Track Selects and Assignment Nights

Guest oliwoody

go fck yourself PM me if you want more info no other poster gives two $hits about this "argument"

let's get back on track (no pun intended) and let's see some assignment night results 

If you're going to publicly call some dude out for being a terrible pilot and having a terrible attitude, back it up. Otherwise, don't do it.
  • Upvote 2

First i didn't publicly call out anyone...i called out nameless and anonymous ex-drone FNGs

Except communities are small and people can easily figure out who you're talking about. Far more "anonymous" than anonymous.

ok fine. radio calls too long...singing radio calls, unable to prioritize checklist running appropriately, telling the IP how he (stud) is right when he's wrong (talking about a local departure procedure), not sure how to work sensor, etc etc etc. extreme quibbling every time IP gave any type of correction/instruction "yeah i know that", "yeah i was about to do that"...always had to have the last word...

Finally. Previously you just sounded like a butt hurt whiner, frankly. No, I'd agree these are not great, and things like "unsure how to work sensor" absolutely go back to a concern I listed previously, not studying tactics.

11 hours ago, carminsandiego said:

with the 11B shortage, how have they been managing to drop only fighters?  Are we expecting to see a shit ton of bomber drops out of 38s or are they going to be dropping them out of T1s very soon? 

Apparently the fighter shortage is worse than the bomber shortage.  Our FTU is about 50% manned right now, so even if they gave us more students I'm not sure we really have the capacity to put them through in a timely manner.

Apparently the fighter shortage is worse than the bomber shortage.  Our FTU is about 50% manned right now, so even if they gave us more students I'm not sure we really have the capacity to put them through in a timely manner.

Just out of curiosity, which FTU?

There have been some rumors floating around about bombers starting to drop from the T-1 side.

The latest word I heard from UPT bases involved track select becoming 3 fold instead of just T1/T38. It would consist of: heavy (T1 only), fighter (T38 only) and bomber (T38 to start then transition to T1 at some point)

I don't think it's the most insane idea I've ever heard, but no clue as to it's validity

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Being even newer than a new guy, I can't help but wonder: why is it that this never really happened before? Are Tones not really suitable for 11B training? I talked to this old colonel once who said that in his day, TAC and SAC had completely different mentalities in how they approached air. Was this true, and is it true today for ACC and GSC?

SAC tactics didn't perform well in a real war: http://www.historynet.com/the-11-day-war.htm. All platforms (especially bombers) need the aggressiveness and skilled pushing up to the limits taught in tactical aviation. Even if your airplane only pulls 2 G, fly every threat reaction to 2.0 G. 1.7 isn't conservative, it's a debrief point. 

Finally, ACC uses failure to improve yourself and others in the debrief. AMC and AFGSC use it to generate Q-3s and FEBs. 

Edited by magnetfreezer
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Ulysses said:

why is it that this never really happened before? Are Tones not really suitable for 11B training?

For a time in the early '00s, bombers did come from the T-1 track.  There even used to be a short T-38 postgraduate top-off program called "Introduction to Bomber Fundamentals".

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Inertia17 said:

There have been some rumors floating around about bombers starting to drop from the T-1 side.

We tried that before.  Results were mixed at best.

Edited to add: still doesn't solve the throughput problem when your FTU is only 50% manned and you don't have enough jets for the FTU lines.

Edited by pawnman
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Being even newer than a new guy, I can't help but wonder: why is it that this never really happened before? Are Tones not really suitable for 11B training? I talked to this old colonel once who said that in his day, TAC and SAC had completely different mentalities in how they approached air. Was this true, and is it true today for ACC and GSC?

So correct me if I am completely throwing out chaff and flares here as I only went to UPT at a place with 38s only but from what I have been told and discussed in the squadron is that studs that fly T-1s (nowadays at least) usually pick their top choices based off location and lifestyle. That being said, all bomber locations are pretty heinous (Minot, Dyess, Shreveport, Whiteman, etc). While the missions are cool as in you wipe bad guys off the face of the map, you never even land in or see the world really (C17 bros snapchat me drinking wine in Italy on a TDY while I'm sitting in the Deid). Therefore, your top T1 dudes put heavy platforms that are in sweet locations and land at even sweeter locations. Now if this is true and that you give your top studs what they want, then you give the bottom part of T1 guys the bombers (this is what they are doing with UAVs to T1 studs). As Pawnman mentioned before, the results are mixed. Can these bottom graduation dudes in T1 somehow learn to have great hands in these jets and push it up? Possibly. Or is it more likely that they get stuck in a jet they don't want, in a place they don't want, in a mission they don't want and all of this for a guaranteed commitment of ten years. You make pretty bitter people doing that which is dangerous in its own way. You cannot have the latter flying these planes because you need to have an aggressive 38 like attitude to fly through a SAM MEZ knowing that you will get shot at and you will most likely get hit (no one is out maneuvering a SAM at 2.0 G), but need to drop bombs on target on time.  

This was the problem currently going in my community until recently. We had older pilots that flew the T1 that showed a lackluster performance in these jets. The thinking then was we need to get dudes that we not the bottom of the barrel to revitalize the squadrons especially since we are seeing combat. Hence now why the last 2 years we have been getting T38 studs in the FTU that got bombers as a must assign who were very capable of going to something with a pointy nose. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Razor666 said:

Lots of text

So, bomber dudes need to have "an aggressive T-38 attitude," the T-38 guys who go to bombers are "not the bottom of the barrel," bomber guys need to "learn to have great hands in these jets," and that T-1 guys will get "stuck in a jet they don't want" while T-38 guys are putting bombers at the top of their dream sheets?

glmRyiSI3v5E4.gif

• Upvote 8

On 9/23/2016 at 10:05 AM, Ulysses said:

This has happened before... multiple times. It's cyclical like all of the UPT drops and all of the conversations in this thread. These exact same conversations were happening when this forum first opened up.