still required to attend drill)? Again, school gets in the way.

BTW, if it matters, I'd most likely be at the 919th SOW, 920th Rescue, or 125th FW (Guard). Thanks.

I have a friend from school who did the Guard duirng college. He never got deployed, but if I remember correctly his 2 weeks a year were done 1 week which fell during our fall semester and the other week done during our spring semester. That is how his unit worked. Cannot say that is how all units work, but just how my friend's unit operated, so take it for what that is worth. And he split is basic and tech schools between 2 summers.

Guest riceowl63

I had a friend who got sent to the war in Iraq and missed a whole year of school. He was a Marine Reservist, but I'd bet it happens in the Guard too. He's making up the missed year right now.

I was in the Reserves while in college back in the late 80's, after I completed my active duty enlistment (I had two years of inactive Reserve time on my enlistment following active duty, so it was easy to jump up to the active Reserves). The world was a different place back then, and 20 years ago I would have recommended it. It was a great experience for me, my annual tours were easily knocked out during the summer and it was nice to still be able to "play" Air Force while in AFROTC and school. However, in this day and age I am not sure I would do it (sts) all over again, with the number of call-ups and deployments going on, the chances of missing a lot of school are just too high for it to be beneficial.

On the flip side it does get you an "in" with the unit you are considering applying for. A bud of mine from school was also in the same Reserve wing I was in, but later switched to a Florida Guard unit and later got a slot with them. He flew Vipers for a while, then converted over to Eagles. Not bad, eh?

It's a noble thought, but in my not-so-humble opinion I would advise against it, unless you are willing to take that chance of deploying and are in no rush to finish school. If you can spare the extra time for basic/tech school/deployments, then consider it. However, I recall talking to a Reservist SP at the gate at Del Rio, he was on a two-year call-up and sitting in the middle of BF west Texas. Another thing to consider is who will take care of all your "stuff" while you are gone, if/when you go.

I know I really haven't been much help, it is a difficult question to answer. Good luck with your decision...it's a tough call!

Cheers! M2

Guest CrewDawg1

I am currently in college and also in the Air National Guard. To date I have been very fortunate to not have been deployed, I have a feeling that might change once we get done with our ORI this summer! But it has been the best thing that I could have done. I'm getting my college paid for with the 100% tuition and I am also getting the GI Bill and kicker. If I wasn't getting all my civilian flight ratings I would be getting paid to go to college! It will be nice to come out of college debt free or relatively small college loans to pay back.

As far as the 2 weeks a year, at least with my unit we share a 90 day deployment with 2 other units. We each take a month and then we break it down even more where we go for about 2 ½ weeks. You can volunteer to stay longer but most off us in college don’t unless it’s in the summer. Unfourtanly some of our trips are in the school year, but missing 2 weeks isn’t that bad and most teachers are willing to work with you. Now if you do get deployed during a semester depending on where you’re at you will probably have to make up the credits. If it’s near the end of the semester then your prof’s might let you bypass the final and give you your current grade or take the final early.

If you want to be a pilot in the guard then I would say that joining the unit that you want to fly for would significantly increase your chances of getting a pilot slot. I’m a Crew Chief on F-16’s and the last 6 pilot slots have been filled by Crew Chiefs. There also have been some guys from back shop’s get selected. My unit seems to pick more from the maintenance side but maybe noone else applies. When we do go on trips we hang out and party with the pilots, which really helps out when it comes time to interview. It’s a lot easier when you know them and they know you, it’s not just some guy sitting across the table, it’s a guy you know well and have partied with. If you don’t want to be deployed then go to finance or some other “noner” job. You get paid the same and get to wear your blues and sit in an air conditioned or heated office. Like MajorMadMax said, be careful with the SP’s they were the first to get deployed form my unit and were gone quite a while. Now we have some poor army National Guard MP’s deployed across the state to our base.

As far as getting through college in a hurry, I took a year off after high school went through basic and tech school and I’m still graduating the with my friends from high school that went straight into college. With my job I got 38 credit hours of college credit. My degree requires a lot of electives so this worked out well.

Anyway sorry to be so long winded but hope it helps out. Send me a PM if you have anymore questions.

[ 31. May 2004, 13:05: Message edited by: CrewDawg1 ]

Guest WMU-DChi

There’s no question that joining the guard can be one of the best experiences of your life. I am just finishing college and in the Wisconsin Air National Guard. As far as your specific questions, becoming part of the unit can help you quite a bit in the pilot selection process. I am in the maintenance unit, and was selected to attend UPT. I was able to talk to dozens of pilots and future board members. They will get to know you, and that you want to be a pilot someday. It will also benefit you as an overall person as you stated, my grades improved significantly after joining.

As far as what happens in case of deployment in the middle of the semester, it depends on what college you attend. In the case of mine, they would refund all your tuition and allow you to make up the classes when you returned. The two weeks a year can be done virtually at any time, I do mine in the summer. You can split basic and tech school over two summers as my brother did when he joined. I would not recommend this, and instead take off a regular semester during the school year, it’s not as bad as you think.

Guest Windchill

I am in the Air National Guard. I was finishing up my last semester of college . . . the week of mid-terms I got a phone call about getting deployed for 6-months to a year, and flew out the following week. I was only gone for 5 months, but stayed on active duty for another 7, this was Mar 03-04. I'm still in the process of independently finishing up my courses.

Once you sign on that dotted line, you belong to the government, and the mission comes first . . . it doesn't matter if you're in college.